Silver Discoverer

cruzer9

Big SBN Quest fan but very happy that we choose to go to Antarctica and South Georgia this past December with the Silver Explorer. We are now converts and will return to Silversea.

Now contemplating either Svalbard on the Silver Explorer or looking at the Silver Discoverer. Went to the Adventure Travel show near London this weekend and spent some time with the Silversea staff, and I have to say the Discoverer itineraries look amazing. Especially the Russian Far East and New Zealand trips. In fact too many to choose from. :D:D:D

So the question is, has anybody been to the Russian Far East, and or New Zealand Sub Antarctic islands. It looks like these are very diverse and wildlife rich trips. But it also throws in some culture and history .

Anybody else booked on the Discoverer? Not much on this forum about the ship and people going on it?

Talking to the Silversea staff, including one of their Expedition Leaders that was at the show, it seems that they are doing a major refit of the ship?

Sounds like you know more about it than I do-hadn't heard about refitting the ship. Check roll calls and there is a discussion going. I agree that the itineraries sound amazing and on the brink of booking one segment in the Micronesia starting in Palau.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first voyage has been postponed until sometime in early April. We were booked on the first 4 segments, or so, and they were all cancelled until the new schedule. I assume they are refitting the ship. Not sure what will happen. It is leased for 5 years, not purchased.

We are booked on the mid-June 14 Russian Far East cruise. Looking forward to experiencing a "different" itinerary on a newly refitted ship. Seems pretty expensive in comparison with the Explorer and the accommodation is much smaller. Hope we avoid the settling-in issues which dogged the new Galapagos ship.

if doing the NZ sub Antarctic islands make sure it visits Macquarie Island.it is the gem.

3 years ago we went to Antarctica from New Zealand so got to see the sub Antarctic islands.

I did a trip report.the first part is a week in NZ prior to the cruise and the cruise begins at Post 43.Macquarie Island was on our way back from Antarctica.

http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/trip-reports-and-trip-photos/antarctica-27099.html

Thank you all,

Did not know they will not own the ship, but I think that is common these days. I wish that Silversea could tell us more about the refit or what the ship will be like. .......

The New Zealand trips do look fantastic. It includes the Sub Antarctic islands and Maquarie Island. Having been to South Georgia this will really complete the circle, with all that wildlife. And then on top it goes to the fjords, and the wine area.

all of the trips look so good:confused::confused::confused: which one to go on.......?

• 2 weeks later...

Just been told by my travel agent that Silversea is offering free economy air on all Silver Discoverer departures for 2014, or reduced business class travel.

Now there is no longer an excuse not to go....:D:D:D:D:D

packing bags already for the Russian Far East.

The ship is the old Clipper Odyssey. Don't know what the refitting will be but you could try and find some info on websites for the Odyssey. It was leased by Zegrahm for 5 years and previously by Intrav. I have cruised for over 10 years on the ship mostly all over the South Pacific. It is a favorite of mine.

The itineraries look amazing, but I am hesitant to book till I know the ship has been refitted. However, if the business class fares are good enough, we might be enticed.

To the OP, we have done Svalbard and Bafffin Island/Greenland on Explorer and really loved those trips. Highly recommend if you don't mind cold weather and the potential for rough seas.

Just been told by my travel agent that Silversea is offering free economy air on all Silver Discoverer departures for 2014, or reduced business class travel.

Now there is no longer an excuse not to go....:D:D:D:D:D

packing bags already for the Russian Far East.

Am booked on the Micronesian segment but have not received an email-wonder if we will? What did email say? This would be wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm..Noble Caledonia seems to have chartered the Discoverer for a cruise in March- little info on it however (http://www.noble-caledonia.co.uk/information/detail.asp?section=vesselspecificinfo&id=2&spid=424).

Or maybe not. Bit confusing as they list the cruise for July but say that they have chartered it for March. I have no idea what it all means.

Edited by 5waldos

The link you provided just says to me that they are acting as a TA selling cruises on the Discoverer and they are highlighting the Japan to Alaska cruises.

at the bottom of the linked page it says it is undergoing a refurb and wont be ready until April this year.So no different to current information.

OK- rereading this I think my still muddled brain made a connection that wasn't there. It seemed that they were claiming to have chartered the ship for March. This morning I read it differently. :confused: The recently traveled brain does not always function as well as it might.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody received any information about the refit yet? When will the ship start operating? Very little information out there about the ship, and seems Silversea is very quiet about it......:(:(:confused::confused:

Has anybody received any information about the refit yet? When will the ship start operating? Very little information out there about the ship, and seems Silversea is very quiet about it......:(:(:confused::confused:

Christening on Tuesday of this week in Singapore! So I assume it is mostly refitted by now. I gather that there should be a lot of news about it rather soon. It then has to sail down to Australia for its initial sailing in April. Really looking forward to hearing some news about it.

We were booked on the first two segments. We are now scheduled on October 20 from Honiara to Auckland

Several of us will be on the Honiara segment- we begin in Palau. The more I read the itinerary highlights the more excited I am about it! Hard to wait for another 6 months but it will go by quickly. Plan to spend the summer in the sun so that I don't arrive in Palau looking pale and wan.

My travel agent is in Singapore now for the Christening. He was invited by Silversea to stay on the ship etc. I've encouraged him to take lots of pics.

If anyone is interested, please feel free to either email me or PM me and I'll forward his information. I think he'll be tweeting about it as well.