Vancouver answers from a Vancouverite

vickie_bernie

Thank you Vickie for asking.

Our ship docks at Canada Place and if you have just one day to spend in Vancouver, can you visit both the Capilano Bridge, Stanley Park and have some time to shop? I think we have to be onboard by 7:00pm. If not, which one is best for a first time visit?

Do you know if Stanley Park puts out it's own visitor guide?

I received my Vancouver visitor guide today and discovered that the hop-on hop off bus does not go to Capilano Bridge, how do you get there from the pier?

Wherever we go my husband must get a Harley T-shirt. Is there a Harley Davidsion shop near the Pier or Stanley Park?

Thank you, Therese

Yes, both stops should be possible but you are going to have a full day, particularly by bus. I am surprised that the hop on bus doesn’t stop at the Capilano Suspension Bridge as it would go right by on its way to the Grouse Mountain Tramway. I’d check again on that. Stanley Park is a huge park, one that you could spend a few days seeing, so with only a few hours you are only going to see a little of it.

To my knowledge Stanley Park doesn’t have a separate brochure but here is the Par Dept.’s website for the park http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/parks/stanley/index.htm

As for a Harley – Davidson T-shirt, the Vancouver Harley dealer is Trev Deeley who is located on the extreme east boundary of the city. The good news is that you could probably order one from them, they have been around forever and known to be very reliable people. Here is their website: http://www.trevdeeley.com/

Thank you Vickie for asking.

Our ship docks at Canada Place and if you have just one day to spend in Vancouver, can you visit both the Capilano Bridge, Stanley Park and have some time to shop? I think we have to be onboard by 7:00pm. If not, which one is best for a first time visit?

Do you know if Stanley Park puts out it's own visitor guide?

I received my Vancouver visitor guide today and discovered that the hop-on hop off bus does not go to Capilano Bridge, how do you get there from the pier?

Wherever we go my husband must get a Harley T-shirt. Is there a Harley Davidsion shop near the Pier or Stanley Park?

Thank you, Therese

Capilano is on the North Shore, it will take only about 40 min by car (depending on bridge traffic) and over an hour by transit (depending on connections).

Stanley Park is right down town and can be accessed by transit quite easily.

If you only have a day I would not miss Stanley Park. When you leave the park you can go to Robson Street area and do some shopping. Then it is a short bus trip, or walk to the pier.

You could always drop your bags at the pier with the porter then head out for some exploring then check in closer to leave time.

Gastown is right there at the pier too, but it is very touristy.

there are many other great areas to explore - China Town (2nd largest in north america), Queen Elizabeth Park, Brodway corridor, 4th Avenue/Kitts and many more. But with limited time I would recommend Stanley Park.... you may want to look at the hop on hop off bus.

with regards to Harley Tshirt, I don't know. There is a great harley store but it is a 40 min drive away. Here is their website.

http://www.trevdeeley.com/

here is the website for stanley park

http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/Parks/parks/stanley/

Hi Vickie,

thanks for your assistance.

Can you recommend a good restaurant within walking distance from the Century Plaza?

Well there are so many restaurants to choose from and I don't want to specifically state one as it depends what you are looking for and price range.

If you walk north (towards mountains) on Burrard turn left at Robson and there are tons of restaurants. Or walk south (away from mountains) and right at Davie and you will be walking in the West End and there are great restaurants there. Walking is a great way to get around and your hotel is very central.

Hi, I have some questions about taking the Amtrak Bus to Vancouver.

Is it comfortable and how many stops are there? How long will the ride be and how is it going through customs?

TIA!

Gina

hi gina, I don't have an answer for you as I've never taken this train, we usually drive. Hopefully someone else here will know the answer, but I also think I've seen this question asked before on the regular West Coast discussion board. You may want to look there or do a search.

sorry

Yes, this has been dicussed in a number of threads if you do a search. Remember though if you do the Amtrac Bus it is a bus and not the train. Evidently there is only one train in either direction each day. So you may want to do some checking on priceing from other bus lines or shuttles. Here is a website that I have copied from the Port of Vancouver's web site: http://www.quickcoach.com/ and they will take you right to the cruise ship terminal thus saving cab fares when you get to Vancouver.

Thanks for your assistance Vickie.

I'm looking forward to my visit, and hoping the spring weather is going to be fantastic on 26 April. ;)

D

no problem, we are having wonderful weather right now! Certainly didn't need a jacket today and shorts could of been worn. The jasmin is blooming and the smell is out of this world. The early flowering trees have buds forming....

