My next packing challenge

jp2001

Hi,

I like packing challenges and I now have a real one to share with you.

I'm going on a last-minute 5 night cruise out of Miami (but driving from Canada to Plattsburg and then flying). I found a very good deal on a flight but Spirit Airlines asks 30$ each way to check a suitcase or 40$ to bring a carry-on. However, they allow ONE piece of personnal item that must not be exceed 16''x14''x12''. I do have a travel bag that fit this criteria but it must be my only luggage, no additional purse, nothing.

At least, the cruise is on NCL so only casual clothes are required... but I still like to look put together and to dress up a bit for dinner. Here is what I plan to bring (but I'll need to test the packing tomorrow to make 100% sure it fits):

Shoes - probably the hardest as they take up lots of space

- Black&white Running shoes that I'll wear on the plane (gym and active excursions)

- My One-Sole sandals and 3 tops (http://www.onesole.com/) for days and nights on the ship. One of the top is the strappy type so it's a bit more dressy while the 2 others are of the comfortable fabric type.

- black flip flops (pool/beach), matching my black and coral bathing suit + my black skirt and most tops

Dress:

1 sundress that packs small

Bottoms:

- long pants that I can roll up to capris to be worn on travel days.

- Black&white knee length skirt

- Fast-dry Black skirt (think mid thigh tennis skirt)

- Black capris IF I CAN FIT THEM IN - otherwise I'll look for another skirt that packs small, maybe white or some other solid color fitting a few tops.

- shorts of the gym

Tops:

- 1 casual t-shirt fitting the black skirt and long pants

- 3 embellished t-shirts fitting all bottoms (days). One of them can be dressed up with necklace/shrug and be alright for dinner.

- 3 cami matching the 2 skirts/capris (1 black, 1 ''coral'', 1 sporty/chic black&white)

- 2 fancier tops, each one matching one of the skirts and the capris/skirt to purchase

Others:

- Bathing suit

- black shrug to dress up some tops/cami and matching both skirts

- Personnal items (tooth brush/paste, antiperspirant, lip gloss, mascara)

(I'll buy sunscreen in Miami because it won't fit the airport liquid Policy)

- 3-4 necklaces and a bracelet or two that fit most oufits

- Mini black purse

- underwear (I might only bring 3 of each thing and wash them to save some space... I'll see)

- Travel documents/wallet

- Rain resistant jacket to be worn for travelling

- 1 long cami to sleep

I probably forgot something... I'll see tomorrow during my packing test... I'll let you know if it works or not :)

Here is a picture of the bag and what I plan on bringing. Unfortunately the colors are quite off as the black doesn't appear black at all (at least on my screen).

However, the following is NOT on the picture yet:

Toiletteries (think 1 sandwich-size ziplock bag)

underwear

1 black cami that is in the washer

1 fancy purple top that my mother borrowed for her weekend in NYC

what I will wear on the plane

SHOES!!!

the all-black top seems very basic but the back it is a low back and looks much better than on the picture... same for the shrug that looks like nothing on the picture.

Please tell me, Am I crazy? Should I just pay the luggage fee? or would YOU cruise with so minimum stuff?

1795266787_2013-10-3003_08_22.jpg.92193b3ece5970dc0d396e4be6328612.jpg

I LOVE last-minute great-deal cruises!

A few years ago DH (who had been working on his computer for hours) yelled "Want to do an English Channel five night cruise in a suite with two days in London afterwards - with air - for the cost of an obstructed ocean view? We have to leave in about an hour."

I did the whole vacation with one pair of jeans, one pair black slacks, three shirts, black sneaks, a sweater, an all-weather coat, and mascara (and undies).

You will be fine. Just keep your colors coordinated and remember to roll hand-washed clothes in a towel before you hang them to dry.

Have fun!!!

