Making The Leap To 18 Nights @ Sea?

montanarose12

My husband and I have never cruised longer than 10 nights at a stretch (all on RSS), but we're thinking of doing the Rio-to-Barcelona "grand crossing" next season, which is 18 nights. I'm just wondering what this longer time feels like to you more experienced cruisers: will we go stir-crazy? how do we handle packing for this long without taking an unwieldy amount of luggage? is "formal night" really that formal?

Our previous RSS cruises have all been very "port-intensive," and we've worn ourselves out trying to do too much (enjoying it all, of course; but somewhat needing a vacation from our vacation when we get back home!). Right now, I'm rather drawn to the thought of fewer ports and all those lovely -- at least I think they'd be lovely -- at-sea days. But I'd love to hear from you folks who made the leap to longer cruising and either hated or loved it. Thanks, in advance, for any input.

Edited by montanarose12
clarity

We did basically the same cruise you're considering, a year ago November. Only difference was that we left from Monte Carlo. We loved it! There was plenty to do and the sea time was actually broken up by the Canary Islands and Cape Verde. When we cruised, I actually thought it was a pretty good value......maybe not so much now. As far as clothing goes, you don't have to tote along a lot of formal wear, as there is never a "mandatory" formal evening. John didn't take a tux, only sport coats (I think 2?)and a couple of ties. My most dressy outfits were a long black skirt, dress pants, a couple of silk blouses and a lot of giant silk scarves. They didn't take up any room, and doubled as blankets in colder venues! haha!

We took the leap to longer cruising and live it. Our current cruise is 16 nights plus a 3 night post cruise. Our March 2013 sailing is 18 nights plus 3 nights pre-order.

The sea days are wonderful. Not boring relaxing.

Formal night was definitely not formal. A lot of men worked spots jackets but we did not any tuxedos.

Most people use the free laundry on longer cruises. We have free laundry that we love. I would not be concerned about taking a longer cruise.

The longest we have ever done, due to my work, is 14 days, but we loved. I actually enjoy sea days as a way to relax. No worries about bringing formal attire, unless you just want to. I pack basically the same amount of clothing for a 14 day cruise as I do for a 7 day. Just either do laundry myself or send it out (usually a little of both).

Because our "Ideal" cruise would be a day in port followed by two sea days and then another day in port followed by three sea days (Need a little extra rest) then another day in port, etc. etc. etc. .....etc. You will fully enjoy the pleasure of actually cruising for 3-5 days as you make the crossing. Enjoy!:D

We did 16 days LA to Miami thru the Panama Canal...? Loved having a port day followed by a sea day (or two). Finally we actually got to rest, enjoy the ship, sleep in and read a book instead of off the ship by 8am every morning!

A crossing (either direction) is the best kind of First Class seats!

Well here's the deal. You're contemplating two new things combined into one cruise. A longer cruise, plus a long transatlantic with lots of consecutive sea days. So be aware of this when you're thinking this out.

We just did our first transatlantic, which was 14 days. We had previously done three 14-day cruises, two of which had as many as 4 sea days at a stretch--not quite a transatlantic.

We came away still knowing that we like sea days, but also knowing we probably don't want six in a row, so we probably won't do another TA, at least not for a while. But I can still totally imagine doing a somewhat longer cruise, with hopefully a mix of sea days and ports.

But looking at the possible itineraries, looks like you wouldn't have any more than 4 sea days at a time--looks perfect.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

MontanaRose - Greetings! I've been sort of contemplating the same exact itinerary (and cruise). Our longest cruise, so far, has been a 12-day from Vancouver to San Francisco on Navigator - but that didn't involve anything more than 2 sea days at one time.

I actually think we might love it. Biggest concern for me would be if Voyager could stock enough Single Malt Scotch for that long a journey without the need for any emergency at-sea replenishments :D.

In "another (former) life", on several occasions I did 30-40 days at sea (actually, underneath the sea - and there was certainly no swimming pool or bars/lounges, and nothing that resembled Compass Rose for dining!). And we didn't have a "Cruise Director" - just a Commanding Officer, and a really grouchy "Chief of the Boat". :eek:

But doing this (a TA cruise) on Mariner (between South America and Spain) sounds like it could be a one-of-a-kind experience. The only thing that really bothers me a bit is that those are really expensive "at sea" days.

But just the lounging around and being treated in the "Regent way", has to certainly be worth it. I haven't made a final decision yet, but we might just be joining you. Who knows!? :p

I have done many many Regent cruises, love them all. Now, anything under 14 days is too short! Actually though, I have taken many of those shorter ones of 7-10 nights and loved them, the longer the better for me, now, I like sea days between ports, a few intense days of them and then more sea days. Just depends on your likes, and how much time you have, give me about 21 days or more, and I'm happy.

We have done several longer cruises - Panama Canal was 16 nights on Mariner, We did a back to back Med with a Crossing which was also 16 nights on Voyager. There were only two sea days from Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale and it worked for us. We returned early in the month from 26 nights with a 12 day followed by a 14 day transatlantic. We had 4 port days on the 14 day crossing and weather was not conducive to being outside much. We will not cruise 26 nights again back to back. We would do 16 days with half being port calls. We had just had our fill of same-ness. We've actually had enough of extensive cruising for a few years and have one cruise booked and 18 days on land this coming year.