April is usually nice but we can have rain at any time!

ok my gf will "kill" me for this but are there any good scrapbooking shops in Vancouver/Richmond please

http://www.makingmemorieswithscrapbooking.com/page/page/1657990.htm

http://www.scrapbookwarehouse.com/

http://www.myscrapbookshop.com/

The first two are in vancouver, the last one is in Langley, an hour outside of the city.

I use to scrapbook, but now I do it all digitally.

I have been on some dinner cruises over the years and I would describe them as just average. Generally nothing is cooked on board, everything is cooked ashore and put into steam tables until dinner time. Vancouver harbor is a working port and I wouldn't describe it as beautiful. However, if your cruise takes you out of the harbor, under the Lions Bridge, around Stanley Park and into Enlglish Bay, False Creek and Spanish Banks, I might have a different opinion. The other thing to take into consideration is the weather, in the spring & fall there is more likelyhood of rain and who wants a dinner cruise in the rain, however on a summer evening it can be really quite lovely. If I really wanted a dinner with a view I would probably head for Harbor Centre with its revolving restaurant or one of the other waterfront eateries that have been mentioned in other threads. A real good waterfront seafood restaurant is the Cannery which is in east Vancouver and about a $15 cab ride from downtown.

Does anyone know if this is worth doing?

I would have to say of all the dinner cruises I've been on the dinner is not the greatest; however the sailing is. And Vancouver has one of the most beautiful harbours. Most cruises take you either around Stanley Park and into English Bay or some go up Burrard Inlet to Indian Arm. Both are very nice.

I can also highly recommend the Cannery Seafood restaurant, but you will need a reservation.

We will be flying into YVR the night before our cruise and we would like to stay near the port, but also be within walking distance to some culture of the city. What hotels would you suggest and how about some local favorite restaurants.? Thank you for taking questions.

We will be flying into YVR the night before our cruise and we would like to stay near the port, but also be within walking distance to some culture of the city. What hotels would you suggest and how about some local favorite restaurants.? Thank you for taking questions.

The port is right in the city and prices for hotels are quite pricy. There are also some lower end hotels in bad locations -

I wouldn't hesitate to stay on the south side of the city, say on Broadway (I think it is a holiday Inn) or others as there is a lot within walking distance and it is a little less expensive. Also transit makes it much easier to get around too.

For a hotel in the city near the port, well I love the Westin Bayshore right besides Stanley Park, a little bit of a walk to downtown (10 min) but a beautiful one. There are too many to mention, and all will do.

Restaurants, need more info and price range.

The port is right in the city and prices for hotels are quite pricy. There are also some lower end hotels in bad locations -

Restaurants, need more info and price range.

Yes, it is the bad locations, that we would like to avoid. Some of the research I have done have brought me to the following:

Stay: Days Inn Downtown, 921 West Pender st.

Dinner, July 3: ?

Brunch, July 4: provided with hotel

Activities: one is to visit Caffe Artigiano on 740 West Hastings Street but would like some more.

What is this area of the city like and and do you know of the hotel or coffee shop that I have mentioned? Also, dinner for the night we all arrive. Something casual in the teen price range (per dish). And something to see or do on July 4. We will have 4 children (17, 13,12,8) 4 adults in their 40's and 1 adult in their 70's.

Thank you for your help.

The Days in on Pender is an old hotel that used be called the Abbotsford Hotel, I worked next door to it in the mid 60 and early 70’s. It was remodeled a number of years ago and now flys the Days flag. I can’t speak for its rooms but locationaly it is in the heart of the business community and there are certainly no issues with it except for the occasional panhandler which you are going to find anywhere in Vancouver. Dinner, there is the Hys Steak house just south on Hornby Dt. which would be a little pricey, the revolving restaurant at Harbour Centre just to the south which would give you a good view of the city with average food and any number of other eateries in close proximity. You might also be interested in Stanley Park which is quite accessible by transit, here is a link to the parks website: http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/parks/parks/stanley/

We have reservations at the Best Western Downtown, 718 Drake St. How is this location? We will be in Vancouver from early Wednesday afternoon until the cruise on Friday. We are trying to decide whether to just do our own thing or take some kind of tour. How is public transportation in the downtown area?

Thanks so much for offering you help and advice. It is always helpful to have a local advise you when you travel.

The BW Downtown is just fine locationally, not a crime area, you will find a few panhandlers around but that has become quite the norm in Vancouver; few if any are aggressive, a simple “NO” sends them away. You will be at the entrance to Yaletown which was once the close in warehouse neighbourhood but has transitioned in recent years to a very trendy residential area with lots of shops, restaurants and pubs. You will be just off Granville St. where there is lots of transit which connect you to anywhere in the city. I think you have picked a good spot to spend a few days.

As to tours, when I am in a new city I like to take a Greyline bus tour then spend some time visiting spots and attractions that have caught my attention.