HELP! How do I choose cruise line for Europe?

kimlovesfl

The DH and I went on our first cruise in January, a 5 nt western Carib on the Celebrity Constellation, and loved it. I want to cruise the Med (particularly Italy) in Sept or Oct 2015, but how the heck do I decide which line to book?

We loved Celebrity, and would be more than happy to go on them again. I would also consider Princess, RCI, and Norwegian. Looking for 7-12 days, great food on ship, nice cabins, good service, and I will be upgrading from oceanview to balcony this time around. Don't want a lot of kids around.

What do you all think?

I asked my TA about HAL as well, and he said he thought it would be "too old" for us, and we're in our early 50s. We also like live entertainment, my husband doesn't drink at all, and I just like wine with my meals, maybe a rare cocktail.

Edited by kimlovesfl

The problem is, the ports are very similar, making it harder to choose. Italy is my #1 priority, but I would also love to go to Greece, and Barcelona.

Celebrity Reflection/Silhouette are in the Med for 10nts that fit.

Emerald Princess have some matches that fit your wish list.

An option for Barcelona, Greece and Italy and 12 nts in Sept>>Oct 2015 is Norwegian Spirit.

Routes are between Barcelona to Venice or Venice to Barcelona.

If you sacrifice Greece, NCL Epic is also an option from Barcelona for 7nts

If you sacrifice Barcelona NCL Jade is an option from Venice for 7nts

Extending a 7nts with a couple of nights in Barcelona or Venice is worth considering.

Edited by helpthejuggler

Here are some points I would be considering:

-Ports are obviously the most important consideration, but also look at port times - there's a big difference between leaving port at 3pm and leaving at say 6-7 pm. On our Equinox cruise, we were often the last ship out in the evening;

-Also look at what port you're really stopping at. For instance, if you want to go to Florence, are you stopping at Livorno, or La Spezia? It's an hour's difference in travelling time, so very important to consider;

-I agree somewhat that the itinerary matters more than the ship/line, but you'll still be spending a good chunk of time on the ship, so you want to have something that suits. HAL has the reputation of being an "old" line, but I honestly saw just a great a range of ages on my Noordam cruise than on my other cruises.

-If Italy is very important, I recommend a few days/week pre- or post-cruise touring the country. It's very easy to tour using trains, and you get a much better feel for the country that way.

Usually, we look at all the possible cruises, pick 3-4 for our short list... and then book the best deal. And the more you research cruises, the better you'll be at spotting a great deal when you see one.

The Spirit is a lovely ship. It was built originally for the Asian market and is more 'classical' than today's mega-ships. (Real wood; real tiles; no amusement parks;) etc.)

Best service I've ever had on a ship. Many NCL fans reckon that the Spirit is their favourite ship. There are plenty of US fans who are happy that the Spirit is going back to the States for winter 2015 (us Europeans not so much :()

Good question, but we do have a strong suggestion. European/Med cruises are primarily about the itinerary and the actual ship/line is less important. So you should carefully evaluate the various itineraries paying particular attention to the times a ship is in port (the longer the port stop the better) and the days of the week they are in various ports. You should be particularly concerned about Sundays and Mondays (especially in Italy) when many places might be closed. In some ports, such as Istanbul, Tuesday can be a bad day because of Topkapi Palace being closed.

Also consider your personal budget and the cost of getting to various places (especially if you plan on using the oft overpriced cruise line excursions). Ports like Civitavecchia and Livorno are over an hour away from their main destination places. Also consider the embarkation/debarkation ports. We love cruises that embark and debark at 2 different ports (such as from Civitavecchia to Istanbul) because one can really maximize the fun of their trip by spending a few extra days at both ends. But just getting between an airport and your port can be a hassle and expensive in a place like Civitavecchia (an hour from the FCO airport).

Hank

Like others have said, a European cruise is pretty port intense. I'd choose by itinerary (that you like the best) price, dates. Then...whatever line it happens to be...so be it. Also check and see what the airfares are if you use cruiseline air. Airfare to Europe is WAY more than it ever used to be and if one line will give you a way better airfare, that's something to consider.

We have been to Europe on both Princess and HAL. Loved them both. HAL is not for the older crowd. Just more refined. Both have great food. I'd give the nod to HAL for excursions and cabins. Personally, I'd stay away from NCL. Just my opinion based on so many negative reviews.

As others have said really think about the ports and then find cruises that go to them.

We were interested in Italy, more specifically Rome. We started looking at cruises which would max our time there, i.e. more than 1 day. So we opted for a crusie which started and ended in Rome so we could stay there a few extra days. However we were willing to look at cruises starting in Venice because we could fly into Rome and take the train up to Venice. We ended up doing Rome, Greece, Turkey & Naples on Celebrity Reflection. So you really need to think about the ports first then start looking at lines.

