Beaches or areas to avoid after dark?

Mach1

I don’t want to offend any one!! :o

I was reading on another thread “Is Miami dangerous” many people said to use common sense….that goes w/o saying…and to avoid being on the beaches after dark and stay away from the side streets…etc.

But I am wondering if there are places that should be avoid in Key West. I realize KW is a much smaller area….but it never hurts to ask.

I am traveling with my DH and DD 9 in June we'll be there for a week.

Thanks so much for all your assistance. :)

I don’t want to offend any one!! :o

I was reading on another thread “Is Miami dangerous” many people said to use common sense….that goes w/o saying…and to avoid being on the beaches after dark and stay away from the side streets…etc.

But I am wondering if there are places that should be avoid in Key West. I realize KW is a much smaller area….but it never hurts to ask.

I am traveling with my DH and DD 9 in June we'll be there for a week.

Thanks so much for all your assistance. :)

On Higgs Beach there is an open pavilion with benchs underneath where many homeless people gather to pass the day. I've never had a problem jogging past there in the morning or on the few times I've been there at night, but there is a certain amount of drinking. BTW The new Salud! restaurant is right there and is a good place you might not wander to on your own.

At the very northen end of Simonton Street there is a small public parking area, public bathrooms, a small beach, and a small concrete pier. Here, too, there are homeless in the morning and evening. It's now called Simonton Beach but it used to be called Bum's Beach. (Get it?)

And there are people who will tell you to avoid the area around the Bahama Village at Whitehead and Petronia, saying that there is a certain amount of drugs being sold, but again, I've never had a problem there, and how else are you going to get to Blue Heaven, Santiago's Bodega and Besame Mucho?

Pjk

Thank you for your reply! It’s good to have a “heads up” for when we are in the keys!

What would you say would be the best beach for us to go to? Any with good snorkeling from the beach??

Thanks again!!;)

You can snorkel from the beach at Zachery Taylor state park...

http://www.fortzacharytaylor.com/

There is a small fee to get in but they also rent chairs and have a decent snack bar where you can also have a drink. Some people like the snorkling here, but I think it's best for just swimming and you will need water shoes.

You can also snorkel from either Higgs Beach, around the old, smaller pier next to the White Street pier, or off Smathers Beach.

But none of these are anywhere as good as taking one of the snorkeling trips out to the reef, either a morning, afternoon, or afternoon / sunset combo. Best of all IMO is the Sebago Island T'Ing or Danger Charters all-day snorkel, lunch, kayak trip. Approx $80.00 for the first and $100.00 for the second, but you will remember the trip longer than what you paid for it.

Pjk

Archived