Knossos/Heraklion or Chania Town?

selzhouses

My wife and I will be in Crete on the Azamara Journey in October. We are trying to decide whether to spend the day in Chania or spend all day and go to Knossos Palace and Heraklion? Your input is greatly appreciated.

We are also on the Journey in Oct. The Azamara excursion seems to be mostly driving with about an hour at knossos and half an hour in heraklion town. If you decide to go there I'd go private and stay longer. We've decided to stay in chania ...check out what people have said on here, it sounds quite lovely.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

It sounds like you are porting in Souda rather than in Iraklion, so a long drive to Knossos/museum.

In the end I'd say it comes down to your own interests. I'd choose the long drive. Chania isn't very interesting other than for a few photos. Whereas if you have an interest in ancient history or archaeology, the museum in Heraklion is wonderful and Knossos (even with its faults) deserves a visit.

One can do Knossos in an hour at a sprint, but it's too bad if they only give you a half-hour at the museum -- you really need more.

It sounds like you are porting in Souda rather than in Iraklion, so a long drive to Knossos/museum.

In the end I'd say it comes down to your own interests. I'd choose the long drive. Chania isn't very interesting other than for a few photos. Whereas if you have an interest in ancient history or archaeology, the museum in Heraklion is wonderful and Knossos (even with its faults) deserves a visit.

One can do Knossos in an hour at a sprint, but it's too bad if they only give you a half-hour at the museum -- you really need more.

Totally agree that the museum warrants more time. It is well laid out and beautifully displayed. You really need both Knossos and the museum together to best appreciate the site.

If you are docking at Souda then the coach ride to Knossos will take around 2 - 2 1/2 hours, along the North coast & back the same way. IF you like coach trips then you do get to see some decent coastal scenery, but you will be on the national road all the way, you don't see any Cretan villages etc.

I wouldn't choose that option, to be on a bus for 5 hours & rushed round Knossos in the heat, in the middle of the day, then presumably a quick run round the archaeological museum. In my opinion, the only way to make Knossos an attractive visit is to go out of season, & either early or late, to avoid some of the crowds. The museum is fantastic & warrants at least 2 hours of slow introspection.

Your other option will get you into Chania in around 15 minutes & give you plenty of time to explore the harbour, the Venetian architecture, the myriad of little ancient alleys, the museums/galleries if you wish, to have a good Cretan meal, to people-watch over coffee on the harbourfront cafes.

If you think a full day in Chania is too long, we took the public bus from Chania to Rethymno and spent the morning there, returning to Chania again by bus for the afternoon. We enjoyed both. You can look up Rethmyno online.

Not a long drive between the two, timetables should be online, be careful with October timings as in Europe October can see a switch from summer to winter timetables.

Public buses from Chania to Rethymno are a minimum of one an hour throughout the year. They take around 1 hour each way.

As another alternative, you could spend half a day in Chania, then head to a fairly local beach - some good ones are: Marathi, Tersanas, Stavros (Where Zorba's hill is, from the film) all on Akrotiri. Nea Hora in Chania itself, Agoii Apostoli & Chrissi Akti just West of Chania.

There are also usually excursions to some of the little Apokoronas villages - Gavalohori for the folk museum & lace co-operative, Vamos with its many renovated stone houses. You get to see a little of more traditional Cretan life & some pretty scenery.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who have responded. I greatly appreciate your input. It looks like the best use of time is to stay in Chania since there does not appear to be enough time to do Knososs pro perky.

thank you all again for taking your time to respond!

Thanks to all who have responded. I greatly appreciate your input. It looks like the best use of time is to stay in Chania since there does not appear to be enough time to do Knososs pro perky.

thank you all again for taking your time to respond!

We really like Chania. We spent 3 days just outside the town in May and really enjoyed it. Good shopping.