Port Days - Naples to Sorrento, Messina to Taormina or both

Native Floridian 26

First time to Italy and we have stops in Naples and Messina. We have ports days 8A-7P and 8A to 6P respectively minus a bit of time on each end to get off and back on. In Naples, we don't have much interest in Pompeii or Herculaneum. We would like to take in as much of Naples as possible including the funicular to Vomero, but feel there is probably time for a side trip via ferry or train to Sorrento.

While in Messina, there is not as much to do as Naples, and are looking at the train trip to Taormina.

My question is are Sorrento and Taormina both worth the time to get there and visit, or is one or the other superior. We just like to DIY and explore the sights, take in the views and shop in the towns. If you had to pick one or the other, which would it be given our interests?

TYIA!

If someone forced me at gunpoint to chose between the two, I would choice Taormina because of the Greek theatre.

Naples offers so many options, it's a great port. You can walk off the ship right into the historic center of town.

Messina has a good museum and duomo, but at this port I would spend my money getting to Taormina.

At Naples you can simply walk off and see amazing sites without spending a dime.

Good Lord, I just re-read my response, you'd never know that English was my lingua madre. I need to make a better connection between my brain and my typing fingers.

From the cruise port to the funicolare Centrale in Naples (the base is in Piazzeta Duca D'Aosta, just off Via Toledo) is a half mile walk. It's slightly uphill, following the ramp alongside Castel Nuovo (across the street from the port), but overall an easy walk.

At the top (Piazza Fuga) you can continue to the top of the hill using outside escalators and a bit of legwork to get to either Castel Sant'Elmo or, my preference, the Certosa di San Martino. You can see the amazing view of the port from either location, but the Castel has a better all around view.