Civitavecchia port to train station

royal65

Okay, so I'm thinking all this adds up to hiring a private car to take us into Rome. I presume the private cars pick you up at Largo della Pace? Just sounds like a big hassle getting into Rome with all the tourists trying to get in for the day. We also are taking the train to Florence after our cruise, so the driver can take us to the correct entrance, hopefully.

I'm hoping to perhaps share with someone on my cruise, but otherwise it might be worth it to pay the freight. Embarking, we'll be coming from Rome, but I think we can manage the train, since we won't be under any time pressure, and our hotel is near Termini Station.

How hard is it to figure out this bus from the station to the port? You can't pay cash on buses, right? Which means you already need a ticket?

Okay, so I'm thinking all this adds up to hiring a private car to take us into Rome. I presume the private cars pick you up at Largo della Pace? Just sounds like a big hassle getting into Rome with all the tourists trying to get in for the day. We also are taking the train to Florence after our cruise, so the driver can take us to the correct entrance, hopefully.

I'm hoping to perhaps share with someone on my cruise, but otherwise it might be worth it to pay the freight. Embarking, we'll be coming from Rome, but I think we can manage the train, since we won't be under any time pressure, and our hotel is near Termini Station.

How hard is it to figure out this bus from the station to the port? You can't pay cash on buses, right? Which means you already need a ticket?

Get onto your roll call I am sure you will find someone who will share. Re bus tickets. After you get off the free shuttle from your ship there is a booth to pay the 2 euro bus ticket to the station

• 1 month later...
My wife are are taking a cruise out of Rome next year and I am starting to look at flight now so that I can use my Delta FF miles. The latest fights I can see to get me back to Atlanta leave around 12:45pm from Rome's (FCO) airport. That seems tight to me. Should we plan on staying another day in Rome after our cruise and fly out the next day? Has anyone make a flight the same day after a cruise arriving in Civitavecchia and flying out of FCO??

It is too tight for my comfort. Given the chance I would always find time for a visit to Rome if possible.

We have spent 5 nights there and been 5 times for days as a port of call. We have chosen a 2 night stay in august to extend our trip after a cruise.

Have you visited Rome already?

Edited by helpthejuggler

Get onto your roll call I am sure you will find someone who will share. Re bus tickets. After you get off the free shuttle from your ship there is a booth to pay the 2 euro bus ticket to the station

Thanks. And believe me, I'm haunting my roll-call. At the moment it's very, very quiet (small ship.)

Thanks. And believe me, I'm haunting my roll-call. At the moment it's very, very quiet (small ship.)

Its one of the problems with roll calls. Some are very active and others are like following a hearse

When we go to Rome we always use Smart Cruise Tours, they have a variety of options including bus transfers into Rome itself or the airport etc...

We took my elderly mother on their guided bus tour a couple of years back and it was outstanding. :)

http://www.smartcruisetours.com/index.php/destinations/rome/rome-transfers

We are taking the train after the cruise, and heading to Venice after we change trains in Rome. No rush, but what times would people recommend disembarking in Citiavecchia to catch a train? Basically all trains leave on the hour. Of course arriving in Venice at a decent time is better than waiting around on the ship.

Not sure if you've figured this out yet, Ian, but have the same issue. We're taking the train to Florence. I haven't reserved the train to Florence yet, but I'm thinking that if I get one that leaves Termini Station at about 1 p.m. that this would be sensible, for us. It will get us into Florence about hotel check-in time, with time for a stroll through the city and a nice dinner. When I do pre-book the Florence train, I'm going to buy the option that gives me a reasonably-priced change option, so if we get to Rome early, we can try to get an earlier train.

And since we have to be off the ship by 9 a.m. anyways (true of most cruise lines), that should get us plenty of time and avoid the rush at Civitavecchia.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

The train station in Civitavecchia, located at the end of Viale della Repubblica, is one mile from the new port exit on Via Turco. A free port shuttle bus will take you to a parking lot just off Via Turco, from there you can either walk to the station or take a local bus.

Remember to allow extra time to walk from the auxiliary tracks at Termini to the main track head, about three blocks.

I would personally want an hour to get from the ship to the station at Civitavecchia (unless you get a cab but that's not easy to do for such a short ride) as you have no control over how long it takes to fill the shuttle bus, or how long you wait at for the public bus.

Is there a way to pre-book a cab to the train station in Civitavecchia? Are there cabs waiting when you disembark?

A question about the port area in Civitavecchia. If you have pre-arranged transport, a limo or whatever, where do they pick you up?

Most limos and pre-arranged transport can pick you up right at the area where you disembark the ship. However, it's best to check with the agency just to be sure. (I have heard of one or two agencies -- not the more commonly used ones -- who have asked people to get themselves to the port entrance via the shuttle, where the car will be waiting for them.)

Most limos and pre-arranged transport can pick you up right at the area where you disembark the ship. However, it's best to check with the agency just to be sure. (I have heard of one or two agencies -- not the more commonly used ones -- who have asked people to get themselves to the port entrance via the shuttle, where the car will be waiting for them.)

Thanks cruisemom, that's very helpful.

Yes. Last year Romecab picked us up right at the end of the tented walkway when we disembarked the ship. That's why I was wondering if cabs are ever waiting there to take you to the train. We are taking a train to the Cinque Terre when we disembark this time.