cruise for big beautiful women and admirers

moon_goddess325

Hello everyone! I'm new here at cruise critic so this should be interesting.I've been on 3 cruises already which were great.I'm 21 yrs old and I have a bone to pick here.Now on a cruise,it's supposed be a time where everyone does not care what you do and what not right? Wrong! I'm short and a bit heavy as well.I'm quiet and keep to myself but I can't even go on a cruise without people watching and making smart cracks about me.Last cruise I went on was the Carnival Legend this past September.An old woman with her friends said"oh you know them.the two who are always hanging around and here they come again." Made me angry b/c when I'm on a cruise,I love to explore the ship,go swimming,get into the hot tub..etc..I was just wondering if there ever will be a cruise for big beautiful women and admirers? I think it would be really awesome.This way we big people can enjoy ourselves without having people watch your every move.I also love going to the shows,going dancing every night,taking part of the talent show...maybe I'm just silly.What does everyone else think?

I'm not really sure what kind of people are taking the same cruises that you're on, but in my 33 cruises I've never been pointed out, laughed at or disregarded because of my size or my disability. I've been on just about every line out there from NCL, Carnival, RCCI and Celebrity to Seabourn, Crystal and all the rest and I've never had a problem with people in the way you write about. People come in all shapes and sizes on cruise ships, and I've seen women who were less than a size 0 and more than a 26 and they all just seem to be having a good time. I guess if I were to have the same problem that you had, I would have absolutely no problem with approaching the offenders and confronting them. Nastiness knows no boundaries and unless we stand up and defend ourselves, it will continue.

BTW, I have never heard of a BBW cruise but that doesn't mean one won't happen some day.

Darcie

It's not just the cruises that people would say something or laugh about me.Just in general.And I do stand up for myself.Walking up to them and asking what the problem is.Just makes them stare or laugh even more.For once,I'd like to go anywhere without being stared at.Why can't people mind their own business and give me the same respect we heavy people show them? Oh well.I just deal with it and try to have a good time wherever I may be at the moment.

I share your concern about being treated well on a cruise. My first cruise is coming up in May and although I am looking forward to it, I live in dread of those flimsy plastic deck chairs. Any advice on if there are many chairs that are sturdy and without arms that are comfortable to sit in on a cruise? Specifically Rhapsody of the Seas with Royal Caribbean if you are familiar with that ship.

I wish you a happy vacation on your first cruise sunshine icon_smile.gif I took my first cruise when I was 18 and have been on two others since.Anyway,all around the ship are mainly the plastic loungers to lie down on and relax.By the pools though,there are tables with chairs towards the sides and metal chairs.I hate plastic chairs too.Always think I'll go right through.Since I'm short and heavy,it draws a lot of attention.But not the good.Just a lot of people who don't have anything better to do.GRRRRRRRR.Oh well.I do the best I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Moon -goddess, I am very sorry that people have treated you so rudely. Like you I too get offended when ignorant people make remarks over petty little "inperfections" as they see it.

Unfortunatly, our culture places the standard of beauty at an unreasonable and often unobtainable level.

That said, I love cruising becouse most everyone is so very polite to me at least. As a Holland America faithful, I think the line attracts a very classy and generally educated or erudite group.

It's ok Thoth.I just deal with it and not let them get to me.Better to face it then to sit in a corner and cry about it.Sometimes it gets to me but for the most part,I just keep my head up high and have a good time on the cruise.I love cruising too.Being part of the talent show is one of the best parts.Love to sing.LA,LA,LA,LA!!! Smiles.

Hi.

I am a 67 year old woman who usually cruises alone - I wear a 3X. I have never had a problem with people commenting on my weight until I met the ventriloquist on the Crown on the 2/8 South American Cruise. I was sitting down front as I thought I could take pictures of the entertainers in the theater. Nature called and I finally had to get up to leave. All the other entertainers came out of the wings but he came down the aisle and we almost collided. I have done a lot of acting and do not get stagefright. But this jerk turned around as I continued up the aisle and started walking behind me, making faces and making remarks like, "doesn't she know the buffet is closed?" and some other stuff. The audience loved it, but I almost cussed the jerk off. We disembarked the next day and I sent a letter to the Cruise Director that I deserve an apology for his very rude behavior. And I finally wrote to NCL and let them know how he treated me. I haven't heard from them yet. Now that is the heighth of discrimination of overweight people. So, don't expect the worst, but it happens. I am usually very gregarious and people learn to overlook it, and I am the first to laugh at myself - but don't disrespect me!

