Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
- Read thousands of Royal Caribbean Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
- Write a Royal Caribbean Cruise Review
- Find Your Royal Caribbean Roll Call
See posts about:
Adventure of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Quantum of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas

Allure of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Vision of the Seas

Anthem of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Legend of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas

Old July 16th, 2006, 01:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Family Suites or Suites for 6 people?

Has anyone here used a family suite before? I was searching the RCI website, but couldn't find out how many can sleep in one. Hard to find pricing too. It's my hubby, myself, and our 4 teens. I'm trying to decide if we should get two regular rooms, or get a suite big enough for all of us. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Robin

Old July 16th, 2006, 01:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

RCL's suites or family staterooms have a maximum occupancy of 4 (even in their largest suites). They actually allow 5 max providing the 5th passenger is under 2 years of age.
You will need to get 2 rooms for 6 people.

Old July 16th, 2006, 02:05 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by romath
Has anyone here used a family suite before? I was searching the RCI website, but couldn't find out how many can sleep in one. Hard to find pricing too. It's my hubby, myself, and our 4 teens. I'm trying to decide if we should get two regular rooms, or get a suite big enough for all of us. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Robin
I would think the problem will be the bathrooms....with 4 teens..........especially if some are girls......you will need a few.......

Jewel of the Seas, Southern Caribbean (2014)
Golden Princess, Round-trip Hawaii (LA) (2013)
Pacific Princess, Mediterranean & Adriatic (2012)
Pacific Princess, Mediterranean Collection (2012)
Island Princess, Pacific Coastal (2012)
Sapphire Princess, LA / Hawaii / Samoa / Tahiti / LA (2011)
Golden Princess, Round-trip Hawaii (LA) (2011)
Crown Princess, Greek Isles / Med + Italy (2010)
Sapphire Princess, Mexico (LA) (2010)
Royal Princess, Mediterranean + Italy (2009)
Sapphire Princess, Australia / NZ + Fiji (2007)
Golden Princess, British Isles + Scotland (2006)
Dawn Princess, Mexico (SF) (2006)
Grand Princess, Mediterranean + Italy (2005)
Tahitian Princess, Cook Island (2005)
Tahitian Princess, Marquesas Island (2005)
Zenith, Western Caribbean (2004)
Ryndam, Mexico, (2003)
Grand Princess, Eastern Caribbean (2003)
Grand Princess, Western Caribbean (2003)
Dawn Princess, San Diego to Hawaii (2003)
Dawn Princess, Tahiti to Hawaii (2002)
Dawn Princess, Hawaii to Tahiti (2002)
Royal Princess, Panama Canal (2002)
Ocean Princess, Southern Caribbean (2001)
Dawn Princess, Mexico (1991)
Golden Odyssey, Black Sea / Med (1990)
Dawn Princess, Mediterranean (1989)
Fair Sky, Alaska (1984)
Fair Sea, Panama Canal (1983)

Old July 16th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

We stayed in the royal family suite on the Serenade. There was 8 of us. Master bedroom sleeps two, second bedroom sleeps 4 (2 beds & 2 pullmans) and the sofa in the living area sleeps two. It was perfect for us.

2 bathrooms also.
02' Disney Magic
03' Rhadsody
04' Seranade - Alaska
06' Freedom (July 2nd)
08' Liberty of the seas (May 24th)
10' Grandeur of the seas (Aug)
11' Allure of the seas (Aug 7th)
14' Freedom of the seas(June 8th)
and Vegas, Bahamas(Atlantis) and Disneyworld in between

Last edited by libertybelle41; July 16th, 2006 at 02:09 AM.

Old July 16th, 2006, 02:19 AM
30,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchen0
RCL's suites or family staterooms have a maximum occupancy of 4 (even in their largest suites). They actually allow 5 max providing the 5th passenger is under 2 years of age.
You will need to get 2 rooms for 6 people.
This is incorrect. RCCL has several classes of staterooms that will hold more than 4 people. However, the maximum that can be booked online is 4 people so to book more than 4 people in a room you have to call for pricing or use a TA. The staterooms that hold more than 4 people require a minimum of 5 people to book and do not show up online.

