Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > East Coast Departures > Florida Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Florida Departures
Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami & Port Canaveral & Tampa

Old June 24th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Arrow Everglades air boat ride

Hi - Has anyone done this post-cruise excursion? It looks like the thing we'd like to do but would love to hear from anyone who has experienced it. We're debarking in Ft. Lauderdale and this excursion ends back in the airport. Thanks.

Old June 30th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Everglades

We did it between back to back cruises on the Imagination. It was a lot of fun and pretty educational. Being from the midwest, I really had no concept of the Everglades. Bring earplugs because the airboat is loud. The tour operator gives you toliet paper to stick in your ears. Go to the purser's desk and get some earplugs. I'm glad we didn't have to get on an airplane afterwards because it was a hot day and we were pretty ripe by the time we got back to the ship. I got a picture of my husband holding a small alligator. All in all, I'm glad we had the opportunity.

Old July 5th, 2004, 04:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

We just booked this tour through HAL and I must say it was fairly disappointing. The advantages are that they pick you up at the ship in a nice air conditioned bus into which you stow all your luggage. They drive you about 30 minutes into the Everglades, but keep in mind the part of the Everglades you see is only the sawgrass area. The airboat ride was kind of cool, floating along over the grass. Our tour provided earplugs (and you need them). However, alligators are nocturnal and there were few to be seen during the day. The Native American village was an absolute joke, basically a TV showing a video of a Native American under a roof like shed covered with cargo netting. The display of wildlife consisted of one area for reptiles which definately had the feel of a roadside zoo, small rather unattractive pens. The second area was worse with little cages each containing one unfortunate animal seemingly randomly displayed (for instance I don't recall Florida being the habitat of prairie dogs). On top of the mediocre nature of the tour, they beg constantly for tips and charge for any extras ($2 to take your picture with the baby alligator, $10 to pet the panther). They literally force you to have your picture taken before you board the boat hoping you'll buy that too. I would not do it again.

Old July 6th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

We did an airboat ride in Florida several years ago. We were there on a non-cruise vacation. It was definitely fun and something different to do. Perhaps look in to booking this excursion outside the cruise line to ensure a better time and cheaper prices? Negotiate with the tour operator to include free transportation from the cruise ship terminal. If they want your business they'll agree to this!

Royal Navigator 02/2015
Princess Crown 02/2013
Holland Eurodam 11/2011
Holland Oosterdam 02/2011
Carnival Conquest 11/2010
Carnival Ecstasy 04/2009
Royal Voyager 04/2008
Princess Grand 04/2007
Carnival Conquest 11/2006
Princess Golden 11/2005
Carnival Elation 05/2005
Norwegian Spirit 08/2004
Royal Voyager 11/2003
Carnival Celebration 09/2003
Princess Grand 11/2002
Celebrity Infinity 11/2001
Norwegian Sea 11/2000
Carnival Sensation 11/1998
Carnival Celebration 03/1997

Old July 6th, 2004, 02:51 PM
50,000+ Club

Airboat ride. We did this a couple of years ago and loved it. The kids (not ours) who were also on the air boat had a ball hunting the allegators and other wild life.

Old July 6th, 2004, 09:47 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool Thank you

Thanks so much for your replies. Since I just booked our flight home much later in the day, we're definitely on for this excursion. Hope we enjoy it as much as some of you did. If not, you win some and you lose some.