Also just an FYI if you do the Med in summer there will be kids no matter the line. Even though Celebrity has the branding of being upscale/couples, we had tons of kids on our trip, most were the tween/teen range rather than little ones.

Also wanted to add I picked up the Rick Steve's Med cruise book which was handy if you are unsure about what ports you really want to see. It has nice short blurbs about the cities & what's there which might help you narrow down choices.

Edited by hansolosmom

I like to start a graph chart. Put the cruiselines/ships across the top. Down the side put the things important to you (ship size, cabin type, ports, times in ports, excursions, cost, etc.). As you research, put an "X" in the conjoining box. As you near the end of your research one should have more x's than the others.

For me, I chose Princess Grand Med. We left from Civitavecchia (Rome) to Monte Carlo, Livorno (Pisa & Florence), Naples, Santorini, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Athens, Katakolon (Olympia), Corfu and ending in Venice (12 nights). We did 1 day pre-cruise in Paris, 3 days pre-cruise in Rome, 3 days post-curise in Venice and 2 days post-cruise in Paris making it a 21 day trip. The ship was larger than any I had been on, and I wouldn't go on again. I found Princess to be lacking in communication also, especially for independent excursions.

I much prefer HAL and my friend prefers NCL. So you have lots of choices. We did notice that NCL Jade had a lot of free shuttles (as they were in a lot of the same ports with us). Princess NEVER provided a free shuttle, but NCL let us ride their shuttle.

Just a couple of tips. For Europe, have a Plan "A", then a Plan "B" for when Plan "A" falls apart, and it wouldn't hurt to even have a Plan "C" and just go with the flow. We found very little went according to plan. And take half the clothes you think you need, and twice the money (especially if you do any days pre/post cruise. Hotels, food and transportation is very expensive. We had budgeted $4500 pp and ended up spending $6000 pp. To date, it has been our most expensive trip of any taken in the last 30 years.

Have fun planning, then taking your cruise to the Med. It is awesome to stand and touch the Acropolis and Colosseum and know they over 1000 years old :eek: it is truly amazing. Stop and think, the US started in 1776??? You want to talk HISTORY! So much to see and do, and so little time to do it in.

All things being equal, if you liked Celebrity and they have a cruise that ticks your boxes, why not stick with them?

I'm now early 50s, but sailed with HAL in the Med a couple of years back. I did find it dull at night -- and you mention that you like live entertainment. Another line I'd recommend you consider is Princess; they seem to have a variety of entertainment in the evening.

But neither Celebrity or Princess is likely to be really "hopping" at night either -- the Med itineraries are so intensive. You are off the ship early most days and not back until just before dinner.

P.S. In response to Agabbymama, I mostly do the Med ports "on my own" with intensive research. I can't say that in 6 Med cruises I've ever had my plans fall apart significantly, but I do agree about having a Plan B. Also, none of the large, mainstream cruiselines will help you with independent day trips in my experience (and only one of the smaller lines that I've been on). They are set up to make money off their shore excursions and they will do everything possible to sell you on the idea that you are better off taking them -- including giving little or no support to anyone wanting to go off on their own or take a private tour.

Edited by cruisemom42

I would disagree and say Europe ports are vastly different...esp when you are going from Italy to Montenegro for example.

If you want to truly immerse yourself in Med culture the there are lines like MSC and Costa that have many languages on board.

I like Oceania for port intensive the cruises. There is not a lot of entertainment but when we are off the ship early and back after a long day of touring we like to freshen up and have a nice meal whenever we want. The smaller ships can get into ports that are closer to the sites so you don't waste a lot of time getting there and back.

I also recommend you spend a couple of days pre or post cruise in the country you want to see most. Research the ports and decide what you want to see - for example there are way more than 1 days worth of sites in Florence - so if you overnight you will have a chance to see more of the city. Start looking at prices for tours - ships and private - so you don't have sticker shock when you decide which tours to do.

We are taking our first cruise in Europe in 2015 and have chosen the RCL Allure of the Seas leaving Rome on the 3rd Sept and we might then book the celebrity Reflection that leaves from the same port on the 12th sept as I want to do the Greek Islands. We are from Australia and it is a great way to see a fair bit if the Mediterranean.

Take a look at the vacations to go website as it lists all the ships that are leaving that area on one page.

Might see you there lol

The problem is, the ports are very similar, making it harder to choose. Italy is my #1 priority, but I would also love to go to Greece, and Barcelona.

