What do people wear on Mediterranean cruises?

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for awhile reading all the wonderful fashion advice and seeing the lovely dresses that are posted.

I've been on six cruises, mostly to the Caribean, which I love. Mid May my DH and I are doing the Classic Med. cruise. I have my on board clothes bought, but I don't have any clue as what to wear in Spain, France, Rome and Italy off the ship while sight-seeing.

Has anyone done cruised to the Med? Just a note, I am not a jean and tennis shoe type of woman.

Can anyone help me please.

You will love the med. We did it two years ago and my husband wants to do the same cruise again soon. Barcelona, Florence, Naples, Rome, Athens, Santonini, Kusadasi. I always wore simple skirts or dresses and he wore good pants and regular long sleeve shirts. Pretty much what we would wear to work. And we both wore good walking shoes. We were hoping not to stand out as American tourists and it might have worked because we were mistaken for French or English in Turkey and once they thought I was Italian in Rome. We dressed this way becuase it was how we felt comfortable, but I don't think you can go wrong with nice slacks, blouses and jackets either. We dressed the same for our trip to Paris and Milan last year. I would not feel comfortable in jeans or shorts in the med but I did see them worn a lot.

Carolyn & David

One great piece of advice I got from other travelers was to bring some kleenex or toilet paper. (I buy the tiny tiny little travel rolls that Charmin sells) Bathrooms in Europe can be inconsistant and although we were lucky enough to always find one with an actual toilet and usually a toilet seat there was not always toilet paper available. :o

Having been to Italy many times before our cruise this past July, I will tell you if you are NOT doing an excursion and want to "blend" with locals, wear skirts. Italian women do not wear shorts or capris, especially in the summer. If you are on an excursion, by all means, wear the shorts or capris.

I wore shorts and capris on the excursions because we were with other tourists, but when we flew back to Rome to spend time with our Italian friends, I wore summery skirts. I just felt like I wanted to blend in with the Italians when walking around the villages.

JMO.:)

I will have to check out shoes like that. I have bunions and a bad back, so comfortable shoes are an absolute must. I worry about the cobblestone streets, so heels probably aren't a good idea.

I went shopping today and found a lovely tunic top at Chico's. A black and white outline floral with a heavily jeweled V neck line that was $80.00 on sale for $24.99. Also, a black formal with a white jeweled deep plunge neckline with a slit up the front, $189.00 marked down to $86.00 and another formal that was $200.00 marked to $26.00 at Macy's.

I found a nice casual dress at the White and Black on sale for $69.99 and a fun colorful jersey dress at Yonkers for $6.00. Found jewlery to go with each too. A very successful day of shopping for evening clothes.

Now, hopefully I can get just a lucky looking for touring clothes! Husband does not make any noise about bringing so many things home, as he knows it's part of the cruise and he enjoys the fashion show.

I will have to check out shoes like that. I have bunions and a bad back, so comfortable shoes are an absolute must. I worry about the cobblestone streets, so heels probably aren't a good idea.

I went shopping today and found a lovely tunic top at Chico's. A black and white outline floral with a heavily jeweled V neck line that was $80.00 on sale for $24.99. Also, a black formal with a white jeweled deep plunge neckline with a slit up the front, $189.00 marked down to $86.00 and another formal that was $200.00 marked to $26.00 at Macy's.

I found a nice casual dress at the White and Black on sale for $69.99 and a fun colorful jersey dress at Yonkers for $6.00. Found jewlery to go with each too. A very successful day of shopping for evening clothes.

Now, hopefully I can get just a lucky looking for touring clothes! Husband does not make any noise about bringing so many things home, as he knows it's part of the cruise and he enjoys the fashion show.

You might want to shop for some broomstick skirts. They pack easily, just twist them up and stuff them in the edges of your suitcase and they are comfortable and cool in the hot Med sun. And you can wear them more than once with different tops. Just a suggestion that works well for me.

Having been to Italy many times before our cruise this past July, I will tell you if you are NOT doing an excursion and want to "blend" with locals, wear skirts. Italian women do not wear shorts or capris, especially in the summer.

Totally agree!