The options are:

The Family Oceanview Stateroom which holds a maximum of 6 people, but it only has one bathroom.

The Royal Family Suite holds up to 8 people, has 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.

The Presidential Family Suite (Freedom of the Seas and Liberty of the Seas only) holds up to 14 people

Interior Family Stateroom, and Promenade Family Staterooms hold more than 4 people as well.

In addition, the Grand Suites and the Owners Suites can hold 5 people.

3/02 Sovereign of the Seas Bahamas, 5/03 Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean, 1/05 Voyager of the Seas Eastern Caribbean, 12/05 Rhapsody of the Seas Western Caribbean, 2/06 Brilliance of the Seas Partial Panama Canal(Live posts or photos), 3/06 Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean (Review or photos), 3/06 Monarch of the Seas Mexico, 2/07 Jewel of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Mustard of the Seas 1) (View photos), 1/08 Maui Trip (View photos), 5/08 Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska (trip report, photos, Compasses/Menus/Other Info, review, review with pictures), 5/09 Serenade of the Seas Alaska (View Photos), 11/09 Radiance of the Seas Mexico (View Photos), Jewel of the Seas WB TA 09/10 (Review, View Photos), 8/11 Peru & Machu Picchu (View Photos), 8/12 Colombia (View Photos), 10/12 Jewel of the Seas Canada/New England (View Photos), 2012 Christmas Markets Salzburg/Munich (View Photos), 4/13 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel (View Photos), 8/13 Ghana (View Photos-Part 1 & Part 2), 11/13 Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean (Review, View Photos), 1/14 Adventure of the Seas Southern Caribbean (View Photos)

Ad Sponsored By
Old July 16th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

We just sailed Grandeur and had the Royal Family Suite. There were 6 adults and we hand no issues at all. The suite had 2 bedrooms 2 baths and a living room area with a couch that turns intofold out bed. I have some pics posted in my Grandeur album if you care to look. The pics are titled RFS8084

Carnival - Mardi Gras - 4/87
Monarch of the Seas -7/02
Voyager of the Seas 07/05
Grandeur of the Seas 07/06
Majesty of the Seas 10/10
Enchantment of the Seas 07/11
Jewel of the Seas 04/12
Enchantment of the Seas 07/12
Celebrity Constellation 12/12
Explorer of the Seas 12/13
Explorer of the Seas 7/14

Old July 16th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you all for your replies on this. Especially to wrp96 for the detailed breakdown of the different suites. Tony, I checked your pics, thank you for posting those. I'm pretty sure we would need the two bathrooms as we have two teen girls!

Another question, I've never used a TA before and when I purchase airline or hotel online, it's always directly with who I'm buying from. From what I can gather (I'm new here) people can't recommend specific places in a post. Can people email me with recommendations of who they've used and who they like or don't like? I don't know if that's against the rules so I won't post my email yet!

Thanks again,
Robin

Old July 16th, 2006, 12:05 PM
10,000+ Club

Smile why not contact RCL directly?

if you're accustomed to and comfortable with making your own travel arrangements without a TA, why not just go straight to RCL? You may need to call them instead of doing it online...
Cindy WGIG#198-F --> "sea" my pictures HERE
Mustard of the Seas Utility Crewmember & Goodwill Ambassador - East Coast

My Cruises: Atlantic (Premier, a/k/a Big Red Boat), E Carib, Apr 93; Adventure (American Family), E Carib, June 94; Explorer of the Seas, E Carib, June 06; Jewel (Mustard) of the Seas, E Carib, Feb 07; Vision of the Seas (NUTZ 2), Mex Riviera, Oct 07; Caribbean Princess, E Carib, May 08; Carnival Ecstasy, W Carib, Sept 08; Serenade of the Seas (Mustard 2/NUTZ 3), Alaska, June 09; Jewel of the Seas, WB Transatlantic, Sept 10; Carnival Miracle, SE Carib, Nov 11; Jewel of the Seas (NUTZ 4), Canada/New England, Oct 12; Carnival Fantasy, Bahamas/Grand Turk, Nov 13; Adventure of the Seas, S Carib, Jan 14; Celebrity Summit, S Carib, Nov 14