I'm about to do an 11 day med cruise, in winter, with 22 pounds of luggage fitting into approximately 21.5" x 15.75" x less than 8". No additional, purse in the luggage. So far the weight is more of a concern than the space!

I think you can do it, and likely even bring a couple of additional items. Layer for the travel...you're starting from Quebec in cooler weather, so no one will think it's odd if you're wearing a cami under a t-shirt, under a shirt, under a cardigan, under a jacket... Wear at least some of your jewellery. Remember, too, that stuff in your pockets doesn't count, so your wallet, meds, travel documents, etc. can all be on your person.

Stuff clothing into your shoes. Two items with thin fabric are better than one with heavy fabric or bumpy detailing. Chiffon is your friend.

Me, I'd bring enough panties for the whole trip, because I'd rather sleep in a cami I've already worn than do hand laundry and have my unmentionables hanging over my cabin when someone comes in to clean!

It sounds like you're really on top of it! Have fun!

I LOVE last-minute great-deal cruises!

A few years ago DH (who had been working on his computer for hours) yelled "Want to do an English Channel five night cruise in a suite with two days in London afterwards - with air - for the cost of an obstructed ocean view? We have to leave in about an hour."

I did the whole vacation with one pair of jeans, one pair black slacks, three shirts, black sneaks, a sweater, an all-weather coat, and mascara (and undies).

You will be fine. Just keep your colors coordinated and remember to roll hand-washed clothes in a towel before you hang them to dry.

Have fun!!!

One hour notice!?! WOW, that is REALLY last-minute! NICE!

I'm about to do an 11 day med cruise, in winter, with 22 pounds of luggage fitting into approximately 21.5" x 15.75" x less than 8". No additional, purse in the luggage. So far the weight is more of a concern than the space!

I think you can do it, and likely even bring a couple of additional items. Layer for the travel...you're starting from Quebec in cooler weather, so no one will think it's odd if you're wearing a cami under a t-shirt, under a shirt, under a cardigan, under a jacket... Wear at least some of your jewellery. Remember, too, that stuff in your pockets doesn't count, so your wallet, meds, travel documents, etc. can all be on your person.

Stuff clothing into your shoes. Two items with thin fabric are better than one with heavy fabric or bumpy detailing. Chiffon is your friend.

Me, I'd bring enough panties for the whole trip, because I'd rather sleep in a cami I've already worn than do hand laundry and have my unmentionables hanging over my cabin when someone comes in to clean!

It sounds like you're really on top of it! Have fun!

Thanks for the great advice and good luck with your packing challenge too!

Good morning!

No, I don't believe you are crazy :) And yes, I WOULD cruise with as few items as I possibly could, I do it all the time. You did a great job coordinating your outfits, your choices should do you for the duration of your trip.

I just received my first set of Onesole shoes in the mail Monday and OMG I never expected them to be so comfortable! I ordered the Leisure Resort/Cruise Travel kit which came with 3 tops and I also ordered a pair of blingy type strappy tops for dress up time :D

I'm now addicted...

Good job on the packing, have fun!

If you are happy with what you have put together and it works, go ahead with your plan. I think you have done an amazing job with what you have to work with. I would be tempted to squeeze in one of these tiny fold up bags and buy my toiletries (travel size) and anything else small I needed when I arrived in Miami.

I personally could never do what you are doing as I am a packaholic but thankfully living driving distance to 5 Florida ports, it isn't a consideration.:D

Good luck with it and let us know how it worked out after your trip

No, your not crazy. That looks fine for a 5 nighter. I will be doing about the same thing next month for my 5 night Fantasy cruise, with just one carry on bag. I did buy a new Lug bag with wheels and handle. It is very roomy and a pretty color also.

I will pack about the same amount, but no skirts. I will pack one long black pant. Several shorts and tee's for day. I will pair the tee's with the pant and a floaty caftan thing for evening. It's a good thing 5 nighters are less dressy than longer cruises. I will do a practice pack closer to my cruise.