If you are on an excursion, by all means, wear the shorts or capris.

Why? If you're going to dress to blend, why not blend with the locals rather than poorly dressed tourists?

To the OP....

Make sure you have a lightweight shawl with you if you're wearing a tank top, so you can cover your shoulders to visit churches. Many churches, especially in Italy, require that shoulders and knee's be covered.

Dress like you're going to large cities filled with well dressed people because you will be going to large cities filled with well dressed people! Comfortable and chic are not exclusive of one another. :)

If you like skirts, a casual skirt w/ a "nice" tee is a good choice and as cool as shorts. Or if you prefer pants, linen is a great fabric for europe - casual cool and elegant. Wear comfortable sandals or flats and you're good to go!

Totally agree!

Why? If you're going to dress to blend, why not blend with the locals rather than poorly dressed tourists?

To the OP....

Make sure you have a lightweight shawl with you if you're wearing a tank top, so you can cover your shoulders to visit churches. Many churches, especially in Italy, require that shoulders and knee's be covered.

Dress like you're going to large cities filled with well dressed people because you will be going to large cities filled with well dressed people! Comfortable and chic are not exclusive of one another. :)

If you like skirts, a casual skirt w/ a "nice" tee is a good choice and as cool as shorts. Or if you prefer pants, linen is a great fabric for europe - casual cool and elegant. Wear comfortable sandals or flats and you're good to go!

The reason I say to wear the shorts or capris on excursions is that you are with a tour group who probably are dressed in shorts or capris, you have your little sticker on your shirt, the locals will know you are a tourist, so don't worry about it. If you are going on a land tour on your own, try to blend in. Our Italian friend said he can spot an American by the baseball cap, shorts, and tennis shoes. Although... come to think of it, that was what HE was wearing the day he took us to Orvieto! LOL.:D

Totally agree!

To the OP....

Ditto what Jane said. I am fortunate to been able to visit Italy many times since my first visit in the mid 70s. I wear skirts or dresses in summer and occasionally linen slacks.

Capris and shorts are best left for the beach resorts and these are the only time I wear them when in Europe. As want2cruiseagain says, the Italian women do not wear them and IMO they simply do not fit in.

Our Italian friend said he can spot an American by the baseball cap, shorts, and tennis shoes.

I'll amend that to say your friend can spot SOME Americans - ie, the ones dressed in the "american touristo" outfit. Those of us that dress well, your friend would not spot as a tourist.

I'm always taken for one of the local wherever I travel. It's a constant source of amusement to my husband. No matter where we are, locals speak to me in their language. Of course, when I can't answer, they know I'm american. :)

The reason I say to wear the shorts or capris on excursions is that you are with a tour group who probably are dressed in shorts or capris, you have your little sticker on your shirt, the locals will know you are a tourist, so don't worry about it.

Well, just because others around me are dressed poorly, doesn't mean I'm going to do the same. Besides, I'd have to buy a whole new wardrobe of tourist clothes! :D

I'm not big on group tours, but for some places, it does make sense. But I've never been asked to wear a sticker and I never would, even if asked. Nor would I ever carry a bag with the ships logo. I've seen people in port cities carrying them. Besides looking silly, it screams to all the pickpockets, "come and get me!".

When the ship docks on port day, you and 2000 or more of your new best friends will descend on that particular city.

The local shopkeepers know in advance that you are there. They are not that interested in how you are dressed. More interested on how you will boost the local economy. If you have European style clothes, by all means bring them. If you dont, Im not sure if I'd go shopping. Especially, if its not your style when you get back to the good ole US of A

BTW, a few hour port visit is far different that a week in local economy.

Just my opinion...

linens, slacks, skirts, short sleeved shirts (to be respectful in religious buildings, although most weren't)

saw tons of jeans, tons of sneakers

The only difference in my cruise... I did not wear shorts as in the Caribbean

take a rain wrap, a hat, and be prepared for extreme heat and humidity (we were in early June - Rome to London)

For mid May and summer trips I pack mostly below the knee skirts and dresses because I find them feminine and comfortable. "Sundresses" to me implies a tropical look and this is not what I would choose. Linen blends and silk twill are two fabrics I like for warm weather travel in Europe. Smart walking sandals/flats and you will be comfortable and ready to go anywhere.

