Shore Execursions Alaska

alex_hbk

Hi All,

I'm going for cruise to Alaska on May 25,2013 with HAL Zuiderdam. i would like to order the excursions like watching whale or White Pass Summit. but It's expensive from the cruise. could you share the which company that offer a low price, please.

Thank you

Hi All,

I'm going for cruise to Alaska on May 25,2013 with HAL Zuiderdam. i would like to order the excursions like watching whale or White Pass Summit. but It's expensive from the cruise. could you share the which company that offer a low price, please.

Thank you

You are sailing in just over 2 weeks and you are just trying to do this now? :eek: Likely most of the best independent vendors will be SOLD OUT already. Also, booking independently does not usually save you much money, but usually gets you smaller group sizes and/or a better experience. Reading this board will give you lots of information on vendors. Good luck!

You can try independent vendors, but at this late date, the ship excursions may be your only alternative. Alaska excursions can be very expensive, sorry you are just learning this now, so close to your cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi,

Thank you for the input, guys. I heard from my friends that whenever the ship disembarks, there is a tour person that will offer an excursion to everyone. Is that correct?

Also I found this website, please have a look.

http://shoreexcursions.viator.com/juneau-shore-excursions/c941?ciId=10603765&date=20130527&sd=20130525&itinId=

Is there anyone has book the excursion from there before. Please let me know.

Thank you for your time.

I've booked everything independently:

In Ketchikan with Island Wings, in Skagway with Dyea Dave, in Icy Strait Point with Misty Lodge.

In Juneau will just take the blue bus to MG.

I see that the links below don't work, but the idea is to go to TripAdvisor, type the city name, "things to do", etc.

Hi Alex,

Below pls. find 3 independent vendors - all of them found in TripAdvisor recommended activities. Their website appears there. I've e-mailed all of them, got a prompt reply, and booked... BTW, I was worried about Skagway, there will be 4 ships in port at the same time, and Dave (first below) assured me that we'll make it in plenty of time back to the ship... Skagway is a "short" port, at least with RCL.

Skagway

Dyea Dave Tours

dyeadave@msn.com

Icy Strait Point (Hoonah)

Hope Findley [danhopester@gmail.com]

Hope

Misty Bay Lodge

907-723-9452

Ketchikan

Shona Hosley

Operations Manager

ISLAND WINGS AIR SERVICE

Web Page: www.islandwings.com

Email: michelle@islandwings.com

Toll Free: 1-888-854-2444

Address: PO Box 7432, Ketchikan, Alaska 99901

Phone: 1-907-225-2444

Hi,

Thank you for the input, guys. I heard from my friends that whenever the ship disembarks, there is a tour person that will offer an excursion to everyone. Is that correct?

Also I found this website, please have a look.

http://shoreexcursions.viator.com/juneau-shore-excursions/c941?ciId=10603765&date=20130527&sd=20130525&itinId=

Is there anyone has book the excursion from there before. Please let me know.

Thank you for your time.

Sorry, no, a "tour person" is going to have a VERY limited selection. You "may" find a cut rate whale watch in Juneau, but excursion costs for the established vendors is in the ball park you are finding.

There are various "White Pass" summit tours.

I never recommend using any booking agents in Alaska- like you list above.

Hi BudgetQueen,

Would love your thoughts on what myself and my 2 teen boys can do in these 2 ports --Ketichken and Swagway. Naturally the boys are interested in action/adventure type stuff.

In Juneau: I have already gotten bear permits for Pack Creek. Now I jjuts need to find a flight operator to get us there and back.

Thanks so much!

Cruiznuts

Hi BudgetQueen,

Would love your thoughts on what myself and my 2 teen boys can do in these 2 ports --Ketichken and Swagway. Naturally the boys are interested in action/adventure type stuff.

In Juneau: I have already gotten bear permits for Pack Creek. Now I jjuts need to find a flight operator to get us there and back.

Thanks so much!

Cruiznuts

Please narrow down your interests, there are hundreds of tour recommendations. Take a look at a shore excursion list for ideas. Alternative- could be hiking.

I highly recommend Alaska Fly N Fish air charter.