I think you should do it just to it. That is...just do the carry on. Make your best guess as to what you want to wear and see how it goes. You may learn a lot about what you things you miss or don't miss at all while cruising.

Personally, I think the packing dilemma may feel more stressful on this end...but once you get on board...you may find that you appreciate not having so much to unpack/repack. And while choices are nice...I believe that having limited choices at times can be a great stress reliever. Less thinking involved.

The only thing I saw missing on your list was socks. If you do plan to wear your sneakers, socks are one of few things that I usually don't rewear between washings.

Thank you all for your support!

Not only it fits but there is lots of room to spare!!!

I might add a thing or two but I also want to bring a souvenir for my niece so I need a bit of room for that on the return.

I only changed the black capris for jeans capris.

glad of your suggestion, I added a reversible fold up bag (one side all black with a white logo and one side is a black and grey pattern... it will nicely complement casual outfits AND be useful to carry my towel, sunscreen, etc.

I even added a hat and 2 travel-size skin care products and my hair brush to the lot.

Here is a picture of the outfit I'll wear to travel. One leg shows the pants rolled down with running shoes for driving/flight and, upon arrival in Florida, I'll roll up the pants and change the running shoes for my sandals (need to feel on vacation as soon as I can :) )

I will also wear the white cardignan and a rain-resistant Wind breaker as airplaines tend to be chilly and I might need them during the cruise too.

1771228701_2013-10-3011_01_29.jpg.1373d23b0d9d2fe58e8317475686824a.jpg

I think you should do it just to it. That is...just do the carry on. Make your best guess as to what you want to wear and see how it goes. You may learn a lot about what you things you miss or don't miss at all while cruising.

Personally, I think the packing dilemma may feel more stressful on this end...but once you get on board...you may find that you appreciate not having so much to unpack/repack. And while choices are nice...I believe that having limited choices at times can be a great stress reliever. Less thinking involved.

The only thing I saw missing on your list was socks. If you do plan to wear your sneakers, socks are one of few things that I usually don't rewear between washings.

Yes, 3 pairs of ankle lenght socks packed (I don't plan on using the gym on port days so it will be enough).

I would NEVER rewear socks or panties between washing and while panties can easily be handwached and I brought the kind that dry fast, socks do not handwash very well.

Just the Geek Squad reporting in.:D Don't forget to think about electronics and chargers. My personal minimum is a phone (can also serve as a camera and handle quick e-mail review and minor web surfing), an e-book (too old to read on the phone for long) and a charger that can handle both. Everything can fit in pockets.

Just the Geek Squad reporting in.:D Don't forget to think about electronics and chargers. My personal minimum is a phone (can also serve as a camera and handle quick e-mail review and minor web surfing), an e-book (too old to read on the phone for long) and a charger that can handle both. Everything can fit in pockets.

You're right, I'll bring the phone for emergencies but I leave the Nexus 7 and laptop home... for me, a cruise is to ''unplug''

OK, I hope I'm not bugging you too much with all this... let's just say I can't talk about it very much to DBF he really doesn't care what I bring with me.

I tried every outfit to be sure it would work and took pictures. The one that surprises me the most is the dress, I found 3 way to wear it different ways. I'll post pictures but don't hesitate to read another thread if you are get tired of me :D

I mostly took the pictures with all the same shoes and tops but I have others too... just didn't feel like changing shoe tops for every picture. Please also be indulgent, not easy to take pictures myself.

First, let's go with DAY outfits

1 - Dress that could wear on top of bathing suit if going to the pool or for about any other activity Inside the ship

2 - Outfit for when I feel relax-casual :)

3 - Outfit for very active day with lots of walking in a city for example (the skirt has spandex AND underneath shorts so I don't have to worry about Wind or moving too much). Paired with the running shoes for long walks.

4 - Normal, anyday outfit for interior or exterior activities.

