Languages and culture in New Caledonia (Mare, Noumea, Isle of Pines)

Meamat

Hi all!

My family is cruising to Noumea, Isle of Pines, and Mare and I'd like for us all to learn a little about the culture of those we'll be visiting before we arrive. I realise that many people in the ports will speak English and that they are used to tourists, but I've always tried to learn at least a little about the place and people before I arrive in a new place. This is the first time we've traveled to an unfamiliar country with my kids, so I'd like to start that with them, too.

I believe Noumea and Isle of Pines are generally french speaking, is this correct? And is Mare the same? As a new port it seems harder to find that information. Would anyone recommend a particular site or book for information about the people and history of these places? Or know of a good kid-friendly starter book for learning a bit of conversational french?

Many thanks!

New Caledonia is a French overseas territory, like Tahiti and Wallis & Futuna. The official language is French. English isn't widely spoken as the French are extremely proud and protective of their language. Living standards, education and health, here are high as it is closely related to the European Union. The places you are going will not have the sort of obvious cultural activities which you find throughout Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands. There is, however, a superb national museum on the outskirts of Noumea which is well worth a visit. The architecture of the building is stunning.

If you simply 'wiki' New Caledonia you will find lots of info about the islands, their discovery by Cook and the culture there.

By the way, as someone who has been to virtually every major tropical island in the world, I rate the Isle of Pines as the most beautiful I have ever seen. However, when a big cruise ship shows up that beauty is somewhat compromised - I had the misfortune of being there earlier this year when one of those Princess ships arrived and disgorged about 2000 people onto a beach. It was not a pretty sight.

• 1 month later...

Most of the people that you will interact with around the wharf area on the Isle of pines are very friendly, the tour operators, stall holders etc are all very used to tourists, they speak French, indigenous languages and very good English, two french words that are good to speak are bonjour and merci you can learn how to say a few words at http://www.bonjour.com/

On Mare most of the tourists go to Yejele beach but much the same they speak French, indigenous languages and very good English, in Noumea its French and English.