QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

Anyone sailing on the QE2 January 3, 2006? My brother and I just confirmed on the sailing. We are taking the 6-day Transatlantic crossing from Southampton to NY. It's actually the first segment of the World Cruise and Cunard has been offering some pretty good deals.

This will probably be my last time on QE2, and although I was not completely satisfied with my first experience on the ship, everything deserves a second chance. I really enjoyed the ship itself, my fellow passengers, and the atmosphere ... it was the food, service, and air conditioning that were the culprits.

This time we booked in Caronia Class which should offer a better experience. I just hope the air conditioning has been improved.

Ernie

I'll be onboard for the crossing too. I did last December's QE2 crossing and loved it, though there were a few things that I could criticize, but overall I had a great time. At the very least, you should enjoy the ambiance of the Caronia dining room better.

I will also be crossing with a friend in Caronia - we did the 2002 Trans Atlantic (met Ernie & a few others in the Yacht Club.....but thats another story....) and had a great time....Will bring my 1971 QE2 Deck Plan which arrived this morning - interesting to note how many Cabin grades Cunard had then - 19 - compared with the Princess regime's 24 covering the same cabins, plus ca change.....

Looking forward to a great trip - shame the deck chairs/multiple blankets with reserved chairs on the Sun Deck are no more - Funnel Bar now...

Peter

I will also be crossing with a friend in Caronia - we did the 2002 Trans Atlantic (met Ernie & a few others in the Yacht Club.....but thats another story....) and had a great time....Will bring my 1971 QE2 Deck Plan which arrived this morning - interesting to note how many Cabin grades Cunard had then - 19 - compared with the Princess regime's 24 covering the same cabins, plus ca change.....

Looking forward to a great trip - shame the deck chairs/multiple blankets with reserved chairs on the Sun Deck are no more - Funnel Bar now...

Peter

Guernseyguy,

Have they stopped the reserved chairs on the Sun Deck now that it is the Funnel Bar? We didn't try last December on the Transatlantic but were intending to reserve chairs for our 30th August cruise.

I might might might might might might might be there. Might might might. I have to raise the money first. I'm thinking of forgoing Christmas gifts and asking relatives to help out with the trip instead...that's how much I want to go!

It's only August so there will be some price drops to come.

I would expect to see a price of $1099 easily and possibly $919 by October time. Just keep an eye on the prices and working on your relatives. You are running out of chances remember as time is going to start runnng out for QE2 in the next few years.

It's only August so there will be some price drops to come.

I would expect to see a price of $1099 easily and possibly $919 by October time. Just keep an eye on the prices and working on your relatives. You are running out of chances remember as time is going to start runnng out for QE2 in the next few years.

Actually, the starting prices are already lower than that, and they include one-way air from the East Coast to London ... and transfers from London to Southampton. It's a pretty amazing deal.

Ernie

Are those prices direct from Cunard? I can't find them on the site - just regular EBS. I also want to go Caronia, since I'd rather have the single seating, and I feel more comfortable in a higher-up, outside cabin. I know it's just a porthole, and you probably have to go down an alley to see it, but I like knowing that if I want to see the ocean, I can.

Are those prices direct from Cunard? I can't find them on the site - just regular EBS. I also want to go Caronia, since I'd rather have the single seating, and I feel more comfortable in a higher-up, outside cabin. I know it's just a porthole, and you probably have to go down an alley to see it, but I like knowing that if I want to see the ocean, I can.

Yes, the prices are direct from Cunard, but they are not published on the Cunard website. In fact this six-day crossing was not even marketed to N. America. You have to call Cunard direct or your travel agent.

Ernie

Peter

Peter,

Do you has the dress code on these crossing changed? Can I still expect four formal nights and two informal (first and last night?).

I recall reading about the dress code being loosened a bit (the dismay of many), but that might not be the case on this crossing.

Thanks!

Ernie

Peter,

Do you has the dress code on these crossing changed? Can I still expect four formal nights and two informal (first and last night?). I recall reading about the dress code being loosened a bit (the dismay of many), but that might not be the case on this crossing.Thanks! Ernie

Ernie,

The dress code change was for the QM2's Trans Atlantics, iirc, and QM2 Trans Atlantics are 3 formal/1 informal.

QE2 is casual first & last, then formal for sea days - so that will make it four formals - just as it should be!

