Maya Chan??

randig

• 2 weeks later...

We have been there five times. Never a bad experience-NEVER!

I did not know that some of the negative reports are from other resorts. This might not be fair, but take that into consideration.

This is one special place and we will be back for trip # 6 without question.

Do they still do massages? If so, about what was the cost?

We had a massage when we were there last year. It was the worst one I've ever had. The men were rough and their hands were like sand paper. They spoke to each other in Spanish the entire time. Not relaxing at all. BUT Maya Chan is pure heaven. We will be going back when we are there in November and I can't wait!

• 2 months later...
Has anyone been to Maya Chan Lately

We were there this past February. Were you looking for some specific information?

The owners are fabulous, the food AMAZING! There is a fair bit of sea grass so if that's a dealbreaker for you, be forewarned.

I included it in my cruise review and here's what I had to say about it:

Costa Maya

We chose a private excursion for this port, the Maya Chan Beach, based on the rave reviews it got here and on other review sites. We struggled a bit with the decision, because it’s a bit of a drive out and this port was our shortest stop, docking at 7 a.m. and departing at 2 p.m.

Maya Chan Beach is an all-inclusive private beach - 5 miles south of the Port of Costa Maya – that takes care of transportation, entertainment (kayaking, beach biking, snorkeling, sand wedge golf) and food. Free wifi with computers is available onsite.

They serve a Mayan Feast (including chicken thighs, grilled skirt steak, garlic sea bass, mayan pork, and tortillas), and have a children’s menu.

From the beginning, the folks at Maya Chan Beach were welcoming and responsive to our questions. Two weeks outside out sail date we got an email with detailed instructions and a port map.

They – and other reviewers – caution about the seagrass. If you don’t like seagrass, they say, this may not be the beach for you. We’re landlocked prairie folk and didn’t really know what seagrass was. It smells bad and there was a lot of it. The entire time we were there, there was a gentleman raking up and disposing of the seagrass. Once you got further out into the water, the seagrass wasn’t as much of a problem. We were in a nice little palapa with a hammock, a beach bed, two adult beach chairs, and a small table. They provided a small kids’ beach chair and a bucket of sand toys for our granddaughter.

I cannot say enough nice things about the amazing people who run and work at this resort. From beginning to end, impeccable care and attention. It started when we got off the ship and went to the meeting point.

In our defence and before I start this part of the story, let me remind you that we were in vacation mode and had, apparently, left our brains in a bucket at home. We couldn’t figure out why no one was there to meet us. Someone finally showed up, very pleasant young man, and as we talked, we realized that we had arrived for the excursion on ship time instead of local time. Maya Chan arranged for a taxi and got us to the beach an hour early.

Once we arrived at Maya Chan and settled into our palapa, we were served drinks and homemade chips with fresh salsa and guacamole. Delicious. Drinks and food were included in the cost of our excursion. $58/adult, $30/child.

And the food was amazing. It was set up buffet style, locally sourced. The fresh fish – catch of the day – in a wine sauce, I think, was delicious.

Our five year-old granddaughter had spent the vacation in search of a real coconut and they obliged her by hacking down a coconut and giving her one to try. She was disappointed in the taste, but loved the experience!

You will not find more hospitable hosts than the people at this resort.

Oh hey, they also have a treehouse that you can rent (instead of a palapa).

Edited by CanadianDee

Oh hey, they also have a treehouse that you can rent (instead of a palapa).

We were there this past February also. Was my 3rd time there! We were told, since the Treehouse was not rented, that we could go up there at anytime. We planned to do that....but actually never did. The time just flew by and then it was time to leave.

Harriet

• 6 months later...

They ask that you don't tip individually. They have a "Love Box" for tips. That said, you should tip based on what you think is appropriate. I think $10-$15 per person total for the day is reasonable. Would depend on how many drinks, etc.

• 3 months later...

We love Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. Would this be similar? Nothing makes me happier than a beautiful beach with soft sand and clear water while being waited on. Would this meet those expectations or is there another place that would be more to our liking? We will be there in July on the Getaway. Our ship is docked from 8-5. My husband and I love to lounge in the sun and sea and our son (19) burns easily and prefers the shade.

I've been there. [emoji4] My only concerns are the brown water and sea grass, but ended up requesting a reservation anyway. [emoji41]

We were just at Maya Chan last week and loved it! The service and pampering (great food, drinks, and cheap massages) were the best of any beach club we have been to. It is a great value for the price. However, do not expect a great beach and crystal water. They realize this and stress it on their website and in all correspondence. They provide floating water chairs and kayaks to make your experience more enjoyable. To be more comfortable in the water it helps to wear water shoes. We had a great time but be prepared for rocks and seaweed beds in the water. I would not call the water brown but just not the blue you are accustomed to.

We love Nachi Cocom in Cozumel. Would this be similar? Nothing makes me happier than a beautiful beach with soft sand and clear water while being waited on. Would this meet those expectations or is there another place that would be more to our liking? We will be there in July on the Getaway. Our ship is docked from 8-5. My husband and I love to lounge in the sun and sea and our son (19) burns easily and prefers the shade.

We have been to both. Nachi Cocum was very nice, Maya Chan is great!! I will be there for the 3rd time next month!! The 2nd time we were there the waster was cloudy, but it didn't take away from the great day we had.