vatican Friday night tour???

rivendell

Has anyone taken this tour. I was thinking of taking my adult grandchildren on this tour instead of taking the tour during the day. I thought it could be less crowded and kinda cool to be in the vatican at night. What are your thoughts

Has anyone taken this tour. I was thinking of taking my adult grandchildren on this tour instead of taking the tour during the day. I thought it could be less crowded and kinda cool to be in the vatican at night. What are your thoughts

I did not do a tour, but I did one of the Vatican Friday nights. I LOVED it!!! There was no crowd. It was not stifling hot. There were rooms that I was was the only person in at the time. I felt no pressure to move so someone else could get in and see what I was looking at. Inside the Sistine Chapel, there was actually room to move about and empty chairs along the side of the room!!! Still book in advance - there was a line of people waiting to get in, even at night. You can do this directly through the Vatican Museum website. The Museum does offer guided tours on the night openings also.

If you can do it, I would highly recommend doing the Friday night. Before you go, drop by Pizzarium for your dinner. Very good pizza al taglio (with some very esoteric topping combinations!) and supli and aranicini and a few other munchies. It's stand up only, and it's just outside the Cipro metro station. From Cipro, it is maybe a 10 minute walk up the hill to the Vatican Museum doors.

Edited by slidergirl

• 2 weeks later...
can you also see St. Peters on Friday night?

Sorry, I do not know for sure about that. I specifically went to the Museums. I had a 7pm entry ticket and I did not exit until probably 10pm or so. I did walk around from the Museums to St. Peters afterward. The Basilica was closed. But, I will say that, standing in the Square almost alone (a few people wandering) and imagining the crowd that was in there a few weeks earlier when Pope Francis was elected was mind-boggling!