If you prefer capris, wear them. Remember you will need to have knees and shoulders covered to gain entry to many churches and religious sites. A cap sleeve works well and is still cool. And you can throw a lightweight shawl or large scarf in your bag as well if you prefer.

I am now very confused after reading this thread. I have gone to great lengths and expense to buy appropriate clothing to wear on my upcoming Med Cruise. It almost made me stop and go shopping for a whole different wardrobe, but then I re-thought things and I am still going as planned.

I have planned to take capris and crop slacks to wear when we are in port with nice blouses and tops to mix and match. I do have two of the crinkle or broom style skirts that I am taking, that I can wear these blouses with as well. I have comfortable sandles and slide shoes to wear. Now, after reading about women in Italy not wearing the capris I don't want to offend or look totally beach style to them. I grew up in a popular vacation town and I know that locals would sneer and make jokes about the tourists. I really do not want to be the brunt of local jokes, I try to look as stylish, yet appropriate for the activity I am involved in. I believe that there is a difference in looking like in capris I am going on a beachcombing trip or dressed in capris/crop slacks in a more dressy style and classic style that would be very appropriate.

That being said I was at Disney World last September and there were a lot of Italian, Spainish and some other European visitors there. I was noting how the dressed and guess what, not much different than Americans on vacation do. They even wore, the dreaded tennis shoes!

I think maybe we get too, concerned about fashion sometimes. What is important, respect those around us that we are visiting their country, respect cultural and social behavior. Above all polite, that makes more impact on representing ourselves and our country.

Will I change and search now for different outfits to take with me, I doubt it. I still think I will be appropriate for the activities I will be doing. I have made sure that all my clothing will cover my shoulders and be below the knee and I will also have either a wrap or sweater with me just as insurance to cover more if needed. I will not be wearing shorts, or t-shirts with writing all over them or sneakers.

We are doing our own self arranged tours an excursions, so I won't be wearing name tags or sticker labels. I hope that whatever you decide to wear that you enjoy your vacation and are comfortable while doing so.

Cindy

We live in a big city and when I see American tourists (wearing shorts, downtown), I don't laugh or sneer at them. I just smile to myself because it makes me feel like I am on vacation!

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't capri pants below the knee? I have seen some very "citified" capris in the shops. Some have matching jackets. In my opinion, they would be fine. It is snowing here,as I write, so I haven't done any warm weather shopping yet, but I would buy them if they looked good on me. I just happen to be a full length slacks person. That's what feels the most comfortable.

Enjoy and don't worry about it.

Cindy,

last Sept, when we did our excursions in the Med, I wore capris or crop pants with nice tops ... we saw plenty of women in Greece & Italy, who appeared to be locals, wearing the same type of clothing ... so you'll be fine!! The main difference is that we saw very few European women who were overweight!

Enjoy your trip!!

I think maybe we get too, concerned about fashion sometimes. What is important, respect those around us that we are visiting their country, respect cultural and social behavior. Above all polite, that makes more impact on representing ourselves and our country.

Cindy, very well said. I cruised to the Med July 2005. I wore a lot of capris and even shorts in some ports that we knew we would not be visiting any sites requiring coverage.

I never understood why people don't want to look 'American' or like a tourist. I was/am a tourist! I am a visitor to their country, taking lots of photos, wearing my Nike sneakers and enjoying every part of it.

I think for some, it makes them feel better to 'fit in'.

It was hot and humid on our Med./Egypt cruise last summer. I am sensitive to the sun so generally had a long sleeve sun protection top on but wore it with skorts. Also wore running shoes and glad we did; there was a lot of walking and uneven surfaces. My DH wore shorts and short sleeve shirts. For the Vatican we both wore long pants (I changed afterwards to shorts); my DH had the zip off pants which he also wore in Egypt; I wore capris in Egypt.

We both wore hats everywhere.

Pictures of our Med cruise in the link below.

Kathy:)

Archived