Neptune Suite on Amsterdam

larn796

We have booked a Neptune Suite on the Amsterdam for a Alaska sailing out of Seattle. Can anyone tell me about the amenities offered? How is the ship in general?

Suite amenities are listed on Holland American Website. Amsterdam is one of the nicest ships in the fleet.

Neptune Suite (Deluxe Verandah Suite)

Lower beds convertible to 1 king-size bed, a large sitting area, dressing room, private verandah, 1 sofa bed for 2 persons, floor-to-ceiling windows, no-host mini-bar and walk-in closet*, (488-700 sq. ft. with verandah*).

*Refer to Deck Plans for specific information

Neptune Suites Include all the Superior Suite amenities, plus:

• Use of the exclusive Neptune Lounge and personal concierge service*
  • Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise
  • Complimentary sparkling wine served in the Neptune Lounge upon embarkation
  • Complimentary bottled water provided in suite at embarkation
  • Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night
  • Cold hors d’oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request
  • Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise
  • Cocktail party with ship’s officers
  • Priority boarding for tendered ports of call
  • Special disembarkation service
  • Priority dining and seating requests
  • Exclusive daily breakfast service
  • High tea service in suite on request
  • Elegant wooden clothing brush, lint remover and shoehorn for keeping clothing immaculate
  • Fragrant bath salts and exfoliating loofah mitt for an invigorating shower experience

*A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Neptune or Pinnacle Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge

is closed.

Signature Suite (Superior Suite)

Exclusively available on Vista and Signature Class ships, Signature Suites offer 2 lower beds convertible to 1 queen-size bed, bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath, shower and additional shower stall, large sitting area, private verandah, 1 sofa bed for 1 person, floor-to-ceiling window/sliding glass door leading to your personal verandah.

Refer to Deck Plans for specific information

Signature Suites include all the stateroom amenities, plus:

• A variety of firm, medium and soft pillows
  • No-host mini-bar for easy entertaining
  • Personalized cruise stationery
  • Oversized bath towels
  • One-touch telephone concierge service
  • Fresh flowers
  • Complimentary DVD library

How is the ship in general?

The Amsterdam was launched in 2000 so it is one of the older ones. But it is in excellent condition IMO. It was in dry dock in December 2013 and many of the public areas were refurbished as were cabins on decks 1 and 2. Neptune Suites were not redone at that time. Unfortunately, the Internet situation on the Amsterdam is still not fixed - we had problems in December on the first cruise out of dry dock and there are still major issues. If you follow any of the current World Cruise blogs you are likely to pick up info on the ship. The crew is fabulous. We have done six cruises on this ship including the two week Alaska out of Seattle in a Neptune Suite (in an SB aft preferring the shower only). The Amsterdam is my favorite HAL ship.

We were also on the first cruise out of drydock in December (though we joined at San Diego, rather than San Francisco).

The ship was in excellent condition, as far as I was concerned.

There are some differences between the R and the Vista class ships in the suite configuration. The R class ships lack the double vanity, but they do have a sink in the dressing room. I like the closet arrangement better in the R class ships, but I prefer the desk at the window on the Vistas. These are, frankly, small questions of personal preference.

The Neptune Lounge is on the smallish side, given that all of Deck 7 is given over to Neptune Suites. That being said, I never encountered significant crowding, and the only evidence of heavy load on the Neptune was the occasional need for the coffee machine to be attended to for disposal of accumulated grounds.

The quality of service from the concierges is invariably good, in my experience, though Gilbert (our concierge in December/January) will doubtless have moved back to the front desk department by the time you are sailing. His replacement will doubtless be of the same high standard.

The balance of the ships' amenities are, generally speaking, of a very high standard--perhaps second only to the Prinsendam. That quality is, of course, subject to the skill and dedication of the crew. There were one or two gaps in the early days of our cruise from some of the dining room stewards, and the insufficient number of wine stewards was much in evidence (especially on New Year's Eve!) but these aren't attributable to the ship herself.

. We have done six cruises on this ship including the two week Alaska out of Seattle in a Neptune Suite (in an SB aft preferring the shower only). The Amsterdam is my favorite HAL ship.

We, too, prefer shower only in the older ships. Those tub sides are getting to be too high for a short-legged sailor like me:) So for the 14-nt Alaska cruise, that's what we chose, instead of a more midship SA.

Any hints on those SB afts? Can you step out onto the aft deck from the passageway? Was there any internet access in the cabin?

Thanks for any and/or all info you can offer....

We, too, prefer shower only in the older ships. Those tub sides are getting to be too high for a short-legged sailor like me:) So for the 14-nt Alaska cruise, that's what we chose, instead of a more midship SA.

Any hints on those SB afts? Can you step out onto the aft deck from the passageway? Was there any internet access in the cabin?

Thanks for any and/or all info you can offer....

Yes, you can go out the aft door a few steps away and have direct access up the stairs to the Sea View Pool on the Lido deck. We really like that. I assume there is Internet access but can't say for sure as we don't bring computer with us. The only downside is the walk forward for exiting and to the Neptune Lounge if that is a perk you really like. I also think it is quieter back there. And when the ship is turning at Glacier Bay. convenient to go from your balcony to the aft to see a different view. Also good viewing during Panama Canal transit.

Something I DON'T like about the Neptune Suites on the Amsterdam is you don't get breakfast in the Pinnacle. Breakfast for NS passengers is in the upper dining room, and felt less special to me. Also, Neptune Lounge is small compared to Vista ships.

Roz

Something I DON'T like about the Neptune Suites on the Amsterdam is you don't get breakfast in the Pinnacle. Breakfast for NS passengers is in the upper dining room, and felt less special to me. Also, Neptune Lounge is small compared to Vista ships.

Roz

A couple of times -- years ago -- the King's Room was used for Breakfast -- which was very nice. Then the King's Room was changed into a storage area for extra tables and chairs.

We did not like the upper level of the dining room for breakfast either.

Roz

True, but it's still a very nice, order what you like, breakfast with attentive personal service.

Only Neptune Suites get breakfast in the Pinnacle, and I think the High Tea referred to is in your suite. I've not used that perk.

Drginch, breakfast in the upper dining room was no more attentive or any different than breakfast on the lower level for non-suite passengers.

Roz