Transatlantic chart & model

snowbell55

Hello everyone!

In doing a bit of reading about the Queen Mary 2 it seems that at some point a chart has been sold that allows you to track your route on the crossing here (picture courtesy of Artemis).

Can anyone describe these in more detail? Are they still available, how much are they, and how big are they? Does anyone have pictures?

Also, supposedly there are models of the ship on sale in the bookshop. How big are these models, and are they the kind that you assemble yourself, or are they already preassembled? In addition, how much are they? Finally, does anyone have any pictures?

Thank you all :).

... Also, supposedly there are models of the ship on sale in the bookshop. How big are these models, and are they the kind that you assemble yourself, or are they already preassembled? ...
They used to sell crudely painted, highly inaccurate (for example, the model had an extra pool on deck 13, and other mistakes) small resin models of QM2 in the logo shop. I can't remember the charge, but they'd be overpriced at $1. Sadly I've not seen better models for sale on board.

You'd be better off looking online for accurate models, they are available in several sizes, both DIY and assembled (which tend to be expensive).

Hope this helps :) .

They used to sell crudely painted, highly inaccurate (for example, the model had an extra pool on deck 13, and other mistakes) small resin models of QM2 in the logo shop. I can't remember the charge, but they'd be overpriced at $1. Sadly I've not seen better models for sale on board.

You'd be better off looking online for accurate models, they are available in several sizes, both DIY and assembled (which tend to be expensive).

Hope this helps :) .

$20 I believe. I'm looking at it right now...:p

Thank you all for the responses - really does seem like the onboard model isn't worth consideration.

Does anyone know more about the chart?

You can buy a chart in the bookshop. It comes rolled up in a tube. I did enquire about the price but forget how much now. I think it was at least $25.

The chart to which you refer is the British Admiralty chart 4011: North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part, which covers the routing we will take. It is available from any number of boating suppliers online, as well as Amazon, for anywhere from $40 to $60. Just Google "4011 north atlantic chart," and you can also see some low-resolution partial images there as well. Be forewarned that it is quite large, maybe two feet by three feet.

BTW, I have a free iPad app which tracks QM2, called Boat Watch.

Edited by rsquare

The chart to which you refer is the British Admiralty chart 4011: North Atlantic Ocean - Northern Part, which covers the routing we will take. It is available from any number of boating suppliers online, as well as Amazon, for anywhere from $40 to $60. Just Google "4011 north atlantic chart," and you can also see some low-resolution partial images there as well. Be forewarned that it is quite large, maybe two feet by three feet.

BTW, I have a free iPad app which tracks QM2, called Boat Watch.

But what's the point? I'm sure you can buy it at some nautical shop on New Jersey , even at target LOL

This is all about ones voyage and the route the QM2 sailed .

You can't buy that. It's part of the joy of ones voyage !!!!

At the end of the voyage the official chart will be auctioned to raise money for the Prince's Trust. I have never bid on it and have no idea what it goes for.

On our last Cunard voyage, the chart was auctioned off for 200£. Usually everything is auctioned in dollars, but Lord Jeffrey Archer was the auctioneer and he auctioned it in pounds.

On our last long Princess cruise the chart went for $1,700.00.

But what's the point? I'm sure you can buy it at some nautical shop on New Jersey , even at target LOL

This is all about ones voyage and the route the QM2 sailed .

You can't buy that. It's part of the joy of ones voyage !!!!

All you need is the latitude and longitude coordinates at noon each day, which you can get on the ship. Mount the chart, put in map pins, and you have a record of your voyage. I think that's all you'll get from the Ocean Bookshop; I don't think that on the last day they have time to pin these maps for you.

Of course by purchasing the on-board chart it is usually signed by several of the Bridge Officers and crew. It isn't the actual chart used but merely has the track and course transcribed onto it at some stage prior to the auction. It is possibly a nice memento of a crossing and the funds raised do go to a very laudable cause.

Thank you all for the replies. They've been extremely helpful... Wasn't expecting the chart to be as big as it is...

The big chart is the one that is auctioned off. The ones for sale in the bookshop rolled up in plastic tube is not as big.

At the end of the voyage the official chart will be auctioned to raise money for the Prince's Trust. I have never bid on it and have no idea what it goes for.

The chart on the Christmas cruise in Dec 2012 went for about $750. The winter Jan TA chart went for about $500 if I remember.

I won the bid for one half of my Med cruise last July. It will be worth framing some day and I was able to donate to the Trust.