Thermal Suite Charge

This may be common knowledge, but it was not for me. When we were on the 4/18 Serenade cruise my hubby signed up for the Thermal Suite, which was advertised for $119 for the cruise. Actually, it was $119 plus an 18% gratuity. Why there is a gratuity charged for something that is a "thing", not a "service" is beyond me. We've had the thermal suite several times previously and have never been charged a gratuity. Just a "heads up" for those of you who may be considering it.

I believe there was no gratuities on the oasis years ago

We've always been charged a gratuity for the thermal suite pass, both on Oasis and Allure. It would be justified by the services provided by the spa attendants who hand out robes/slippers and take care of other things in that area, though I wonder if they actually receive a portion of that gratuity.

I disagree that it is a service. One could then say that the buffet is a service, the bathrooms are a service and just about every other area onboard. After all they're cleaned and restocked daily as well. I have used the thermal suite on CCL, HAL and Princess and never paid a service charge. Only when having a treatment, i.e. massage or facial, was a service charge (aka gratuity) added

I disagree that it is a service. One could then say that the buffet is a service, the bathrooms are a service and just about every other area onboard. After all they're cleaned and restocked daily as well. I have used the thermal suite on CCL, HAL and Princess and never paid a service charge. Only when having a treatment, i.e. massage or facial, was a service charge (aka gratuity) added

and your daily gratuities cover buffet dining.

We've always been charged a gratuity for the thermal suite pass, both on Oasis and Allure. It would be justified by the services provided by the spa attendants who hand out robes/slippers and take care of other things in that area, though I wonder if they actually receive a portion of that gratuity.

For real!!! I had a flyer with a special for 99$ flat for a week, I didn't pay a dollar more. I guess they decreased the price and the tip was included on it.

If it's like a regular land based spa then there would be gratuity which would go to the staff that cleaned and prepped the area. Use of the thermal suite is classified as a service not an item since its not like you can walk away with it... Just saying

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

What is the Thermal Suite

The thermal suite is a paid area in the spa on some ships that has a small sauna, steam room, and aromatherapy room, heated ceramic lounges, and two specialty showers with mist/rain/waterfall effects. On Oasis and Allure, the areas are windowless, albeit nicely decorated, but small and can get crowded and loud, which is the opposite of what one wants in a relaxing spa area. The men's locker room, which is cramped, is down a hallway from the thermal suite and not particularly convenient.

The thermal suite is a paid area in the spa on some ships that has a small sauna, steam room, and aromatherapy room, heated ceramic lounges, and two specialty showers with mist/rain/waterfall effects. On Oasis and Allure, the areas are windowless, albeit nicely decorated, but small and can get crowded and loud, which is the opposite of what one wants in a relaxing spa area. The men's locker room, which is cramped, is down a hallway from the thermal suite and not particularly convenient.

Appreciate the description of the Oasis class facilities. We've never used them as they are only accessible for extra cost. I've never understood why they seemed to skimp on some of the facilities of Oasis class.

Appreciate the description of the Oasis class facilities. We've never used them as they are only accessible for extra cost. I've never understood why they seemed to skimp on some of the facilities of Oasis class.

Thanks CntPAcruiser -- I usually buy the thermal suite package but may skip it on Harmony as everyone seems underwhelmed by the space on Oasis class ships.

You're welcome. I hate to talk them down, but enjoying the sauna and steam room each day are a big part of our cruise vacation, and the thermal suites on these ships were less that great, especially considering the charge. From what I understand there are some nicer thermal suites on a few of RCI's smaller ships that were added as part of a renovation. These apparently have ocean views and are quite nice, but we've not seen them. We're disappointed that they've turned this into strictly a profit center on the newer ships.

• 7 months later...
On Oasis and Allure, the areas are windowless,

I know this is an older thread, but just in case anyone used the search feature for 'Thermal Spa', I thought I'd go ahead and mention that on the BRILLIANCE of the seas (unlike the ships mentioned) the Thermal Spa does have windows and (for me) was a WONDERFUL place to start my day ... relax and watch the ocean ... from the heated tile loungers as well as the mild (though still fairly hot) steam room. The separate (very) 'hot' steam room was smaller and did not have a window and I don't remember if the aromatherapy room had a window or not. I think it did, but I didn't care for it since it was dry and not steam so I didn't spend much time there. There were two 'rain fall' showers with buttons for 'tropical rain' and 'ice drench' so you could get both hot and/or cold showers, but these didn't always seem to transition perfectly ... sort of hit or miss on temperature.

In December 2016 we paid $149 for a pass for two for the 5 day cruise. Would have been $99 for just me. For me, it was well worth the cost ... not so much for him ... he didn't care for the steam rooms nor the tile loungers very much ... about the only 'benefit' he really enjoyed was a nice (suits on) shower and back scrubbing ... probably not worth $50 LOL

Also ... the shower dispensers provide very standard shampoo & body wash ... not upgraded spa brand (Elemis) ... so if you want something higher level, you may wish to bring your own. I took tiny travel bottles of Philosophy products :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=401663&stc=1&d=1484163648

spa.jpg.d475bae123f781867f72632ee3cae27b.jpg

Edited by Cro_and_Swan

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I know this is an older thread, but just in case anyone used the search feature for 'Thermal Spa', I thought I'd go ahead and mention that on the BRILLIANCE of the seas (unlike the ships mentioned) the Thermal Spa does have windows and (for me) was a WONDERFUL place to start my day ... relax and watch the ocean ... from the heated tile loungers as well as the mild (though still fairly hot) steam room. The separate (very) 'hot' steam room was smaller and did not have a window and I don't remember if the aromatherapy room had a window or not. I think it did, but I didn't care for it since it was dry and not steam so I didn't spend much time there. There were two 'rain fall' showers with buttons for 'tropical rain' and 'ice drench' so you could get both hot and/or cold showers, but these didn't always seem to transition perfectly ... sort of hit or miss on temperature.

In December 2016 we paid $149 for a pass for two for the 5 day cruise. Would have been $99 for just me. For me, it was well worth the cost ... not so much for him ... he didn't care for the steam rooms nor the tile loungers very much ... about the only 'benefit' he really enjoyed was a nice (suits on) shower and back scrubbing ... probably not worth $50 LOL

Also ... the shower dispensers provide very standard shampoo & body wash ... not upgraded spa brand (Elemis) ... so if you want something higher level, you may wish to bring your own. I took tiny travel bottles of Philosophy products :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=401663&stc=1&d=1484163648

We're cruising on the Brilliance in two months...did you book the pass before the cruise? Or onboard? Thank you!