3 to a cabin?

onevacationlover

We would like to book a river cruise but need to bring along our son. Is there a river cruise line that can accommodate three to a cabin. I have looked at all their sites but do not see any mention...so it appears just two to a cabin on all? Any ideas, anyone? I guess the answer is get another cabin.:eek:

Most river cruise cabins are fairly small. On Avalon's non-suite ships, the cabin was 172 sq ft and there is no way that you could put a 3rd person in them. You may want to look into Avalon's newer suite ships and Viking's newer long ships. They may have larger suites in which you could put a 3rd person. You will have to check with the companies directly to see if they even allow it. Another thing to consider is, how old is your son? Some lines have age restrictions on passengers (no one < 12 yrs, example). You should also know that there is no programming for children and no separate space for them. If you decide to do this, you will need to make sure that the itinerary and locations are enough to keep your son entertained.

We recently did a river cruise on the AMACello and there were there adults in the cabin next to ours. I questioned how this could be done as the rooms are not that large. We had a French balcony room, very nice but limited storage/drawer space. DH looked under our bed and found a bed that slides out from under. Seems it's used for an extra guest at night, then stored back under the bed during the day. You may want to contact the river cruise line directly to find out their policy on 3rd pax.

Darcy

There are many threads on this forum about children on river cruises. Some lines have age restrictions--Viking for one. Uniworld and Croisie Europe also have family oriented trips mainly in the summer. Don't know when Tauck's sail. Good luck finding something that fits your family needs.

Pat

Onevacationlover, I have no idea what your budget is, but the Tauck suites at 300 sq. ft. easily handle three people and the bathrooms are luxurious. I also put Tauck at the top of the list in the river cruise universe followed by Uniworld (which also has some suites).

Hope it works out!

You might check out Vantage as they have suites. Worth a phone call. Willard

I've stayed in Vantage suites and they're very comfortable but I'm not certain if the sofa pulls out to a bed, since I've never used it. Newer ships may be better equipped for 3 in a cabin. Depending on the age of your son, consider that the average age on a river cruise is 55+ and there are NO activities that would entertain a young boy!:(

I think I would definitely look into Tauck since lately they seem to be appealing to family travel. They can be pricey, but my Mom used them a couple of times and said it was wonderfully good food and service and I have no doubt their river cruises are just as high end.

Thanks everyone for the quick response!

Sounds like I need to get on the phone with all the companies. We really do favor Uniworld's marketing concept but know that Tauck's reviews are good too.

Yes, The entertainment will not be geared to children but honestly I don't believe that a river cruise is known to be as entertaining for adults either.

We are looking for a cruise that will allow us to be more relaxed and less rushed to participate in so many on-board activities. Usually after a day in port, we are pretty exhausted anyway..I think we will be happy with a great dinner and a quick nightcap, then sleep:)

We have taken day cruises down the Rhine. So, it seems to us that a river cruise for a week or so will allow us to emerse ourselves in the culture...

We did the Tauck"s Bridges Danube Family River trip and they do cater to the kids. We just sailed last June and there was three of us in a room. We had a Queen sized bed as well as a pull out type couch (which was quite comfortable). We as a family had a wonderful time and the food was very good. The staff even provided the kids with popcorn and snacks at night as well as a DVD player to play movies. I suggest you look at the "Bridges" tours through Tauck. One thing is that only a certain number of rooms have space for three so I suggest booking early.:)

We did the Tauck"s Bridges Danube Family River trip and they do cater to the kids. We just sailed last June and there was three of us in a room. We had a Queen sized bed as well as a pull out type couch (which was quite comfortable). We as a family had a wonderful time and the food was very good. The staff even provided the kids with popcorn and snacks at night as well as a DVD player to play movies. I suggest you look at the "Bridges" tours through Tauck. One thing is that only a certain number of rooms have space for three so I suggest booking early.:)

Thank you for the information...glad to hear you had a great time!!

Archived