Peter

Ernie,

The dress code change was for the QM2's Trans Atlantics, iirc, and QM2 Trans Atlantics are 3 formal/1 informal.

QE2 is casual first & last, then formal for sea days - so that will make it four formals - just as it should be!

Peter

Thanks Peter. That is slightly different than our 2002 crossing. Dress code was four formal nights, and two informal nights (jacket and tie still required). There were no casual nights which surprised me, since usually the last night is always casual.

Ernie

Two more here, also in Caronia. My partner will be making his first crossing on QE2, and is very excited about it. For me, this feels like a "make-up" trip; was on last December crossing to NY, but came down with truly hideous cold on the morning of the second full day out, recovering enough to leave my cabin by breakfast of the last day before arrival.. I spent a lot of time looking out of my porthole at the Atlantic, reading and sleeping, which hadn't been my original plan at all.

Four and half months to go... I feel so landlocked!

Two more here, also in Caronia. My partner will be making his first crossing on QE2, and is very excited about it. For me, this feels like a "make-up" trip; was on last December crossing to NY, but came down with truly hideous cold on the morning of the second full day out, recovering enough to leave my cabin by breakfast of the last day before arrival.. I spent a lot of time looking out of my porthole at the Atlantic, reading and sleeping, which hadn't been my original plan at all.

Four and half months to go... I feel so landlocked!

Welcome Ken! I look forward to meeting you and your partner (a virgin!) ... and hopefully you will feel better this time. Maybe we can organize a little cocktail reception the first night so we all get to know each other?

Landlocked in SFO??? I don't' think so. ;) I'm in Atlanta ... now that is landlocked!

Bye for now,

Ernie

Hello Peter,

Some traditions are not ready to die just yet.

On last December's crossing, the Sun Deck stewards were very willing to accomodate us 'traditionalists'.

As the Funnel Bar is not really used during a winter crossing, the stewards moved around the tables and chairs and had the deck chairs lined up under the overhang, just like they used to be.

There were plenty of blankets for all who wanted (needed!) one (or several), along with hot boullion and crackers at 11:00 and hot tea.

The chairs were not reserved, but that is not really necessary on a winter crossing. All the usual suspects could be found up there daily.

The nirvana of reclining in a Cunard teak deck chair, wrapped up cozily in a heavy steamer rug, sipping on hot boullion or tea served by the deck steward, surrounded by familiar faces, in the chilly air of the North Atlantic, was a tradition that lived on last December on QE2, and I'm sure will live on this January.

See you up there?

Kyle

Welcome Ken! I look forward to meeting you and your partner (a virgin!)

Only in the technical sense, Ernie, we were both on QM2's inaugural WB transatlantic in a year ago April. He hasn't been on QE2 yet, so that makes him almost a virgin.

The Champagne Bar sounds like a good meeting place and is, I believe, one of the least-changed areas of the ship. A good place to start!

The Champagne Bar sounds like a good meeting place and is, I believe, one of the least-changed areas of the ship. A good place to start!

Absolutely! I think it's open from 7pm to 9pm so maybe 7:30 would be a good time? Of course we don't have to decide right now as the voyage is still some months away.

Ernie

My wife and I are booked for the crossing too..actually have been since February.

When we sailed on QE2's crossing last December it was four nights formal and two night informal.

See you all in January !!

Tom

Welcome Tom, and to your wife as well. I look forward to meeting both of you.

Best,

Ernie

Welcome Tom, and to your wife as well. I look forward to meeting both of you.

Best,

Ernie

Ernie:

Thank you. It's very kind of you to go to the trouble to mention us by name. We too look forward to meeting you and some of the other CC regulars.

We've learned from experience how much fun it can be to finally meet -in the flesh- a fellow CC contributor. We met Richard, who posts quite frequently, on the last December's QE2 crossing and found him to be a wonderful guy. We've been in touch with him since the last trip; he too is making the upcoming transatlantic voyage on QE2, and we're meeting up with him prior to embarking on the 3rd of January.

Ah...you've got to like people who love ships !!!

Cheers!!

Tom;)

There's a few from this board going, many of us did the 15Dec04 and quite a few did the winter 2003 crossing. It's the winter crossing club.

I've been a winter crossing club member since 2000. Count me in for January!

Chris, in NW PA

Archived