Our last TA was Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale, with a couple of stops in Italy and just had to go back and see more. We've booked on the Island Princess for a 12 night cruise in August 2015 going from Barcelona to Venice, including a total of 4 ports in Italy, 2 in Greece, 2 in Turkey (DH wants to see Istanbul), 1 in France. We have to see Venice and with the new restrictions on cruiseships in the port at Venice, we had to go with a smaller ship.

I like Oceania for port intensive the cruises. There is not a lot of entertainment but when we are off the ship early and back after a long day of touring we like to freshen up and have a nice meal whenever we want. The smaller ships can get into ports that are closer to the sites so you don't waste a lot of time getting there and back.

I also recommend you spend a couple of days pre or post cruise in the country you want to see most. Research the ports and decide what you want to see - for example there are way more than 1 days worth of sites in Florence - so if you overnight you will have a chance to see more of the city. Start looking at prices for tours - ships and private - so you don't have sticker shock when you decide which tours to do.

Oceania would also be my first choice if you really want to do a cruise. But Italy is better seen on a land tour. Oceania is pricey and there is nothing wrong with Celebrity if they have the ports you want to see.

P.S. In response to Agabbymama, I mostly do the Med ports "on my own" with intensive research. I can't say that in 6 Med cruises I've ever had my plans fall apart significantly, but I do agree about having a Plan B. Also, none of the large, mainstream cruiselines will help you with independent day trips in my experience (and only one of the smaller lines that I've been on). They are set up to make money off their shore excursions and they will do everything possible to sell you on the idea that you are better off taking them -- including giving little or no support to anyone wanting to go off on their own or take a private tour.

Cruisemom,

I haven't done as many cruises to Europe as you have, but I have traveled on 6 land trips and only the 1 cruise to Europe. I have 8 cruises on various lines, and Grand Princess has been the absolute worst at communication, whether for tours, transfers, independent excursions, their own excursions, etc. Just too many to try and post on a forum. We were totally put off Princess and I would not ever cruise with them again. Now that is just our experience on that 1 cruise, but it was enough to show me I wasn't giving them my money anymore.

But 1 example of things going wrong. I had made my hotel reservation for Rome at a lovely B&B close to the Vatican directly on their website. Got my confirmation back. The next day, I received an email from the proprietor that he was sorry, the dates I needed were not available. I was bummed, but I proceeded to find other accommodation. Fast forward 6 months, at 1:30 in the morning I received a phone call confirming my reservation at the B&B. I responded that I didn't need the room, he was angry that I was cancelling the reservation with only a week's notice. I told him "he had cancelled the reservation 6 months ago, not I". He still tried to insist I should take the reservation. I worried for months that he would charge my credit card, and watched it closely even after we returned home.

And still another incident. My husband and I were driving Germany, Austria, Italy, Belgium, Switzerland, and back to Germany. We discovered ETAP hotels (owned by the same company that owns Motel 6 here in the States), so prices were reasonable. I picked up a booklet, only to discover it was in German (no English copies). One day we ended up having to go to 3 different ones (first one had a fire, 2nd one was full from guests moved from the first one, slept the night in the car, finally the 3rd one was able to accommodate us for the night before our flight home).

Now not to say these RUINED our trips, but they sure didn't ADD to the trip either. In my 30 trips around the World, I have found if you are going to travel, you better be prepared to go with the flow NO MATTER HOW MUCH INTENSIVE RESEARCH & PLANNING you do.

And yet 1 more comes to mind. I had pre-booked all our hotels for our 4 week trip to Australia in 1990 and paid in advance. We arrived to the hotel in Perth to have them tell us the price had increased and they wanted double what I had booked at. They were unbending, and stated they would REFUND what I had paid, but they couldn't accommodate us for the price we had paid. Now we are standing in the middle of Perth with no accommodation for the next 5 nights. Finally asked the taxi driver for his recommendation for a decent place to stay without breaking the bank. Thank goodness they speak English there, or I would have really been sunk.

I could go on, but you get my drift, I'm sure. You have travelled too much not to. Or maybe I am just the unlucky one. Happy travels to all!

We did a cruisetour with RCCL which started in Venice(2days), Florence(1 1/2days), and Rome(2days). Boarded the ship after Rome and first port stop was in Sicily, then to Turkey, Greece, and back to Italy. Very good trip with wonderful guides, luxury hotels, etc. Would recommend this trip to everyone interested in Italy and the Greek Islands. RCCL took great care with the land portion and we absolutely loved it. We have traveled Europe many times and this was not an extremely expensive way to see some of Europe. Loved cruising and seeing all the islands!

Cruisemom,

I haven't done as many cruises to Europe as you have, but I have traveled on 6 land trips and only the 1 cruise to Europe. I have 8 cruises on various lines, and Grand Princess has been the absolute worst at communication, whether for tours, transfers, independent excursions, their own excursions, etc. Just too many to try and post on a forum. We were totally put off Princess and I would not ever cruise with them again. Now that is just our experience on that 1 cruise, but it was enough to show me I wasn't giving them my money anymore.

