Princess cruises friendly for gays?

roadmap

Hello!

My girlfriend and I are taking her first cruise, and our first as a couple, on Princess cruises to Alaska. Do you know if Princess is gay friendly?

Congrats on your first cruise!

We have sailed on Princess and have always felt completely comfortable.

You might want to browse the LGBT forum for more info. Have fun on your cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162

Yes, as is HAL, RCI, Celebrity, NCI...... all of the mass market cruise lines.

I notice in your signature you have sailed on Ruby Princess so have prior Princess experience.

Have a great cruise.

Edited by sail7seas

Yes, they are friendly, as are HAL and RCCL. My wife and I walk hand in hand and dance in the clubs. We sometimes attend Friends of Dorothy and other GLBT gatherings. Lots of out gays and lesbians sailing these days. It is simply not an issue. We are out in all aspects of our lives. The crew is gracious and non plussed and most passengers are happy to meet and get to know us. We have never had an unpleasant experience.

Yes, as is HAL, RCI, Celebrity, NCI...... all of the mass market cruise lines.

I notice in your signature you have sailed on Ruby Princess so have prior Princess experience.

Have a great cruise.

I have not sailed on a luxury line yet (perhaps, someday!), but I enjoy reading their forums here on CC. Happy to report that it seems that the luxury lines are also accepting and welcoming. That's nice. :)

I don't see that it would be much of an issue. I can't help but wonder though, if you and your partner were at our table, how would we know you are gay? Would you say "Hi name is "Susie" and this is my partner "Patty" (if you are males change the names, but you get my point) "And we're gay?" I'm not interested in your personal life, I'm interested in you. It would show bad manners for hetero couples to engage in overt "PDA" and the same would apply to gays.

The "In your face" gays attitude is a huge turn off. It's the same thing as any other "In your face" group. You're Gay? So what? Your African American ? So what? I'm a combat Viet Nam Veteran. Thanks for my service, but so what? That doesn't define me. I am Gordon first.

I don't see that it would be much of an issue. I can't help but wonder though, if you and your partner were at our table, how would we know you are gay? Would you say "Hi name is "Susie" and this is my partner "Patty" (if you are males change the names, but you get my point) "And we're gay?" I'm not interested in your personal life, I'm interested in you. It would show bad manners for hetero couples to engage in overt "PDA" and the same would apply to gays.

The "In your face" gays attitude is a huge turn off. It's the same thing as any other "In your face" group. You're Gay? So what? Your African American ? So what? I'm a combat Viet Nam Veteran. Thanks for my service, but so what? That doesn't define me. I am Gordon first.

I am not the OP, but I would say (and hope?) the vast majority of gay folk would introduce themselves just as you suggested: "This is my partner, or this is my wife, or this is my husband". To add "and we are gay" seems unnecessary to me, the same as a male/female couple adding "and we are straight" would be.

Would be happy to share a table with you sometime. :)

Edited by RJ2002

Well, I'd say, "hi my name is Maggie and this is my wife Cheryl". I might mention our daughter. Likely, I'd ask you your names and where you are from. BUT......given your comment above..."The "In your face" gays attitude is a huge turn off.", I think I'd pick up on your attitude and likely request a table change. It's a new world. Most of us are over hiding who we are;)

You missed my point. "In Your Face" refers to the likes of "I'm whatever" and you have to accept it weather you like it or not. To paraphrase a quote from Dr. Martin Luther King we should all accept someone for the content of their carachter not what ever label they choose to identify themselves with. I'm hetero and caucasion yes, but that doesnt define me