Sea review -just back

LMS

We just returned from the Texaribbean cruise on the Sea and thought I would post a quick review. It was a great trip -our best overall cruise so far (out of 5). The embarkation was the easiest and the express debarkation was great. We were off the ship by 8:00am. The ship itself is very clean -a little worn in spots (like carpeting, etc) but well maintained. The crew was very friendly and the weather was perfect! There was a some rattling on the ship (as mentioned in previous reviews) but it was only 1 night in the Seven Seas dining room. The food was very good. We did not care for most of the shows, but they were simply not our tastes. The comedian and the magician were good. The rooms were small, but we were comfortable enough and there were 4 of us in one room. I would give the ship a B+.

The ports of call were great -each day was better than the one before. In Cozumel we took a taxi to Chankanaab and snorkled/beached it. Then went into town for shopping. ($10 each way for the cab, $12 pp for the park)

In Roatan we did the Canopy/Tabyana Beach tour. It was awesome! Worth the $89 each. In Belize we used Coral Breeze for cave tubing. We had originally planned to do the shark ray alley, but changed our minds. They were very agreeable to this. We had an excellent guide named Carlos who made us feel very comfortable and welcome in his country. He talked about Belize and we learned a lot! The meal we had was a favorite of the week -don't know why this company ever had negative reviews, but I can't imagine a better tour. In Cancun (yes, we made the port) the water was incredible. We did the Jungle Speedboat tour through the ship -again it was worth it. We ended up on the afternoon tour which gave us time to shop and swim at the nice beaches by the dock. The boats were a blast and the snorkling stop was the best of the week. The national park was amazing. Over all I have to give this trip an A- (only because nothing is an A!). I would go again in a heartbeat!

LMS, sounds like we did some of the same things. I thought the food was very good, better than what i expected. We did Chankanaab by taxi and also Tabyana, the snorkeling was incredible for being right off the beach. We did the cave tubing and had lunch inside the Jaguar Paw resort. Overall had a great time,even won a little money at bingo!

It was a great week. We traveled with 4 kids and hubby and I in 3 cabins on the 3rd floor aft. It was very noisy and vibrating but I liked it that way. The weather was great and the ports were awesome. From our experience traveling with kids, bring wide mouth water bottles to fill up with water for leaving into ports or to be able to drink anything other than tea, water and milk. They only offer juice in the morning, so we filled up bottles to have throughout the day. We did buy the soda wrist bands for the younger ones, but I didn't want them drinking soda all day. Also there are two different buffet areas in the Big Apple. The one on the right side (as you face the front) had better choices for kids. The smallness of the ship was a plus because we often had the opportunity to see and get to know others on the ship and it was easy to find our kids. We snorkeled at Dzul-Ha and then went to Paradise Beach in Cozumel. Paradise was the favorite beach of the cruise. It was entertaining for the kids and relaxing for us. We did the canopy/tabyana beach tour through the ship in Roatan (expensive but worth it). We pre-booked with Coral Breeze to shark-ray alley, and it was awesome. In Cancun we parasailed and rented a waverunner. A must do if you have never done it. That was done right where the tender docked and it was beautiful. That's my brief overview. Feel free to ask any other questions.

Thanks for posting your reviews guys. We leave on Friday and I can't wait. I have not started packing however, and really need to get on that.

Anyone up for questions?

Did you bring your own beach towels, or use the ships, were there enough if you did?

Was it hard to get off the ship early at the ports?

Were any of the shows, esp the comedian or the magician appropriate for children? They probably won't want to go, but just owndering if it's an option.

Can kids younger then 12 do the canopy tour if we do a solo trip, not an excursion through the ship.

Did your kids like room service? My daughter is freaking out that they don't have cheeseburgers or chicken nuggets.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the review.

My wife and I are leaving May 14th on the Sea. We plan on the submarine excursion in Cozumel and the mayan ruins of Xanantunich (El Castillo) in Belize. Has anyone tried these? Any recommendations?

The anniversary package at $79 was recommended and sounds like it is a reasonable deal. We will be celebrating our 25th.

Beach Towels - use the ships. You sign them out in the morning and return them once back on the ship.

No problem getting off the ship - just make sure you go to where they say to go and at what time to be there to pick up your tender tickets. It's all done by number so they'll call numbers 1 - 100 to head down to the tender.

Show - yes the kids can go. My son is 11 and he came to the shows.

Cannot not answer the canopy tour question.

My kids did not use the room service menu but other kids in our group did. They had burgers and pizza's on the menu. You may have to ask for the room service menu. It is not posted in the cabins - only the morning one is.

Also - in the dining rooms at night, if the kids do not like anything on the menu, ask for a kids menu or the room service menu. They are very accomodating.

Enjoy your trip.

We took 2 twelve-packs of Pepsi aboard. Just carried it on in a plastic bag from the grocery. $28 is a LOT of pop. We had some left and we have 2 teenagers. We also packed a bottle of champagne and some vodka. It was obvious that they saw it because it was unwrapped, but no one said anything.

answers to questions:#1 We got our blue towels the night before from the pool area, (actually we grabbed plenty extra the first day at sea and put them in our cabin) we did this because of worry that should a towel be missplaced, we would be charged. This way you do not have to check them out or wait in line to get them. Do not take the striped pool towels but the plain blue ones. They use them after the striped ones are gone.

#2 getting off early: We had to get off early in Belize as we had a tour booked with Coral Breeze. We told the shore excursion people and they had us wait with the ships booked early tours and we were able to get the 2nd tender off and it was plenty of time. In Cancun it was hurry up and wait, the tender was big but they wanted it full before it left. Getting off for the tour in Roatan knowing what I know now, we would not have waited for our tour to be called. You just get off the ship and go to one of several busses anyway.

#3 My kids are 10, 12, 13 and 16. The comedian and magician Sam and Harry were their favorite shows. The magician in particular. The production shows did not hold their attention so we only went once.

#4 We all did the canopy tour through the ship. I don't believe you can do the canopy tour independent of the ship unless you do the one on the other side of Roatan. We did the ships tour because of the snorkeling at Tabyana. Our 10 year old had no problem doing the canopy.

#4 My 13 and 16 year olds were the only ones using room service and they seemed to like it. Order the brownies. There are cheeseburgers in the Big Apple (yuk) and pretty regularly at the grill by the pool. Also in the dining room kid menu order the onion rings (they come with fries) these were a hit with all of us.

Thanks for the review.

My wife and I are leaving May 14th on the Sea. We plan on the submarine excursion in Cozumel and the mayan ruins of Xanantunich (El Castillo) in Belize. Has anyone tried these? Any recommendations?

The anniversary package at $79 was recommended and sounds like it is a reasonable deal. We will be celebrating our 25th.

2bner,

I have done the submarine excursion but in St.Thomas and it was great (I believe it's the same company), Cozumel is wonderful so there should be plenty of things for them to show you on the sub. We also did the ruins in Belize (Xanantunich) and that was GREAT ! ! ! It is a long drive and takes most of your port time but I am glad we did it. You can climb all the way up to the top of the big temple and the view is incredible. Enjoy.

Chris

We are on the May 21st sailing of the Sea. We have already booked the canopy tour. My husband and I took a canopy tour in Jamaica and loved it. We are taking our 3 kids on the one in Roatan. We can't wait!!!! This is our 1st cruise and I am sooooo excited. We are doing the ruins tour in Cancun, anyone ever done that? Also, what about the snorkel and treasure hunt excursion in Cozumel? Right now we are just booked for the snorkel adventure, but considering changing it to the treasure hunt.

It REALLY nice to hear the good reviews, some of the postings had me a little worried!!!!!

Archived