Child Drowns on Norwegian Cruise Ship, Second Child Airlifted to Hospital

LauraS

Why weren't they being supervised?

Please, let's not start this second guessing again. Unless someone has clear facts, let's just leave it alone.

Nobody knows what level of supervision was taking place or the events that led to this tragedy.

Please respect those impacted.

First I would like to say my thoughts and prayers go out to the family that lost their precious child and also praying for the complete recovery of the child that is hospitalized.

Now my questions are where were the parents when the kids were in the pool and were they wearing water wings or some other safety device. It clearly states that there are no lifeguards on duty.

Please, let's not start this second guessing again. Unless someone has clear facts, let's just leave it alone.

Nobody knows what level of supervision was taking place or the events that led to this tragedy.

I do respect those impacted, but I also question the childrens' supervision. This is a completely avoidable tragedy. A child drowned recently on I believe a Carnival cruise ship. Hopefully parents can learn from these tragedies that they must supervise their children at all times in the pools.

I do respect those impacted, but I also question the childrens' supervision. This is a completely avoidable tragedy....

You do not KNOW if this was avoidable. And you should not presume so.

In the United States, 10 people die from drowning every day (on average). Two of those are young children. (CDC Statistics).

Based on your statement, these are ALL avoidable.

Unless you have the facts, stop blaming people.

Edited by garycarla

I'm saying I would like to know about the supervision of these children while in the pool, which BTW is a totally normal question to ask and I know I'm not the only one wondering about it.

A lot of drownings, sadly, probably are avoidable.

Edited by moposh

Check out the latest Norwegian Cruise Line news from Cruise Critic:

Child Drowns on Norwegian Cruise Ship, Second Child Airlifted to Hospital

This is a very tragic situation. My thoughts go out to the family, people who witnessed the rescue and to the crew who were present and responding. A loss of any kind is a tough situation but young children is heartbreaking. I do hope Norwegian Cruise Line offers everyone involved in the situation from the family involved to the people present there and the crew there counseling if they want it. My thoughts are with all of those who witnessed this.

Thanks garycala. This in not the time to play the blame game or be judgmental. It is the time to pray for the family!!!!!

I'm saying I would like to know about the supervision of these children while in the pool, which BTW is a totally normal question to ask and I know I'm not the only one wondering about it.

A lot of drownings, sadly, probably are avoidable.

most accidents are avoidable, but we will probably never know what really happened, so, at this time, we just need to send our thoughts and prayers to the family. End of story!!!!!

Seriously, as I posted on another thread regarding this topic, it is not appropriate to speculate or play the blame game here. The fact is a 4 year old child's life was ended and a 6 year old is fighting for his life. Isn't that enough right now? Thoughts and prayers should be sent to the children, their families and friends and everyone aboard the Breakaway that witnessed this horrific event. So sad!!

Edited by camz

I hate it when these tragic accidents happen. I also hate it when people are so quick to blame the parents/care givers. Especially when they know absolutely nothing about what happened. I have an idea, how about people wait until the facts come out before they jump to conclusions. All your doing is showing your ignorance. :rolleyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do respect those impacted, but I also question the childrens' supervision. This is a completely avoidable tragedy. A child drowned recently on I believe a Carnival cruise ship. Hopefully parents can learn from these tragedies that they must supervise their children at all times in the pools.

Unfortunately, MANY children drown every year, just not on cruise ship pools....the lesson learned from ANY child who dies in water that EVERY parent needs to be ESPECIALLY VILIGANT!!!! Be it your home pool, the bathtub, or even a mop bucket. I saw a FB post recently that showed a toddler in the bathtub seated in a "laundry basket" so that the water flowed in and out, the toys stayed put, AND the child had something to reach for if they slipped under the water....I only wish I had known of such a secondary way of ensuring safety when we raised our house full of kids!!!

My thoughts and prayers are with the family, crew, medics and passengers. Whatever the cause to lose a child, that burden the family will have to carry for the rest of their lives.