5 - Beach day outfit (I wear my bathing suit underneath my clothes and the bag to put my towel/sunscreen/hat).

1662198410_2013-10-3015_15_24.jpg.54a233ce8789d0465dde6496fc31c7ff.jpg

1893058276_2013-10-3015_43_13.jpg.29d6eac2990a6d0f493304640918e93c.jpg

1714887715_2013-10-3015_49_19.jpg.d56c9bb665c18faab7d6e10c1f8b6c7c.jpg

1802524663_2013-10-3016_06_19.jpg.aeb2afcfe9abfca622f89f4d1efd890b.jpg

460587207_2013-10-3016_03_14.jpg.6dd396a231122ed0a3b51cb3242e24cc.jpg

EVENING OUTFITS

(I know they arent very dressy but NCL isn't dressy, it will work IMHO... but let me know if you don't agree). On the Queen Mary 2, I was wering this type of outfits during the DAY and got all dressed up with evening dresses at night... but NCL isn't Cunard :)

1 - My dressier outfit, probably for a dinner at Le Bistro Specialty Restaurant (I can't go on a NCL cruise without dinning there once :))

2 - The most casual outfit for the evening, probably after a port day when I am more tired and will call it an early night

3 - This shirt has a low back, making it dressier than it appears

4 - I LOVE this shirt but it looks much nicer in real life, there are lots of small black ''diamonds'' over some of the black designs so it sparkles just a bit.

5 - I actually like this look, simple but elegant IMHO (I had never tried those pièces of clothing together before).

I'm wearing 3 times the same skirt though but I don't plan on eating in the same restaurant and I will let a day between each time I wear it.

And finally a few extra outfits... just in case

I will also bring a yellow shirt just in case and my sunglasses that I had forgotten to list (I might wear them at the airport if needs be).

1 - the dress with the black shirt on top, I was surprised that it worked together but it really does.

2 - if I feel very casual.

the jeans capris would work with any top really and for the gym I bring 1 pair of black shorts to be worn with whatever top I wore the previous day.

OK... thank you for being so patient with me, I have the packing-challenge disease I think and needed to talk about it ;)

1347417144_2013-10-3015_29_30.jpg.12f72d4c187033f967a2c5ce994cf425.jpg

96639089_2013-10-3016_08_52.jpg.8400fecfe2314486254606695bbc91ae.jpg

Great job & I like the variety in the outfits. I'd stick In another shirt/top only because I always spill on myself :rolleyes:

I was afraid even with the one soles they might not fit, I'm glad it did.

Enjoy your trip!

Yes, onesole are great, I love them (I have the beach medium heel kind, not the fancy high heel).

I think you are a magician getting all of those clothes into that little bag. You need to come and pack my suitcases for my next cruise!;)

Don't worry about wearing the same skirt three times. Last cruise I wore my LBD 5 out of 7 nights and changed it up with scarves and jackets.

For 5 nights I would not worry about electronics other than a phone/camera. If you want something to read, you can buy it in the airport. (I read a lot but I find I don't get much read on a ship - too much else to do.)

I think you are a magician getting all of those clothes into that little bag. You need to come and pack my suitcases for my next cruise!;)

Don't worry about wearing the same skirt three times. Last cruise I wore my LBD 5 out of 7 nights and changed it up with scarves and jackets.

For 5 nights I would not worry about electronics other than a phone/camera. If you want something to read, you can buy it in the airport. (I read a lot but I find I don't get much read on a ship - too much else to do.)

Most clothes I chose are light fabric, and I fold them then roll them. It really helps to pack small and light fabric dry faster too if I need to wash them. For undies/socks, I rolled them thight and put them in sandwich-size ziploc bags and removed the air by pressing my knee on the bag, it really makes a difference on the space they take (but don't do that with your shirts, they'll wrinkle too much).

I don't think I'll read much on a short cruise but I do when they are longer and I have more time to do everything I want.

Archived