We've done 2 "grand crossings" of our 4 Regent cruises; we loved them. Did a 10 day, port-intensive Med cruise with Regent and found it too tiring! We love the sea day activities and a few ports interspersed every 3 to 4 days. DW likes to dress up so I took my tux previously but on the upcoming cruise (33 nights with 2 "formal") I'll bring a dark suit instead (gives me a chance to show that I finally learned to tie a bow tie!

pingpong1, Nice to meet a fellow USN type. Were you conventional or nuclear. I spent 3+ years on a CVS so we might have crossed paths.

If ColWes reads this he'll have to understand there are more of us. Go Navy!

;) Please leave room aboard for a few "Coasties", even if it is only in the goat locker......:D

Actually Awed, I have heard that recently the Coast Guard is the most difficult to join. Great demand and small space. BZ
......Oh yes, we can be a bit picky. But then, of course, our Academy is in that other New London, the one that looks across the Thames towards the Navy's Sub school over in Groton......HeHe or is it LOL? Hope things are in order up there in New Hampshire.

NewLondon/AWED - Greetings, Shipmates! Nice to see some good representation by the "Sea Services" on this board (Sorry, Wes!). Now we just need to hear from some Merchant Marines!

Bill - If you were stationed on a CVS (which one?), I think you were a couple of years ahead of me. I did several TAD assignements onboard SSN683 in the late '80's and two full years (68-70) onboard CLG5 with C7FLT staff. Spent 25 years in uniform with the NavSecGru and then an additional 18 years as a civilian with ONI. Many trips to the New London/Groton area over the years to support the SSN's (ComSubGru2) and to King's Bay, GA and Silverdale, WA to support the "Boomers" (SSBN's). Also worked with ASW guys flying out of NAS Jax, Bermuda (nice!), Brunswick, and Keflavik, etc. So, I worked "both sides of the problem".

AWED - Many good memories working with "Coasties" on counter-drug ops in Key West, Governor's Island, and Alameda. Even designed/built a communications facility for the CG in West Virginia (who knew?)! It was always a pleasure working with the "Coasties" - all 10 of them! :D I even got to ride on a couple of their "yachts" - Oops, I mean "Cutters"!

"Fair winds", Gentlemen.

Wow pingpong, You have a much more impressive career than I. I was on CVS9 USS ESSEX the first of the fast carriers in 1943. Unfortunately, even though she still did 33kts+ in 1964, her day was over. We played cat and mouse games with the Russians, both sub-sea, and surface with their fishing fleet in the NA.

Our major claim to fame, not our fault and fortunately not tragic was a collision with the submerged SSN Nautilus. If you're interested e-mail me sometime at bsloan.1at comcast.net.

The address is obviously needing a @ symbol but I left that out so I won't be trolled.

Bill

Some Command Master Chiefs have been known to allow a squid temorary command of the wheel of one of THEIR yachts...I am certain that in order to get their 3rd rocker they have to pass a grouchy & nasty exam.....Happy New Year and times a waisting.

:p 1943 ???.....You are ancient. Was the Essex the first our carriers designed and built as a carrier rather than converted from a cruiser hull?...I remember the incident with the Nautilus.....You have had a cold Winter up there in NH....We are having a rather mild winter here in the San Juans....See you aboard, Rob from #826.

Back on topic...After several 7 day cruises, we tried 12 days, with few sea days -- and hated it! I was ready to come home after 10 days. But, maybe it had something to do with the ship; it was the old Costa Allegra, a converted container ship (now burned and scrapped).

So, what did I do? Allegra was a small ship, and I liked the size, so I went searching and found Oceania! That same year, our first cruise was 26 days from Miami to Manaus, Brazil and back to Miami -- and we loved it! That led to more cruises with O, and a couple with Regent. Like jhp, we now find that shorter cruises are not worth the effort, unless they're a special occasion, like Oceania's 7 day 10th Anniversary cruise in Alaska last year. The longest we've been aboard so far was 34 days on Marina when she was first launched, from Barcelona to San Francisco.

We just completed 24 days on a different cruise line, which included a 12 day transAtlantic with only one stop in the Azores -- 5 sea days then 6 more after the port.

Luggage is not a problem -- we find folks don't remember what you wore previously, and laundry refreshes everything. If the climate is moderate, we can manage for a month with two carry-ons. If the weather varies greatly, we share an additional mid-size suitcase which allows boots, jackets and such. Regent's "formal" nights are optional; you will not feel uncomfortable in the normal Elegant Casual dress.

We'll be gone from 5/15 to 6/21 next year (today is the the last day I can write that :D) on a combination RV trip, Atlantic crossing from NY to London and a river cruise from Amsterdam to Basel. We expect to do it with carry-ons.

One cruise we won't be able to manage with such minimal luggage is our upcoming "180 Days Around the World" on Oceania Insignia in January, 2015. See what can happen if you begin to love longer cruises?