Need a Pearl Harbor tour company for 1/20/17

sue1219ran

If you search this forum there are many discussions about independently visiting Pearl Harbor.

You can go to the Arizona's National Park website to pre reserve a tender ticket (small fee or if soldout you can arrive early to get a walk up ticket) to the Arizona Memorial. A cab is about $35 each way or you could do like us & use their great public transportation system The Bus to go there for $2.50 ($1 senior rate) o/w.

You can go to their website or search Google Maps for bus options to Pearl Harbor.

http://www.thebus.org

From there you could also go to the battleship USS Missouri where the Japanese surrendered or to the aviation museum...both are located on Ford Island.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Totally agree with Astro Flyer. Have been to Pearl 3 times, never have used a tour company. Just look down the board for lots of info.

Commonly recommended here to cab over. Bus would be my second choice, as your time is limited.

Once you get there, everything is available to you- Memorial, sub, Missouri, Museum. Transport between all (where needed)is provided.

No need for a tour company or guide.

Totally agree with Astro Flyer. Have been to Pearl 3 times, never have used a tour company. Just look down the board for lots of info.

Commonly recommended here to cab over. Bus would be my second choice, as your time is limited.

Once you get there, everything is available to you- Memorial, sub, Missouri, Museum. Transport between all (where needed)is provided.

No need for a tour company or guide.

We've taken The Bus both ways but agree that a cab to PH is the best option & then maybe The Bus back to the ship.

That allowed me to return to the ship while my wife went to the Ala Moana shopping center before returning to the ship. It probably would have been cheaper for both of us to return together by cab without her shopping detour. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

We've taken The Bus both ways but agree that a cab to PH is the best option & then maybe The Bus back to the ship.

That allowed me to return to the ship while my wife went to the Ala Moana shopping center before returning to the ship. It probably would have been cheaper for both of us to return together by cab without her shopping detour. ;)

You could have told her that bus doesn't go by the Alaska Moana Center...:D:D;)

We bought our tickets online. http://Www.recreation.gov is the website. We purchased Passport to Pearl Harbor which enables us to go to all areas . We were allocated a time to visit the USS Arizona we will plan the rest of the tour around that tour. Last time we went with our children we had at least a 2 hour wait for Arizona with no guarantee we would be able to see it ,which we didn't. . This time we decided to pre book so we didn't miss out. We will catch a taxi to get there. After the research I did this was the best option .

We bought our tickets online. http://Www.recreation.gov is the website. We purchased Passport to Pearl Harbor which enables us to go to all areas . We were allocated a time to visit the USS Arizona we will plan the rest of the tour around that tour. Last time we went with our children we had at least a 2 hour wait for Arizona with no guarantee we would be able to see it ,which we didn't. . This time we decided to pre book so we didn't miss out. We will catch a taxi to get there. After the research I did this was the best option .

Good info & here's the info about booking tickets in advance:

The 60-day window: You can make reservations up to two months in advance. So on April 10, you can make a reservation for as far in advance as June 10. Tickets can be reserved online here, or over the phone by calling 1-877-444-6777 (international: 518-885-3639)

The 24-hour window: If you've tried to reserve tickets but found that none are available for the day and time you want to visit, log back onto recreation.gov on the day before your visit. Every day, recreation.gov releases a certain number of "next day" tickets, beginning at 7:00 a.m. HST. For example, if you want to visit on January 13, you can check for availability starting at 7:00 a.m. HST on January 12.

Edited by Astro Flyer

We just got back from Hawaii and used Discover Hawaii Tours for a tour to Pearl Harbor. They picked us up from our hotel in Waikiki at 6:15am. They also facilitated getting the tickets for us. Our tour to the Arizona was at 9am, so we had about two hours to check out the museums, gift shop, etc. Our tour was a Pearl Harbor/Swap Meet combo tour, so we spent two hours at the Swap Meet after our tour from about 11am-1pm. On our way back to Waikiki, we stopped outside Iolani Palace for photos and would have stopped at Punch Bowl Cemetery but it was closed for an event. We got back around 4pm - long day.

I recommend the company, but was not impressed by the Swap Meet and felt the tour was too long for our taste. I know they have a different tour that does both the Arizona and Missouri, not sure if they have just an Arizona one. But that's what I would do.

• 2 weeks later...

Roberts of Hawaii has a Pearl Harbor and city tour available that day - here is the link to their offerings for your sailing: http://www.rhshorex.com/activities_schedule_all.php

We used Roberts for several tours while in Hawaii a few years ago, and were very pleased. We did not take this particular tour with them, but I would have every confidence that it would be as good as the other tours we did take.

• 11 months later...