Kathleen

ss Independence - Hawaii - 1981

ss Stardancer - Mexico - 1983

QE2 - Panama Canal - 1987

Viking Serenade (old Stardancer) - Mexico - 2001

Legend of the Seas - Australia/NZ - 2002

NCL Wind - Alaska - 2003

NCL Dream - Boston to Quebec - 2003

NCL Crown - South America - 2004

American Queen - Mississippi River - 5/04

NCL Sun - Repositioning - 9/04

• 7 years later...
Hello everyone! I'm new here at cruise critic so this should be interesting.I've been on 3 cruises already which were great.I'm 21 yrs old and I have a bone to pick here.Now on a cruise,it's supposed be a time where everyone does not care what you do and what not right? Wrong! I'm short and a bit heavy as well.I'm quiet and keep to myself but I can't even go on a cruise without people watching and making smart cracks about me.Last cruise I went on was the Carnival Legend this past September.An old woman with her friends said"oh you know them.the two who are always hanging around and here they come again." Made me angry b/c when I'm on a cruise,I love to explore the ship,go swimming,get into the hot tub..etc..I was just wondering if there ever will be a cruise for big beautiful women and admirers? I think it would be really awesome.This way we big people can enjoy ourselves without having people watch your every move.I also love going to the shows,going dancing every night,taking part of the talent show...maybe I'm just silly.What does everyone else think?

Wow the people that would make comments about you. they need to get a life. Im only 5.7 tall im 160 pounds and my wife is a big person but i love my wife very much i would do anything for her and if someone said something about wife i would jump all over them. the bottem line people need to get a life and stop putting people down and check your self

• 3 weeks later...

I knew of someone who would make insulting remarks about women as she walked down the street that had nothing wrong with them in my opinon and she would say it just loud enough for them to hear it but not draw attention from others. One remark was "Look at her fat legs." I looked and the women had gorgeous, sexy legs. I said "No she doesn't..her legs are beautiful." What I learned was that this women had serious insecurity issues. I didn't understand why because she was a very pretty woman herself. Guys were constantly giving her attention. As I learned more about her she was a person who was doing very ugly things in her life (which is too long for me to go into). So, some people do those things because they don't feel good about themselves so they have to put others down so they can feel better. Plus size women are beautiful and there is room on this earth as well as cruiseships for every shape and size. You have to feel good in your own skin and hold your head up high. Happy Cruising!:)

• 8 months later...
Now on a cruise,it's supposed be a time where everyone does not care what you do and what not right? Wrong! I'm short and a bit heavy as well.I'm quiet and keep to myself but I can't even go on a cruise without people watching and making smart cracks about me.Last cruise I went on was the Carnival Legend this past September.An old woman with her friends said"oh you know them.the two who are always hanging around and here they come again." Made me angry b/c when I'm on a cruise,I love to explore the ship,go swimming,get into the hot tub..etc..

I've been on 5 cruises so far, 2 with a friend who is as big as I am and 2 solo. I've never noticed anyone staring or commenting... and THEY would be the rude ones if they did!

Sometimes when one doesn't feel comfortable with their own body or size, it can SEEM like people are staring or commenting when they really aren't. I have a friend with post-traumatic stress disorder, and when she goes into a restaurant she is SURE that everyone is staring at her. I've sat next to her and nobody seemed to notice her any more than anyone else. Think about it... maybe the person walking behind you was someone they met at dinner the night before and didn't like? You never know what's really going on in people's lives.

Of course, I didn't know this at age 21 either. It took me at least another 10 years to realize that worrying about what people who I've never met and will likely never see again is completely irrelevant, and I should do what I think is right. And another 10 years of practice before it really REALLY didn't matter! Hang in there and don't let them stop you. Get in the hot tub and let them marvel at your superior cleavage. :D

Moon, I have a lot of friends in the BBW community and I know there are BBW events all over Canada and the US. In fact there's a yearly week long bash in Vegas in July. It would not surprise me if one day someone arranges a group to go on a cruise.

I'm a size 16, and for a long time was not comfortable with my body, but I decided to embrace who I was, and live my life, not caring what other people were saying. I decided to do what makes me happy. And so that meant, for me, that I wore a bikini on my cruise. It wasn't some tiny little string thing and the only extra skin showing was my tummy, but it was that I wanted to wear it, I felt great, and I wasn't going to worry about what other people thought. And I wasn't the only larger girl on my cruise that was wearing a two piece. It's all about YOUR mindset and how you decide to let your size affect your life. If you're comfortable with your body, then you do what you want, when and where you want to do it!

And I'm saying all that with much respect! :D

Hi.

