Luxury Cruises to the Mediterranean

LauraS

What is your definition of luxury? Several of the lines mentioned I would not consider luxury - and I have sailed on them.

Unfortunately, you cannot go by this board when defining luxury cruise lines. They routinely include lines like Oceania, Azamara etc, which clearly are not luxury.

• 2 months later...
My husband and I looking for a luxury line to the Meditterian. My criteria is a larger ship as I get seasick, and longer times in ports. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Can you be more specific? What is your definition of a larger ship? And what is your definition of longer time in ports?

I'm pretty sure that you can still get seasick on large ships. As you may know, luxury ships (by my definition....... Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea) are not large ships -- all around 400 - 1,000 passengers. Regent's Mariner felt more stable to me that a ship almost twice her size.

If you want to avoid seasickness, select a cabin that is low and mid-ship. Generally, when we leave Florida (Miami or Ft. Lauderdale), the first night is the roughest. I take 1/2 of a seasickness pill - just in case and have been fine.

In any case, do some research on the luxury line CC boards. Some luxury lines offer more than others. Not all include airfare, even fewer include excursions. Check out the smoking policies as well. You may not want to be on your balcony when someone next to you is smoking. IMO, you can have a great cruise on these four cruise lines but only you can decide which suits you best.