Are people from Martinique very tall?

nathan7

Hi, I'm Nathan from Singapore Island~~

I am going to visit Martinique because I heard that adults can grwo taller after visiting the island. :) I wonder is this true? And the average height of male in Martinique is 1.9m and for female is around 1.8m? Please tell me something about this, thanks!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nathan,

We are sorry but we may have failed in our mission to answer your question. I note that there has not been a lot of response to your post, so I will go ahead and do my best to respond to your question. We have now completed our cruise on the 11-16 to 11-26 cruise on the Queen Mary 2 from New York to the Caribbean. We were in Martinique for one day on Saturday, November 20th. We took a Craftsman tape measure and were careful to take accurate measurements of the height of each of us before we got off the ship. We tried not to be bounced around to much in the tender so as not to throw off our measurements. We did stand in the sun on the dock for a little bit while waiting for our snorkel boat to arrive, but I don't think either of us shrunk or grew during that time. While we were snorkeling, I looked at my wife underwater and thought that parts of her were bigger, but then as a certified scuba diver, I remembered that everything looks bigger under the water. In the "Famous Bat Cave," all of the bats looked so small that I thought that we might be bigger. Then I realized that the bats were just very small bats. In the afternoon, we joined another couple, Erik and Gail, for a taxi tour of the island. Our taxi driver, Vernon, took a digital picture of us with the QM2 in the background. When we viewed the picture, we both thought we had greatly shrunk, but then realized that the QM2 is so large that it made us look small. When we got back on the ship, we measured again and found that we were both exactly the same as before we got off the ship - 5'11" and 5'4". If you are looking for tall people, we would suggest the island of Manhattan. While we were in the Plaza Hotel in New York, we saw three people who seemed to be about 7"6" each. We understand they were on the NBA team from Toronto and were in town to play the Knicks. They were really tall! I did not ask them if they had ever been to Martinique. I know our testing probably would not qualify as being very scientific. We did seem to gain a few pounds while on our cruise, but I can't attribute that to Martinique as I don't remember eating anything there - however, I did have a lot of the rum punch on the snorkel boat on the way back to the pier. It was good. I hope others will keep this thread going with their own experiences as to whether they get taller in Martinique, because my unscientific testing and measurements may have been scewed by the rum.

• 1 month later...

We didn't get taller in Martinique, but my friend and I definitely got more intoxicated there, tasting the rums sold at the Dillon distillery (the closest one to Fort de France). Then we were drinking 'ti-punch in a sidewalk cafe, then tasting rums (or rhum as they call it) in a rum shop. At the pier, there was another rum shop and I made my friend buy the only bottle of Clement 1952 Rhum Vieux as it was only $60. Sixty bucks sounds like a lot? Nope, dirt cheap. Most places then (about 1998) the '52 was about $125. I was just on Antigua in December and there it was at an INCREDIBLE bargain price: $500. (not $50, but $500.) Considering that today, from the Clement On-Line distillery, a bottle of 1952 is priced at 825 Euros--and the Euro is worth about $1.30--so that bottle is now $1072.--It's good. It's really good, but NOTHING is that good! Over a grand for a bottle of....ANYTHING? You gotta be nutz!

As for taller. Nope. Not shorter, either. Maybe a bit poorer--I DID bring back a lot of interesting rums! And I HAVE sobered up since then...(hic!)

This is very distressing. My DH was so excited to read Nathan's post, since he has always been vertically challenged. When he lived in Italy his being short wasn't as noticeable, since most of the men in Italy are around his size--I think you grow shorter if you were born and raised in Italy. He was really looking forward to getting taller after we visit Martinique next week...now, having read J Cruise's and NoPiratesPlease's reports, he will be crushed and might end up even shorter, if it makes him slump his shoulders. Oh boy, I have to break this to him in just the right way....

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You all are absolutely hilarious! Wish you'd do the entertainment on my next cruise. My friends and I will be in Martinique in January and I was hoping to find excursion information but I'm excited about the prospect of growing taller:p! It might make me look thinner--I'll let you know;).

I did have a lot of the rum punch on the snorkel boat on the way back to the pier. It was good.

Ahhh, the rum punch. That must have been it. I will be sure to avoid the rum punch - a small sacrifice to gain a few more inches of height!

• 5 weeks later...

something else...measureable in centimeters.

But, I'm not gonna go there.

eh, well, I'm going to Martinique in December; but I'm not gonna go there, there.

I wish this benefit was at the beginning, instead of the end of my cruise.

But, regardless, I suppose I'll get back home looking very well......rested.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
Hi, I'm Nathan from Singapore Island~~

I am going to visit Martinique because I heard that adults can grwo taller after visiting the island. :) I wonder is this true? And the average height of male in Martinique is 1.9m and for female is around 1.8m? Please tell me something about this, thanks!!!

Nathan -

It's been almost two years since you first posted this message. Do you have an update after all this time? Or are you still doing research ?!?

• 1 month later...

West Coast,

You know we forgot all about measuring myself when we were here in January; how could we have done that? But it must be true because I was measured at a new Doctor's office and grew 1/2" while all the other doctor's have me shrinking! Let's go back!:D

• 5 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This is my first time back on this board in almost two years. I came back because I was curious about Nathan. Nathan, whatever happened to you? I thought you had a serious, scientific question, but now, I am starting to question whether you even care, or worse yet, were joking. Did you go? Did you get bigger? Did you die? Let us know.

I can promise you that I am much smarter after visiting Martinique. After visiting the headless statue of Empress Josephine, I came home and read FIVE books on the lovely and fascinating wife of Napoleon. I even corresponded with the author of a trilogy who told me that Josephine would never have influenced her husband into re-instating slavery. So, her head should be put back on;)!

I even corresponded with the author of a trilogy who told me that Josephine would never have influenced her husband into re-instating slavery. So, her head should be put back on;)!

Lynne, after that trip I came home and did a bit of research - here's what I came up with:

from: http://sebastienblache.blogspot.com/2006/05/slavery-and-martinique-island.html

Josephine married Napoleon and was crowned Empress by himself at Notre-Dame-de-Paris, as depicted in David's famous coronation painting. She is also rumoured to have played an influential role in Napoleon 's reinstating of slavery in 1802. In fact, she played none and monetary and financial motives were very prominent indeed. Furthermore, slavery was never really abolished in effect in Martinique. However this rumour has lasted in Martinique: her statue in Fort-de-France is headless - a reminder of the guillotine during the French Revolution, and the proof of a tenacious rumour.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

no one appears to have been here for quite some time. it has been months since anyone posted. i wondered if anyone was carrying on the research. i would like to be a few inches taller. so we are going to martinique, but not for a while. if anyone does get taller, while there, please post here and let the rest of us know. thanks, lauri

I've lived most of my life on Barbados

(where we eventually grow shorter,

but that's Old Age spinal compression, squished vertebral discs,etc.).

Twice now, I've visited Martinique (many years ago)

first time I stayed 3 wks. - the last time just for a long weekend.

I thought I'd grown taller after the visits,

but now that Old Age onset is reversing the trend,

I'm worrying that maybe I should schedule another visit soon!

Also, I hear there's a shop in a seedy little back street,

where a tall dark African guy will stretch you a centimetre or two

on a leftover RACK machine (Inquisition,etc.)

but it'll cost ya close on 100 Francs for the 15 minute session!

beauty is quite painful, isn't it?

please send me the guy's shack directions so i can get another 4 inches or so.

then i can reach the cabinets in the kitchen in addition to being closer to the appropriate bmi.

It's cheaper you buy an around-the-house stepstool from CostCo!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...