Being a grandmother, I cannot imagine what the trip to the hospital with the surviving child must have been like! Bless her.

Why is it a bad thing to ask about parental supervision?

Fact: A stranger pulled the children from the pool.

Fact: A stranger performed CPR until the crew arrived.

Fact: a grandmother accompanied a child to the hospital.

Where are the parents?

I think it is important to find out more information also. Wise people learn from other's mistakes and there was obviously a mistake made somewhere. If the story ends here, many people will assume it is the fault of the cruise ship and that most likely is totally wrong.

Unfortunately, MANY children drown every year, just not on cruise ship pools....the lesson learned from ANY child who dies in water that EVERY parent needs to be ESPECIALLY VILIGANT!!!! Be it your home pool, the bathtub, or even a mop bucket. I saw a FB post recently that showed a toddler in the bathtub seated in a "laundry basket" so that the water flowed in and out, the toys stayed put, AND the child had something to reach for if they slipped under the water....I only wish I had known of such a secondary way of ensuring safety when we raised our house full of kids!!!

Please, people! I don't want to go off track here, but I keep seeing people posting things like this "laundry basket" solution and recommending flotation devises such as water wings for infants and young children who cannot swim. It only takes a second for a toddler to stand up and fall out of a basket, or for water wings to deflate or fall off. IMO, all these do is offer parents a false sense of security and perhaps give them permission, if even for a few seconds, to leave a child unattended. If your child is in a pool, you should be in it with them, water wings or not.

Debe, I am NOT suggesting that you would ever do this.

I think it is important to find out more information also. Wise people learn from other's mistakes and there was obviously a mistake made somewhere. If the story ends here, many people will assume it is the fault of the cruise ship and that most likely is totally wrong.

If a mistake was made anywhere, it is probably one that thousands of people make daily, and they just get lucky and nothing happens. They read a book while their child is in the pool, or they get engrossed in conversation with the person next to them. They get a false sense of security because maybe there is a lifeguard, or if not, there are lots of other people in the pool, and Joey just learned how to swim, or they put water wings on the kid, just in case, and someone will surely notice if a kid gets into trouble!

They don't realize that drowning is a very quiet process which does not draw attention to the person in trouble. There are no shouts, calls for help, or frantic splashing. It can only take a few seconds. I wish everyone would look up the Seven Quiet Signs of Drowning. Perhaps someone will post a link as they did after the Carnival incident. You could be looking directly at a child while they drown and never be aware of it if you don't know the signs, so let's not fault the family in this tragic situation.

Blame the parents, blame the grandparents, blame the crew, blame the passengers on the pool deck or in the pool, blame the cruise line!!! BLAME THEM ALL!!! All of you judgemental,self-rightous, "I would NEVER take my eyes off my child" people! None of this will turn back the clock and bring back the life of that little boy! None of this will change the fact that those parents are now not only suffering the loss of a child, they are also watching and waiting while another child fights for his life! My guess is, they don't need to hear it from a bunch of "I'm a better parent than you are" know-it-alls! They are blaming themselves much worse than you can and always will!

Blame the parents, blame the grandparents, blame the crew, blame the passengers on the pool deck or in the pool, blame the cruise line!!! BLAME THEM ALL!!! All of you judgemental,self-rightous, "I would NEVER take my eyes off my child" people! None of this will turn back the clock and bring back the life of that little boy! None of this will change the fact that those parents are now not only suffering the loss of a child, they are also watching and waiting while another child fights for his life! My guess is, they don't need to hear it from a bunch of "I'm a better parent than you are" know-it-alls! They are blaming themselves much worse than you can and always will!

Unless the parents are reading this thread, they're not hearing it from anyone here. There's no harm in people discussing prevention from drowning. We don't know who was in charge of the children at the time, but it's clear that someone wasn't supervising them closely enough. You can't argue that. It's incredibly sad what happened, but discussing it helps remind people to never take their eyes off their kids when they're swimming.