Personal Listening Devices

rothbury

I apologize in advance but I can't find the thread that dealt with the personal listening devices that you wear when on tours. I know they have a name. I can't find it though.

Anyway, for my question. We are taking a Viking cruise in a few months. I know they provide these devices so the tour guides can inform you as to what you are looking at. I wear hearing aids. Can anybody enlighten me as to whether these devices have in the ear (like earbuds) or over the ear (like headphones) type speakers? Also, is it the standard 1/8" plug for most electronics? I may have to get creative at Radio Shack to come up with something so that I won't have to pull my hearing aid every time we take a tour. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

We were on Viking last fall and they definitely went somewhat into your ear - not quite like earbuds but not the over-the-ear foam version. They are shaped like a "C" that wraps around the top/back of your ear and the little bud part lines up with your ear canal. Not sure if you can envision that from my description :o

I would think you would definitely need to have an alternative though but maybe Viking provides a different style if that's necessary? Hopefully someone will post that can tell you about the size of the plug - my vague memory says it's that standard size but I'd hate to tell you wrong.

There was a previous thread about the "QuietVox" and someone asked about wearing aids. One person answered that he wears aids and removed the one from the ear that would be using the device and it worked fine. He said the volume control worked very well. I hope others will respond because my husband is getting hearing aids and we'll be going on Viking soon after.

The Whispers that we have used have had only 1 ear plug, so perhaps you could use your aid in one ear and the Whisper in the other?

Or continue to use your hearing aids and stand close to the tour guide. I have traveled with several people that have done this and it works great for them.

No use trying to juggle ear pieces and using a Whisper if you can stand close.

This is what the Uniworld Cruise Companion says. Not sure if it would be the same on Viking, but it might be worth checking on in advance.

Uniworld is proud to use Quietvox portable audio headset systems on shore tours, so that you will always be able to hear your local expert’s commentary with ease and comfort. Connection to the local expert’s transmitter takes about 40 seconds, so if you do not hear the guide straight away, please be patient. The Quietvox system can be used with hearing aids that are compatible with a telecoil induction loop. All you need to do is to replace the regular Quietvox earpiece with the telecoil, which we provide onboard the ship. We have a limited number of telecoil induction loops available onboard, so please inquire with the Cruise Manager once you are on the ship.

Thank everybody for getting back with me on this. I'm a little nervous to pull the hearing aid and stick it in my pocket. They aren't very big and I would worry about losing it. I think the best thing might just be to call Viking and ask them directly. Seems to be a couple of options. All hearing aids in the past 10 years or so are required to have tele-coil technology. At least in the US. If Viking has this technology that would be the answer.

Again, thanks for your replies.

Just FYI for those who don't wear aids. With all of the digital technology they use now a set of aids cost about what this trip will cost. Thus, the fear of losing one.