Who cruises with a scooter and walker?

Rwethereyet2

I'm a walking SCI quad. I'm 68. My endurance and ability to walk fluctuates dramatically depending on distance, previous days activity and sometimes no reason at all. So, i use different mobility devices depending on the day and activity. Around the house I wall walk a few steps. Distances of 30 to 60 feet I use a cane, small store distances I use a rollator walker, large box store, grocery shopping (walmart etc) I use a scooter.

I'm taking my first cruise with my scooter in October, but i'm also thinking of taking my walker. I'm worried that I will loose the little strength I have if don't have the walker to exercise my legs during the cruise. The little walking I can do with my cane isn't enough exercise. I cruised with my walker last time, but the distance on the ship was too great for me to go end to end without exhaustion and frequent rests, thus the scooter this time. I have booked a handicapped mini suite for the cruise, so storing both won't be a problem, but I'm wondering how to get both devices on the ship.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has taken multiple devices on board, or know someone who has. Sorry for the long post.

Due to having MS I too use different mobility aids depending on the situation and do so when cruising as well.

I bring my 4 wheel seated rollator as well a cane and use wheelchair assistance both at the airport and embarking/disembarking the ship. Do not bring my personal mobility scooter as do not want it damaged by the airlines. However I rent a mobility scooter to be delivered to the cruise ship. Depending on the port of call I have at times had the scooter delivered pre-cruise to the hotel. Because the one I rent from Care Vacations is the same scooter as I own I know how to break down to fit into a the back of a non-accessible van or standard taxi

When cruising out of New Orleans I stay at one of the hotels along Convention Blvd close to the port and than just strap the walker securely on the back of the scooter and ride the scooter directly over to the pier.

Because I'm using the scooter on board ship more than when at home, I never go to bed until I've walked up and down the hallway several times with my rollator so that the legs don't stiffen up . The cane is use to assist with transferring from the scooter to chair especially in the dining rooms .

Bringing several pieces of mobility equipment is more the norm than you may think.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Due to having MS I too use different mobility aids depending on the situation and do so when cruising as well.

I bring my 4 wheel seated rollator as well a cane and use wheelchair assistance both at the airport and embarking/disembarking the ship. Do not bring my personal mobility scooter as do not want it damaged by the airlines. However I rent a mobility scooter to be delivered to the cruise ship. Depending on the port of call I have at times had the scooter delivered pre-cruise to the hotel. Because the one I rent from Care Vacations is the same scooter as I own I know how to break down to fit into a the back of a non-accessible van or standard taxi

When cruising out of New Orleans I stay at one of the hotels along Convention Blvd close to the port and than just strap the walker securely on the back of the scooter and ride the scooter directly over to the pier.

Because I'm using the scooter on board ship more than when at home, I never go to bed until I've walked up and down the hallway several times with my rollator so that the legs don't stiffen up . The cane is use to assist with transferring from the scooter to chair especially in the dining rooms .

Bringing several pieces of mobility equipment is more the norm than you may think.

Totally agree. While I am not disabled, from my experience with embarking and disembarking those with mobility aids, I'd just like to say this. Rent the scooter from the cruise line's provider and it will be waiting for you onboard, and you just leave it onboard. Use your rollator to get to the HC check-in area, and the crew will take over with a wheelchair for check-in and boarding (some of the gangways are way too steep for a scooter). Have your companion push the rollator (good place to put the carry-ons) behind you. Follow this for disembarkation as well.

Use of multiple mobility aids is very sensible, and doable.

I'm a walking SCI quad. I'm 68. My endurance and ability to walk fluctuates dramatically depending on distance, previous days activity and sometimes no reason at all. So, i use different mobility devices depending on the day and activity. Around the house I wall walk a few steps. Distances of 30 to 60 feet I use a cane, small store distances I use a rollator walker, large box store, grocery shopping (walmart etc) I use a scooter.

I'm taking my first cruise with my scooter in October, but i'm also thinking of taking my walker. I'm worried that I will loose the little strength I have if don't have the walker to exercise my legs during the cruise. The little walking I can do with my cane isn't enough exercise. I cruised with my walker last time, but the distance on the ship was too great for me to go end to end without exhaustion and frequent rests, thus the scooter this time. I have booked a handicapped mini suite for the cruise, so storing both won't be a problem, but I'm wondering how to get both devices on the ship.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has taken multiple devices on board, or know someone who has. Sorry for the long post.

Hi there, I think it's great that you don't let your disability stop you from enjoying your life!! To improvise is to succeed and survive, right?:)

....Do not bring my personal mobility scooter as do not want it damaged by the airlines. However I rent a mobility scooter to be delivered to the cruise ship...Bringing several pieces of mobility equipment is more the norm than you may think.

Interesting point, we take our personal scooter everywhere:) Never even thought of the airlines damaging it. So far, they've been really good and very careful. Besides, if they damage it, they replace it!!

We also use cane to ambulate around the ship and anywhere of short distance. However, getting around the ship is a whole other adventure. My DH and I share my personal scooter. He even installed a small platform in the back so he (or I) can hop on in the back for a short ride:D

Interesting point, we take our personal scooter everywhere:) Never even thought of the airlines damaging it. So far, they've been really good and very careful. Besides, if they damage it, they replace it!!

For the record the airlines more often than not only repairs the damaged scooter and not replace it.