I am a 67 year old woman who usually cruises alone - I wear a 3X. I have never had a problem with people commenting on my weight until I met the ventriloquist on the Crown on the 2/8 South American Cruise. I was sitting down front as I thought I could take pictures of the entertainers in the theater. Nature called and I finally had to get up to leave. All the other entertainers came out of the wings but he came down the aisle and we almost collided. I have done a lot of acting and do not get stagefright. But this jerk turned around as I continued up the aisle and started walking behind me, making faces and making remarks like, "doesn't she know the buffet is closed?" and some other stuff. The audience loved it, but I almost cussed the jerk off. We disembarked the next day and I sent a letter to the Cruise Director that I deserve an apology for his very rude behavior. And I finally wrote to NCL and let them know how he treated me. I haven't heard from them yet. Now that is the heighth of discrimination of overweight people. So, don't expect the worst, but it happens. I am usually very gregarious and people learn to overlook it, and I am the first to laugh at myself - but don't disrespect me!

Kathleen

ss Independence - Hawaii - 1981

ss Stardancer - Mexico - 1983

QE2 - Panama Canal - 1987

Viking Serenade (old Stardancer) - Mexico - 2001

Legend of the Seas - Australia/NZ - 2002

NCL Wind - Alaska - 2003

NCL Dream - Boston to Quebec - 2003

NCL Crown - South America - 2004

American Queen - Mississippi River - 5/04

NCL Sun - Repositioning - 9/04

I'm sorry that happened to you. That's absolutely unacceptable behavior from a staff member. Entertainer or not. I hope NCL does apologize.

Also, I love your profile pic. Our first dog (my family) was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. We loved our Billy boy and miss him very much!

• 3 months later...

I am 43 and bbw myself - i was concerned about this as well. For the most part I try not to be too self conscious but i'm not always successful. I am going solo on my the first cruise i've ever been on and am really hoping to have a relaxing fun time. I like to go swimming but due to my weight i dont really want to be in a swim suit. Does Carnival have any restrictions about wearing a cover and shorts over the suit while you are in the pool on board?

I am 43 and bbw myself - i was concerned about this as well. For the most part I try not to be too self conscious but i'm not always successful. I am going solo on my the first cruise i've ever been on and am really hoping to have a relaxing fun time. I like to go swimming but due to my weight i dont really want to be in a swim suit. Does Carnival have any restrictions about wearing a cover and shorts over the suit while you are in the pool on board?

No restrictions at all. I think we all have complexes no matter our size. I didn't feel comfortable walking around in my one piece on one cruise and didn't take off my shorts and I got in the pool and went down the slide. So, there isn't a problem. And I did that on my October 2011 sailing. My sailings in 2012 I wore my swimsuit and didn't care who looked..because I've seen worse.

• 2 weeks later...

There are always going to be people who are going to point, laugh, and make rude comments. Weight is one of the last forms of acceptable discrimination in the United States, because society sees it as wrong and unhealthy, so that means it is ok to point, laugh, make fun of, etc. People will even allow their children to do so, and feel justified in doing so, with the idea that the person they are targeting is the one in the wrong.

However, regardless of how society perceives anyone, people of all shapes and sizes are still people and still have feelings the same as anyone else. When someone 'makes fun of' anyone, for any reason, it is bullying and it is hurtful. We never know why someone is the way they are, and we never have the right to assault them, whether physically or verbally, just because we do not like what we see.

Thank you to everyone who has posted to share your stories.

Personally, I have never noticed, onboard cruise ships, very much notice given to anyone in particular unless it is someone who is extremely far from the norm - ie. a 90 year old woman wearing a thong, etc. An overweight woman in a swimsuit, a chubby man in a speedo, etc. - those things are kind of the norm on cruise ships :) So no worries there!

Go, enjoy yourselves. If someone has a problem...THEY have the problem. As Eleanor Roosevelt said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent..." (or something to that effect). And... I love and live by that quote. We cannot control the thoughts or actions of others... only how we allow it to impact US. So...do not let bullies win - do not let them make you cower or hide your face in shame. We are more than the skin we are in...which happens to be beautiful!

Hah, sorry for the little lecture - guess it's late and I'm feeling a bit preachy tonight :)

Best of luck and enjoy being you!

Cruisin'Doc, I wish there is a like button for your post. Looks like I'll have to settle for a thumbs up instead.

As for the ladies concerned, count me as one of your fans, admirers, and supporters.

Cruisin'Doc, I wish there is a like button for your post. Looks like I'll have to settle for a thumbs up instead.

As for the ladies concerned, count me as one of your fans, admirers, and supporters.

Awe, well thanks jj. Thumbs up are as good as likes, lol. Takes a lot of experience to learn those lessons sometimes.

Btw, when I saw your message, I remembered your name. I sent the request because there was something you posted awhile ago that I was going to message you/respond to, but wasn't sure how to do so. Thought perhaps you had to be 'friends.' Now I don't remember exactly what it was! LOL. Oh well!

Always a pleasure, CD. I responded to your friend request. If you happen to remember the post that prompted the request, I would most happy to answer your question(s).

Well, in less than 30 mins, my ship will be setting sail from Catalina Island to Ensenada. Hasta luego for now!