As I said, I've cruised with Princess in the Med, along with 4 other lines. Only one of them (Voyages to Antiquity) was any better than any of the other lines at being helpful to DIY passengers such as myself.

Princess actually did a much better job of communicating about their own tours and transfers (and managing them) than HAL did, on both the Med and the Baltics cruises I took with them. Sorry that your own experience was so different.

But 1 example of things going wrong. I had made my hotel reservation for Rome at a lovely B&B close to the Vatican directly on their website. Got my confirmation back. The next day, I received an email from the proprietor that he was sorry, the dates I needed were not available. I was bummed, but I proceeded to find other accommodation. Fast forward 6 months, at 1:30 in the morning I received a phone call confirming my reservation at the B&B. I responded that I didn't need the room, he was angry that I was cancelling the reservation with only a week's notice. I told him "he had cancelled the reservation 6 months ago, not I". He still tried to insist I should take the reservation. I worried for months that he would charge my credit card, and watched it closely even after we returned home.

I've never had anything like that happen in Europe, either in association with a cruise or on many independent land trips.

And still another incident. My husband and I were driving Germany, Austria, Italy, Belgium, Switzerland, and back to Germany. We discovered ETAP hotels (owned by the same company that owns Motel 6 here in the States), so prices were reasonable. I picked up a booklet, only to discover it was in German (no English copies). One day we ended up having to go to 3 different ones (first one had a fire, 2nd one was full from guests moved from the first one, slept the night in the car, finally the 3rd one was able to accommodate us for the night before our flight home).

Never had this happen either.

Now not to say these RUINED our trips, but they sure didn't ADD to the trip either. In my 30 trips around the World, I have found if you are going to travel, you better be prepared to go with the flow NO MATTER HOW MUCH INTENSIVE RESEARCH & PLANNING you do.

Of course that's true. And I'm an even-keeled person who can take that in stride, when needs be. Sure, I've faced the odd unanticipated closure or the "what do I do on a rainy day when I planned to be out in the ruins all day" quandary. But I do think that really detailed planning, and double- or triple-checking will eliminate a lot of major snafus.

And yet 1 more comes to mind. I had pre-booked all our hotels for our 4 week trip to Australia in 1990 and paid in advance. We arrived to the hotel in Perth to have them tell us the price had increased and they wanted double what I had booked at. They were unbending, and stated they would REFUND what I had paid, but they couldn't accommodate us for the price we had paid. Now we are standing in the middle of Perth with no accommodation for the next 5 nights. Finally asked the taxi driver for his recommendation for a decent place to stay without breaking the bank. Thank goodness they speak English there, or I would have really been sunk.

It really seems many of your issues have been with accommodations. I can only speculate, given what I've read of your posts about hotels on the Italy boards, that perhaps it is because I tend to pay a bit more to stay in higher priced, well-reviewed hotels. Or maybe, as you say, I am just lucky.

I could go on, but you get my drift, I'm sure. You have travelled too much not to. Or maybe I am just the unlucky one. Happy travels to all!

This is getting well off topic, but see my responses above, since you chose to address me personally.

What can I say -- I am an extremely detail-oriented person. I do much more research than I think most people on these boards do (or would think reasonable)...! I generally triple confirm tours and hotels, as well getting multiple sources of information on sites (opening hours, unanticipated closings) and on travel (I check multiple websites to look for planned strikes). Websites, books and people get things wrong, and I never feel comfortable unless I confirm something via multiple sources.

I put together multi-page documents with maps, notes, references, etc. These are not just copied and pasted but actually read and annotated by me. I mentally walk through my day and what it will involve, trying to figure out if I've forgotten anything. I use Google Maps to do walk throughs and create maps. I have information (and backup information) on all possible trains, bus numbers, etc.

I also try to keep in mind what is really reasonable for a day and don't try to bite off more than I can chew, either time-wise or logistically.

By the same token, others who have a more laid-back approach (Hlitner comes to mind) also don't seem to report having as many problems traveling in Europe as you seem to have experienced....

I've been here long enough to recall when you were on the Italy board planning things for you and your friend on the Princess Med cruise. You didn't mention (at least, not in the posts I read) that you and your friend had mobility limitations. Hence, many of the responses you received suggested you should have no problem doing things on your own, whereas in reality, it proved difficult. As an example -- an insurmountable walk to the ferry in Naples for you would not have been a problem for many others.

I am not saying that things don't go wrong. But just maybe there is a reason why I have been so "lucky" in my travels -- and that is the many, many hours of preparation that I put in for each trip.

Edited by cruisemom42