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.” -- Isak Dinesen
Illegitimi non carborundum

Old July 16th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Had the RFS on Serenade this past Oct with myself, DH and 3 teens and we absolutely LOVED IT. I would book it again in a heartbeat. The master bed/bath is like your private mini inside cabin. You then have another bedroom and bathroom for the kids to use. The family room/sitting area was huge. There were more closets than both of my teen girls could fill so space is not an issue. PLUS you get 2 cruise C&A credits because it's a suite, plus concierge service and priorty check it. My vote would be for the RFS.

10 RCCL, 1 Carnival and 1 Holland America cruises completed - Next cruise Freedom of the Seas May 2014

Old July 16th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofingPrincess
if you're accustomed to and comfortable with making your own travel arrangements without a TA, why not just go straight to RCL? You may need to call them instead of doing it online...
From reading through the boards it appears that through a TA or certain websites we might be able to get better pricing. Because we are paying for 6 people to go, that would be very helpful to us, more money for excursions.

Robin

Old July 16th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Prices are fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by romath
From reading through the boards it appears that through a TA or certain websites we might be able to get better pricing. Because we are paying for 6 people to go, that would be very helpful to us, more money for excursions.

Robin
Travel agents (online or otherwise) are not permitted to give discounts on RCCL's cruise rates. Therefore, the price will be the same anywhere. Some TAs will give onboard credit or a free bottle of wine, etc. But before you book with any TA, I would ask these questions:

1. Do they charge a cancellation fee? You get 100 percent back if you cancel with RCCL before final payment date, but some TAs will charge you a fee if you cancel or even if you make changes to your reservation.

2. Will they honor price drops? If your cruise price drops and you've booked with RCCL, all you do is call them and they honor the price drop. Some TAs will not honor the price drops because it cuts into their commission.

If you have to book air, a travel agent will charge you a fee per person. It's best to book air on your own directly with the airline.

I personally like the idea of dealing directly with RCCL and handling my own reservation.

Also, if you choose to book with RCCL and want to book any cabin for more than four passengers, you will have to call them as you can't do it on their website.

RCCL Sun Viking - Alaskan Inside Passage - July 1991

RCCL Voyager of the Seas - E. Caribbean - Dec. 2005 Read my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=269890

RCCL Voyager of the Seas - W. Caribbean - Dec. 2006 Read my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=8644814

RCCL Enchantment of the Seas - W. Caribbean - April 2008 Read my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=760284

RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Canada/NE - July 2008 Read my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=809854

RCCL Serenade of the Seas - Alaska Sawyer Glacier - July 2009

RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Bermuda - July 2011 Read my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1443262

RCCL Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas - February 2013 Read my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1789216

RCCL Grandeur of the Seas - Bahamas - July 2013 Read my review at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=39333225#post39333225

Old July 16th, 2006, 02:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi, We have stayed on the Brilliance and Granduer in Family Suites. We have 3 girls and found that the suite is perfect for 5. 6 should do well I wouldn't try to put 8 in, that would seem a bit tight. Another option is get ajoining rooms. You can get 2 different class rooms i.e. Junior suite with a regular balcony room. Good Luck

Old July 16th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi! We are a family of 5 and found that adjoining cabin are great! The price difference was huge between a suite and two cabins. We had a balcony and the kids an oceanview and it was $1,200 less than the five of us in a suite.

Old July 16th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow, you all are so wonderful with the info you have!! I'm sooo glad I just happened upon this website. LOL I was wondering if the adjoining might end up being less. I think what I need to do now is just start calling the cruise lines to get the different pricing. There are 3 cruise lines I'm interested in, but Royal Caribbean stood out because of the Family Suite.

Thanks to all of you for your helpfulness!!
Robin

Old July 16th, 2006, 09:05 PM
50,000+ Club

And you get added privacy with 2 seperate rooms! It is a vacation, after all--privacy is a must!!!!