Sorry, no, a "tour person" is going to have a VERY limited selection. You "may" find a cut rate whale watch in Juneau, but excursion costs for the established vendors is in the ball park you are finding.

There are various "White Pass" summit tours.

I never recommend using any booking agents in Alaska- like you list above.

Dear Budget Queen,

So what is your suggestion for booking the excursions. Should i book the excursion from the cruise or pick any excursion on the Port when the cruise disembarks.

Thank you,

Alex

Dear Budget Queen,

So what is your suggestion for booking the excursions. Should i book the excursion from the cruise or pick any excursion on the Port when the cruise disembarks.

Thank you,

Alex

I never recommend "picking up" excursions at the port- UNLESS, your plans are in place, for the tram, shuttle bus to Mendenhall, MGT Juneau tour bus, salmon bake etc etc etc. The selections are very limited and time slots left may not be the most convenient.

IF you have tours of interest, then it could be a benefit to book ahead, unless you are ok with not going?

Once you have a tour selection- it isn't hard, usually to find an independent vendor, or you can book through your cruiseline. So, with your above question you haven't considered this option, which does work out very well.

I never recommend "picking up" excursions at the port- UNLESS, your plans are in place, for the tram, shuttle bus to Mendenhall, MGT Juneau tour bus, salmon bake etc etc etc. The selections are very limited and time slots left may not be the most convenient.

IF you have tours of interest, then it could be a benefit to book ahead, unless you are ok with not going?

Once you have a tour selection- it isn't hard, usually to find an independent vendor, or you can book through your cruiseline. So, with your above question you haven't considered this option, which does work out very well.

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm a bit confuse to book independently because I'm not sure if the vendor from website is trustworthy. May i know which vendor that i can book from is trustworthy.

Also at the end of May, is the Mendenhall glacier is really cold there? because my wife has a problem with the cold weather (freezing).

Thanks,

Alex

Also at the end of May, is the Mendenhall glacier is really cold there? because my wife has a problem with the cold weather (freezing).

Juneau in general is usually in the 40’s to low 60’s during the end of May. It’s rare to see temps in Juneau near freezing at the end of May. It may be a bit cooler near the glacier. Three years ago Juneau hit 80 degrees near the end of May and the last 5 days of the month were all above 70.

Question to Budget Queen about diy Juneau excursion...

In Juneau our plans are to take the blue bus to the Glacier and hike Nugget Creek trail. It's my understanding that we do not need to reserve a spot on the bus a head of time. We go to the bus stand buy our round trip tickets as soon as we get off the ship and go. Correct?

In Juneau our plans are to take the blue bus to the Glacier and hike Nugget Creek trail. It's my understanding that we do not need to reserve a spot on the bus a head of time. We go to the bus stand buy our round trip tickets as soon as we get off the ship and go. Correct?

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but we have taken this bus which is very handy. Yes you are correct, There are little kiosks on the dock selling tickets. You buy your tickets and they tell you where to meet the bus, which is sometimes the next parking lot over depending where you are docked.

my ship leaves on the 26th and I just booked the trip, last min splurge. I didn't have any issues booking with independent tour groups.

Harv and Marvs whale watching in Juneau, and Frontier Excursions for Skagway..both much cheaper than cruise lines.

I would just get something booked here in the next few days! :)

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm a bit confuse to book independently because I'm not sure if the vendor from website is trustworthy. May i know which vendor that i can book from is trustworthy.

Thanks,

Alex

Determine a short list of your interested tours, then find a vendor. There are many long established well run companies, that you can easily find out about by searching this board, or posting a more specific question.

With your wife's cold issue, you are going to run into plenty of cold, during your scenic glacier day. It is cooler at Mendenhall than downtown. Right now, it has been below normal temps in Alaska.

Key is to be WELL prepared with the attire, meaning a warm jacket, hat and gloves.

No reservations for the shuttle buses. The buses load at the tram parking lot- look up to find it, depending on your ship dock. Buy your ticket from a dock booth, they will direct you to your bus. If you don't buy a round trip, the drivers, at Mendenhall take cash.

Allow 5 hours for this hike. I suggest you take the first turn off for the East Loop trail, and take the switchback up and the stairs down.

Archived