Houston to Galveston on Feb 23

we-luv2travel4

I haven't decided which airport yet. Trying to figure out best way economically to get from Houston to Galveston. We will fly in a day early-stay overnight in Galveston and board ship on the 23rd. Any tips would be appreciated-such as shuttle-busses-taxis-limos or rent a car?

Confused traveler.

You'll get the best info from the Gulf Coast Departures board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

And don't forget to join your Roll Call

Ditto on joining your roll call, it is easy to find others who are flying in on the same day as you or looking to rideshare from a particular hotel or airport. If you can not find a group to join then start a group on your own. happy cruising

After researching prices etc. We have decided to fly in the day of the cruise, the 23rd. Now I need to know if it is better to take the cruise shuttle or hire a limo? I read that Lady Bird Limo service is good but would like to share a ride with another couple. I have not booked flights yet but will try to arrive at either Hobby or IAH around 12:00 to 1:00 PM. Flying in from Denver. Anybody interested?

We've cruised 10+ times before.

Anybody interested?

I just noticed you plan to fly from Denver (in February!!!!) on the day of your cruise. With plans to land at 1 pm, an hour from port, with an all aboard time of 3 pm, that is just too close. The itinerary has 2 sea days at the beginning of the cruise too. Basically, if there are any delays, you'll miss your ship. You should fly in the day before, at a minimum.

You're really cutting it close ... but if you must, first and foremost, fly Southwest into Hobby ... it's around an hour from the Galveston terminal, and several reliable shuttle services are available. Go to http://www.galveston.com and you'll be able to reserve one. Bush Intercontinental is 90 minutes to two hours from the port, and you'll pay at least $100 per person each way for transportation. I think the cruise line transfers run around $60, but you probably won't catch a flight that will connect with the bus.

Then again, you're leaving from Denver in February ... yikes!

I just noticed you plan to fly from Denver (in February!!!!) on the day of your cruise. With plans to land at 1 pm, an hour from port, with an all aboard time of 3 pm, that is just too close. The itinerary has 2 sea days at the beginning of the cruise too. Basically, if there are any delays, you'll miss your ship. You should fly in the day before, at a minimum.

I agree! I am on that cruise & the roll call has lots of good info & people from that area. Keep in mind too that Galveston's Mardi Gras is during that time & traffic is likely to be even worse. You really should fly in the day before as you originally planned!!

OP, not to pile on here but, do you understand how far IAH is from Galveston? If you land at 1pm you will NOT make it to the ship by 3pm. (you will struggle to make it by 4pm if we are being honest). Taking weather delays out of it. Land at 1pm...deplane....trek through terminal C (assuming United coming from Denver as it is a United hub as is Houston)....wait for luggage (hoping it all makes it).....proceed to ground transportation.........begin the 1.5-2 hr drive to the island (assuming no traffic delays...which with the nonstop endless road work in Houston isn't going to happen).

I would seriously consider flying in a day before if at all possible (or take a red eye and get into houston at o'dark early and at least give yourself extra time to make it to the island.) Houston is not like Miami or Tampa where the airport is just a short hop to the port.

Frontier also flies from DEN to IAH, but the first one doesn't even leave Denver until mid-afternoon, and there are no flights on the 22nd ... so United it is. As others (including myself) have already intimated, unless you fly Southwest to Hobby, there is no chance that you'll be able to get to the port in time.

To all you cruisers,

Thx 4 all of your input. We will fly in on the 22nd -preferably to Hbbby - get a room and go to ship on 23rd. Thx again for all the input.

Wes

I'm glad we could help. Southwest has many daily flights to Hobby, since it's a major hub. You shouldn't have a problem getting a nonstop. We have family in Denver, and make the trip several times a year ... never had an issue. Enjoy your cruise!

Al

Archived