International Driver's license in Greece?

Motorcycle Gma

We always have one. It is sometimes expired, but we have one. In all our years of driving in Greece, Turkey, etc. we have fortunately never been asked for one. Not once for car rentals worldwide....but there is always a first time.

Last year we paid E25 per day for rentals on various Greek Islands. That seemed to be the standard rate on three of the islands. Less on the mainland and Crete but we had week-10 day rentals.

It's not so much that the rental companies want an international license. Usually only the bug companies, such as Avis might ask for it.

BUT if you get stoped by the cops THEY will ask to see it. Also, if you are involved in even the slightest accident and dong have the international license ti show, it could be a hassle.

We have rented from Avis, Hertz, Sixt, etc in Europe, South America, Central America, South Africa,and Australia for the past 30 years. I have never been asked for my iInternational drivers lic. This surprised me. Even got stopped in Turkey but was not asked for it. We have rented in Greece often. They have only ever asked for a regular DL. Athens in town, airport, Islands, and at least three times in Crete. Majors and the small independents on the islands were all the same.

I got a new one last year to rent cars in Chile, Panama, and Costa Rica. No one asked or wanted to see it. Kept the previous one in my carry on for four years until it fell apart. They are valid for one year. Now I get one only in case of an accident and the authorities ask for it. So I always have one...but it may have expired last year. It is not so much of a DL as it is a translation of your DL.

Edited by iancal

It's not so much that the rental companies want an international license. Usually only the bug companies, such as Avis might ask for it.

BUT if you get stoped by the cops THEY will ask to see it. Also, if you are involved in even the slightest accident and dong have the international license ti show, it could be a hassle.

I guess that could be a big trouble!

We have rented from Avis, Hertz, Sixt, etc in Europe, South America, Central America, South Africa,and Australia for the past 30 years. I have never been asked for my iInternational drivers lic. This surprised me. Even got stopped in Turkey but was not asked for it. We have rented in Greece often. They have only ever asked for a regular DL. Athens in town, airport, Islands, and at least three times in Crete. Majors and the small independents on the islands were all the same....

That's true. I've also never been asked to show the international license when renting from the major companies.

However there is nearly always a clause somewhere when booking a car on line, that an international license must be produced when collecting the car. So i rather spend a few $ to get it, than kissing hundreds good bye ifcthet refuse to hand over the key because I don't have it.

Only twice have we been asked for the international driver license. That was in Chios and Santorini. It's good to have it because it's the law. If your in a accident and don't have one then your insurance will not cover the damages. They are roughly $20 from AAA of office. Bring a passport photo and go right before you leave because they are only good for 1 year. You get it same day.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is worth noting that while rental companies may not ask to see an international driver's license to rent a vehicle, it is the law in Greece for a visitor to be in possession of one while operating a motor vehicle.

Another thing to consider is that it's possible that somewhere in the fine print of the rental contract that one signs, that any sort of prohibited driving(SEE: not being in possession of a required by law IDL in Greece) may void the protections of said rental contract. IE. If one damages the vehicle -- the insurance company may be able to refuse to provide coverage due to this potential breach.

We reserved a rental car in Corfu for our day in port last year. I wavered if it was worth it to go down to the AAA and drop the $20 to get an IDL before going. I finally and went ahead purchased it before we left for the peace of mind for: "What if?".

I was never asked to produce it at the rental agency, nor did I have any accidents or contact with any law enforcement the day that we drove around the island.

I guess the advice here is: Sure you can take a risk and probably get away with it, if luck is in one's favor...However if luck goes against one's favor...

Personal choice.

Edited by Skai

Thanks, all. Do I need one if renting a scooter??

This from the US State Department (2016)

:

"License Requirements: Tourists and temporary residents who will stay in Greece for fewer than 185 days and plan to drive must carry a valid U.S. license as well as an international driver's permit (IDP). Failure to have both documents may result in police detention or other problems. Fines for drivers without complete documentation are high. The U.S. Department of State has designated two organizations to issue IDPs to those who hold valid U.S. driver's licenses: AAA and the National Automobile Club. Issuance of an IDP is quick and inexpensive, but must generally be done before a traveler leaves the United States."

My neighbor, whose uncle is a police officer in Greece (Rhodes) confirms this.

He said that rental agencies are very unlikely to ask for an International license (or ANY license in many cases), But the police is obliged to ask for it in case of traffic stops or accidents.

I bought one from my AAA office last year for my cruise to Greece. I ended up just renting once in Olympia.

I treat it like insurance, you don't need it till you need it. I think it's a pretty cool souvenir of my trip. I will get another one for this October. Or maybe just use my old one.

As Dirty Harry said "do you feel lucky punk".😀

• 10 months later...
How much is it to rent a car in Crete? Will using a certain credit card cover the insurance or do you pick up the extra insurance.

We hired a car in Crete from The Best car hire. It had been recommended to me by a member on Tripadvisor. I think it is Austrian or German run.

We have a separate car insurance policy for hire cars as it is valid for a year and more than covers the cost even if only used twice a year.

BTW as Brits we don't need an International Driver's Licence to drive in Greece.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are concerned enough to post the question here, then just go over to the nearest AAA office and get an International Drivers Permit. It will make you feel better :). I drive in many countries (including Greece) and have never been asked to show an International Drivers Permit (it is not really a license). But I used to get the document every year until a friendly clerk forgot to put the date on my document. So I now have had the same one for about twenty years (it has faded) and I guess in a pinch I could just write a current date on the cover :).

Hank