balmoral

beline

Hi Everyone

Was just wondering if The Balmoral still has a problem with Chest Infections,would like to take another spin on her but am a little reluctant after being taken ill with a lot of others last time we were aboard. I see this problem has occurred on a few occasions in the past. Would like know if there are certain cabins avoid. Thanks

I have sailed on the "Balmoral" several time have never experienced these problems. All cruise ships tend to have health problems from time to time. These are created mainly by passengers bringing infections on board.

I am booked again on this lovely ship in September. If I were you I would go ahead and enjoy a memorable cruise.:)

The Balmoral is a lovely ship but last time we were aboard on a half world cruise to Sydney people were going down like flies with this chest infection some contracting pneumonia even the new acts coming aboard were cancelling their show because of it. I would like to do the other half of this cruise but it is a little worry if this still on board as reports of the problem go back to 2009

The Balmoral is a lovely ship but last time we were aboard on a half world cruise to Sydney people were going down like flies with this chest infection some contracting pneumonia even the new acts coming aboard were cancelling their show because of it. I would like to do the other half of this cruise but it is a little worry if this still on board as reports of the problem go back to 2009

Did Dubai to Hong Kong this year & lots of people were coughing. I certainly wouldn't call it a lovely ship!!

We sailed in it and were on from the Azores to Southampton in the first of the many storms of our wet and windy winter and I expect most bugs to have blown or washed away by now.

I tend to pick up colds and coughs more on a flight of a couple of hours than weeks on a ship - any ship.

Mmmm would not totally agree there from personal experience, it seems once you get into warmer climes the problems of chest infections on this ship arise. But the jury is still out. Thanks for reply

• 2 weeks later...

If you walk down a street in the UK at the moment people are coughing and spluttering. After a very mild Winter there are so many "bugs" about. Passengers on cruise ships suffer the same problems. Add to this the average age of passengers on world cruises is, by necessity, high you must expect this.

I am booked on the "Balmoral" in September for my 33rd cruise on Fred. Olsen ships (around 40 on all lines) and I will try to forget about threats of illness and get on with enjoying another great cruise on this ship.

I really don't think you can blame a ship for these infections? My husband had a sore throat whilst on board. I was fine. It's passengers that bring these things on to a ship and just breathe! I have been on other ships where half of them have gone down with coughs, colds, infections.

This happened last time I was on The Balmoral at least 50% went down with chest infections.There were long queue,s at sick bay every morning and evening with quite a few getting referral letters for Xrays when we berthed

• 5 weeks later...

As Toby 2 was getting off, I was getting on. It was my first cruise so I thought the disinfectant gel dispensers at every turn were normal and the stewards standing between them giving you another squirt for good measure from their bottle was a bit over the top I thought but now I understand.

I can confirm that over Easter the Balmoral was as clean as a new pin and bug free.