Always a pleasure, CD. I responded to your friend request. If you happen to remember the post that prompted the request, I would most happy to answer your question(s).

Well, in less than 30 mins, my ship will be setting sail from Catalina Island to Ensenada. Hasta luego for now!

Thanks, JJ.

I scanned back over your posts to try and remember…but I have no clue! It could have been about cruising, your school (since I teach), the military, or who knows what? For all I know, I could have had a comment because you said you were single and looking! LOL. I can only use the excuse that it was one of those ‘pretending to be blonde, even though I’m a brunette’ moments!

Hope you enjoyed your cruise!

Thanks' date=' JJ.[/font']

I scanned back over your posts to try and remember…but I have no clue! It could have been about cruising, your school (since I teach), the military, or who knows what? For all I know, I could have had a comment because you said you were single and looking! LOL. I can only use the excuse that it was one of those ‘pretending to be blonde, even though I’m a brunette’ moments!

Hope you enjoyed your cruise!

Well, I'm still a free agent. :D It's really cool that you teach. I met many teachers during my cruises, including a boarding school teacher in my recently completed cruise. Our society needs to do a better job in appreciating the contributions of these professionals. I hope to teach college level courses, either at my alma mater (ERAU) or a local community college. Sometimes I think that as much as I like cruising, I should pursue a nautical-based education instead of one that is aviation-based. Both interest me, but my work experience was with the latter. Well, off I go again in just two months. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I'm still a free agent. :D It's really cool that you teach. I met many teachers during my cruises, including a boarding school teacher in my recently completed cruise. Our society needs to do a better job in appreciating the contributions of these professionals. I hope to teach college level courses, either at my alma mater (ERAU) or a local community college. Sometimes I think that as much as I like cruising, I should pursue a nautical-based education instead of one that is aviation-based. Both interest me, but my work experience was with the latter. Well, off I go again in just two months. :)

Woohoo! Same! ;)

I actually teach at a University in a graduate program, glutton for punishment that I am. What's funny about my cruising, is my first ever cruise was a TRAINING cruise that a friend convinced me to take with her! Best tax-exempt vacation I ever took! I've been a bit of an addict every since that time. My students (and other faculty, hah) know this, and are working very hard to convince me to teach a class on a cruise ship. So far, our program coordinator just rolls his eyes at me - I don't think he's convinced this is a good idea!

And by the way - I have you beat - I leave in a month!

• 2 weeks later...
Woohoo! Same! ;)

I actually teach at a University in a graduate program' date=' glutton for punishment that I am. What's funny about my cruising, is my first ever cruise was a TRAINING cruise that a friend convinced me to take with her! Best tax-exempt vacation I ever took! I've been a bit of an addict every since that time. My students (and other faculty, hah) know this, and are working very hard to convince me to teach a class on a cruise ship. So far, our program coordinator just rolls his eyes at me - I don't think he's convinced this is a good idea!

And by the way - I have you beat - I leave in a month![/quote']

That would be so cool to attend a college course on a cruise ship, sort of like a semester at sea program, but at an accelerated pace. If you manage to convince your program coordinator to let you do this, let me know. I'll register quicker than a New York minute, lol! ;)

Oh yeah. You may have me beat, but I have an 18-day cruise to Hawaii coming up in December, so nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!!! :D I'm taking some time off from classes to do this, though.

Well, I'd tell you to have an awesome cruise, but I know you will. :)

ETA: Just wondering, what kind of courses do you teach?

That would be so cool to attend a college course on a cruise ship, sort of like a semester at sea program, but at an accelerated pace. If you manage to convince your program coordinator to let you do this, let me know. I'll register quicker than a New York minute, lol! ;)

Oh yeah. You may have me beat, but I have an 18-day cruise to Hawaii coming up in December, so nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!!! :D I'm taking some time off from classes to do this, though.

Well, I'd tell you to have an awesome cruise, but I know you will. :)

ETA: Just wondering, what kind of courses do you teach?

Well… I’m still working on it. So far, he’s not buying it, lol. When I convince him, however, I’ll be sure to sign you up! Word to the wise – prepare for fun – one of the most ‘fun’ classes you can take in grad school!

And…ok, so I leave in two weeks…but…I’d trade for the 18-days in Hawaii. There’s no need to brag, ya’ know :P It’s really not nice!! Every time *I* try to take some time off from classes, someone comes looking for me! :D Hehe.

As for what I teach – I try not to post identifying info in the forums…you know, crazy people and such, but if you’d like to email me, I’ll be glad to tell you – that way you can be preparing to sign up for my classes! That, and I think I might have a vague idea of what I was originally going to ask you :rolleyes: LOL. And no – I’m not being hypocritical – this is not an identifiable email! Hah. The email is stormyewaters@hotmail.com

Archived