For the record the airlines more often than not only repairs the damaged scooter and not replace it.

Thanks for clarifying that. Obviously, a replacement is warranted only when the scooter is irreparable.[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I have a dilemma with my disability. We have booked 34 night cruise on Norwegian Sun and have a regular cabin. My question is this, in June we went on the Pride of America and took my wheelchair for the first time and had a problem storing it in the cabin. I try when possible not to use it, but found in June that I got to see more by going out with The husband supplying the 'engine' power. I do not want to take the Disabled cabin from anyone more needy than I, but the thought of having more room and better bathroom for my needs is compelling. I can walk around the cabin with my stick and some days venture out with just that. Other days, such as the June cruise, the wheelchair was used constantly. Do I morally qualify for a disabled cabin do you think? Or should I just battle through?:confused:

I have a dilemma with my disability. We have booked 34 night cruise on Norwegian Sun and have a regular cabin. My question is this, in June we went on the Pride of America and took my wheelchair for the first time and had a problem storing it in the cabin. I try when possible not to use it, but found in June that I got to see more by going out with The husband supplying the 'engine' power. I do not want to take the Disabled cabin from anyone more needy than I, but the thought of having more room and better bathroom for my needs is compelling. I can walk around the cabin with my stick and some days venture out with just that. Other days, such as the June cruise, the wheelchair was used constantly. Do I morally qualify for a disabled cabin do you think? Or should I just battle through?:confused:

Probably there will be a variety of opinions on your question, this response is my opinion. There are multiple levels of disability, the handicapped cabin provides room for your chair and also access to the balcony in your chair, level entry into a shower with hand rails, a secure shower seat, lower set shower knobs and hand held shower, hand rails around the toilet and room to transfer. Lower light switches, key entry etc. i don't believe you need to require all of these adaptations to qualify for a handicapped room. If this room provides for your safety and ability to perform your daily routines and enhances your mobility, you have a right to use one of these rooms

• 2 weeks later...

I went through this same questioning this year. In the past few cruises I used a Tzora scooter which folded up so it didn't take up much room in the cabin and I didn't need to use it on board. I requested a shower stool so I could sit down. Because I could manage in a regular cabin I did not feel comfortable requesting a HC cabin.

This year we had our cabin booked when I realized that I needed to switch to a full size scooter and would need to use it on board as well. I contacted my TA to change to a HC cabin. It was a difficult decision but I knew that if I wanted to continue cruising it is the cabin which I will need to book. You know your restrictions and if you need a HC cabin to enjoy your cruise, you need to book one and not feel guilty about it.

I went through this same questioning this year. In the past few cruises I used a Tzora scooter which folded up so it didn't take up much room in the cabin and I didn't need to use it on board. I requested a shower stool so I could sit down. Because I could manage in a regular cabin I did not feel comfortable requesting a HC cabin.

This year we had our cabin booked when I realized that I needed to switch to a full size scooter and would need to use it on board as well. I contacted my TA to change to a HC cabin. It was a difficult decision but I knew that if I wanted to continue cruising it is the cabin which I will need to book. You know your restrictions and if you need a HC cabin to enjoy your cruise, you need to book one and not feel guilty about it.

I traveled in Jan. on RCCL Quantum. We had a non-HC balcony cabin. I had my Pride Go Go Elite Traveller Scooter and storing it in the room was no problem at all. (Of course, that scooter is pretty small, and others can be quite large.) I don't think there was anything special about the cabin's configuration or size. I guess it depends on one's tolerance for a minor obstruction. I will be going one step further in a couple weeks: We're sailing on RCCL Liberty of The Seas, in a non-HC balcony cabin. However, this time I'm renting a collapsible wheelchair (necessary for certain excursions) and taking my scooter as well. Hopefully, wife and I won't be bumping into each other! :eek: Actually, it shouldn't be a problem - we'll be out and about most of the time.

Edited by Jersey Cruisers
added a line about scooter size

Thank you all for your input. I have decided to stay in a normal balcony cabin for this cruise as I will not be taking my travel scooter, only the wheelchair. The cruise is 34 nights and Hubby is quite happy to lift the wheelchair over any obstacles to store it. As stated above, I also would prefer to continue travelling as long as possible despite my disability. Happy cruising everyone:)

• 2 weeks later...

My last 2 cruises I took a wheelchair. Actually its called a transfer chair. Someone needs to push it. When folded it really was not in the way in our cabin. But on our next cruise I'll be using a scooter and I wonder about the handicapped cabin too. Scooters will not fit thru all cabin doors and the HC cabins have wider doorways.

We take my scooter from home and either a walker or a manual wheelchair. I ride the scooter at embarkation and DH pushes the other with carryons and/or other supplies. That way he can park it and give me a hand if I need it going up the gangway. I used to book regular cabins but it got to be too difficult to climb over the step to the bathroom and into shower. When we were flush and booked a mini suite on Princess, I was in trouble when there was only a tub with a shower. That whole trip I had to sit on edge of tub and sponge bathe for the duration. Now, I book accessible cabins. I think one should book the cabin that accommodates your needs. Oh, I also take two folding canes for use in the cabin. I, too, have a Pride Go Go Elite Scooter and it did fit in a regular cabin. It was easily gotten around and the folding chair or walker fit behind the curtain or in the closet. Have fun and be comfortable.