Mahogany Bay excursions for over 80 years old

Cookie5564

Does anyone have any recommendations on excursions for people who are over 80? My in-laws and parents are coming and they can have a tough time walking for great distances. I don't want them to miss out on anything.

Also looking for recommendations for Belize.

TIA!!!

K

Edited by Cookie5564

To avoid walking a lot, they may want to just head for the beach area at MBCC. Another option would be to take the ship's excursion to Tabayana Beach on West Bay (they bus you to and from the cruise port shopping area entrance). Or to Little French Key. Going to Maya Key will entail a short boat ride.

Using a tour guide service like Victor Bodden or Rony, who can give great island tours that don't require an excessive amount of walking, however, do require that you walk out of the cruise port center and over a small hill (which might seem steep to elderly, less mobile folks) to meet up with the driver. I think you can catch a taxi for the short drive, but I don't know what that costs. Both Vicotr and Rony can assist in planning your excursion. Both, and their drivers, are very proud of their island and love to show it off. They know good local spots for food and drink too.

Just so you and your family are aware, take look at reviews and pictures of Mahogany Bay's cruise port. There is an incline from the pier to the taxi stand or the path to the beach.

Belize, is a tender port. It's a long tender ride to the pier. But they do assist anyone needed help getting on and off the tenderboats. Belize is an excursion port, little to do right off the tender pier. Most excursions are for snorkeling, cave tubing or visiting Maya ruins. Need a bit of mobility for any of these. You might look up a city tour. There's an interesting Anglican Church in Belize City (St Johns) and a few museums. There's a cultural center across from the church in the old British Governors mansion that has lots of relics and photos from the colonial era (which ended in the mid 70s , as I recall). You can see the backend and the old canons in the yard from the tender on the way in. check for other things on the Belize board.

In belize I might recommend Altun Ha River Walace. They don't have to walk too far to see the riuns (but summer is gonna be hot hot hot) and then its a nice shaded lunch and boat trip down the river and back to the ship with tons of wildlife. We say bats, monkeys, iguanas, crocodiles, manatee and dolphins...and birds too numerous to count. Belize only has a very small port once you take the tender in...unless you want to walk outside the fenced area. Most of the shore excursions focus on water so this was a suprising and wonderful find for us.

In Mahogony Bay, you are going to have to walk, some. I would recommend either one of the ships based excursions to Gumbalimia park (where you can walk and explore at your own pace) or to one of the beaches. This is a BEAUTIFUL island and worth the ride to the west side to see at least part of it.