Inside Edition - Woman Falls Off a Carnival Cruise ship

Read this story on another news outlet and some say she jumped from the ship. She said she slipped from the floor and fell over, which I find impossible. The railings are far to high just to slip and fall over unless maybe she was 10 foot tall.

As we say in the South "Bless her Heart"

I just posted (and deleted) the same story. I was wondering HOW in world she managed to fall off the balcony? If I recall, the barrier came up to a little above waist level (for me). She must have stood on something and leaned waaaaaaaaaaay over!

Her roommate said that she didn't see her go overboard yet she wanted the ship to turn around?

Anyway, interesting story....

just saw it, yeah it was a scary and terrifying experience but she "slipped and fell" over the balcony? For real? Maybe if she was standing on a chair and drunk (the drunk part she admitted to) The sad part is that Carnival will probably just settle out of court and her payoff will mean increased prices for the rest of us.

I felt sorry for her until I remembered that she's suing Carnival because they did not sufficiently keep her from behaving like an idiot.

Does anyone deserve to experience that -- of course not. But a drunk leaning out over a rail on a ship in the middle of the ocean at night...which part of that makes her think that was a reasonable thing to do?

I hate that I live in a culture where this is the norm. Personal responsibility has gone the way of the dinosaurs. :(

You can't falll over accidently .. unless you are doing something stupid and then its your fault.

People want to make it so you cant get fresh air or see the ocean on a shiip to protect the cruiseline from people's stupidity.

Journalism dying or already dead?

In my opinion it is dead. It died when news departments became part of the Entertainment department. I believe it moved the focus from unbiased reporting of events to doing whatever it took to increase revenues.

Jim

I just saw this story. I find it very hard for her to slip off unless she was totally drunk out of her mind. IMHO, she should be lucky they came back for her. And how did her friend instantly know she fell overboard and not just in another bar-cause she was in the bathroom and just figured?? I have left the cabin numerous times while my DH was in the bathroom and he didn't know I was gone, this while sober! And, she was in a suite, she had access to a minibar in her cabin, as such, she may have carried the party to her cabin. Just sayin--this has riled me up. I mean, glad she is safe and all, but for real!

She said she leaned back over the railing - meaning leaning backwards? Still very hard to fall over - unless she's very tall she must have been leaning backwards with her feet off the floor of the balcony.

And I'm not defending her, but don't ships have cameras that are aimed at the balconies? If the friend was insisting she fell and it's true that she had to beg the captain numerous times to turn the ship back, wondering if there was no way to review video. The surveillance videos should show if someone went overboard, they would know her cabin # so it seems like it could be pretty quick to pick out the right camera & video to view. Other times someone goes over, there is a time stamp of when it happens. It is no one's fault but the passenger she went off the balcony, but at the point her friend reported then the cruise line had a duty to act. Turning the ship around for no reason is better than making someone tread water for 90 minutes.

Just wondering when it will come to the time when cruise ships will not turn around and do a search...if they are going to be sued for saving someone. I am not sure how the Captain can be positive someone went overboard, unless actually seen by people or unless cameras are all along the ship to monitor??

More and more laws (lawsuits) are being done to protect ourselves from doing stupid things then finding someone else to blame and pay!

They came back, found her, rescued her, and she's suing them? Guess it takes all kinds to make a world. I love the way the lawyer says it's not about her making poor choices.

I agree! I mean, I feel sorry for her but where's her accountability in this? She was blistered drunk on LI iced tea...she fell overboard and they came to get her, saving her life.

I've had balcony cabins 12 of my 13 completed cruises and I cannot imagine anyone just "falling" over the balcony rail. I'm 5' 11" and I can't imagine just slipping and falling over the side.

I'm trying to rationalize this. If she was leaning over the rail to look at the ship and her feet slipped out from under her wouldn't she had slid down on the balcony instead of falling over?

Really? :rolleyes:

Yes, really. Every bartender should know when a patron should no longer be served. Bartenders everywhere struggle with actually applying this. We've had a number of lawsuits in our town where people say they are not liable because they were overserved. In many cases the bartender has been held responsible. My opinion is bartenders should do this as a courtesy, but people are responsible for their own actions.

The balcony railings come up to my chest...they are 3/4 of my height! I know I'm short, but I feel like only Kareem Abdul Jabbar could honestly trip and fall over one of these. I just checked pictures, and they are at my husband's waist- again, it would take a lot to fall over one.

Carnival's actions saved this woman's life. I hope they win the case and counter sue!

Journalism dying or already dead?

It is dead. My journalism teacher is rolling over in her grave, but there must be some law proffessors grinning and wringing their hands, I am ashamed of what a greedy country we have turned into.

I know that you are not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition. I don't care anymore.

Archived