Maya Chan or Tropicante?

canuckcruiselover

Our Mariner of the Seas cruise is scheduled to arrive in Costa Maya at noon which doesn't leave a lot of time for an excursion so we're thinking of spending the afternoon either at Maya Chan or Tropicante. Can anyone tell me which place they would recommend and why?

I also see that there's another option in Costa Maya which has some very good reviews on trip advisor -- Nahoch Kay. I need some help deciding. We are 4 adults (young "seniors") who just want to relax on a nice beach for a few hours. A good massage would be a plus!!

Having never been to Costa Maya myself, but planning to visit in February, here is the results of the homework I did:

Maya Chan Beach Resort is an all inclusive that costs about $59/person.

Nohoch Kay is on the waterfront boulevard (malecón) right across from the beach. I could not find a web site for them, but did find reviews and it appears they are rated #2 on tripadvisors.

Tropicante is also on the waterfront boulevard and is an Ameri-Mex Grill run by an American expatriot. It appears to be rated #3 on tripadvisor.

I've seen great reviews for all 3 establishments here, so it comes down to personal preferences. For my life-style, an all-inclusie isn't a good value, so Maya Chan is out for me. That leaves Nohoch Kay and Tropicante. I liked what I saw on Tropicante's web site and the fact that it's run by an American, so that's where I'll be relaxing.

Haven't seen if one can get a massage at Nohoch Kay, but I know Tropicante has them!

I've only visited Maya Chan, but can say from experience that there's a good reason it's rated #1. We were there last week and had a fantastic day. Totally laid back and relaxed and no venders hawking you was a plus. And, the massage wasn't bad either. When you include the transportation to & from, drinks, chips & salsa on arrival, lunch, private cabana w/bed, chairs and hammock, it's a great deal. Oh, there's floats and snorkeling and kayaks and not a lot of crowds. We're going back next month. Can ya tell I'm just a little excited. :D

Pat

I totally agree with Pat. We were at Maya Chan 3 weeks ago. They limit the number of guests and treat you like family. The road there has many potholes but that is the only negative. The food was delicious with the best guacamole I've ever tasted. The bartender will make sure you are pleased. They are there totally to make you feel pampered and relaxed. This will be my only excursion when I am in Costa Maya.

Having never been to Costa Maya myself, but planning to visit in February, here is the results of the homework I did:

Maya Chan Beach Resort is an all inclusive that costs about $59/person.

Nohoch Kay is on the waterfront boulevard (malecón) right across from the beach. I could not find a web site for them, but did find reviews and it appears they are rated #2 on tripadvisors.

Tropicante is also on the waterfront boulevard and is an Ameri-Mex Grill run by an American expatriot. It appears to be rated #3 on tripadvisor.

I've seen great reviews for all 3 establishments here, so it comes down to personal preferences. For my life-style, an all-inclusie isn't a good value, so Maya Chan is out for me. That leaves Nohoch Kay and Tropicante. I liked what I saw on Tropicante's web site and the fact that it's run by an American, so that's where I'll be relaxing.

Haven't seen if one can get a massage at Nohoch Kay, but I know Tropicante has them!

I believe all of these are on the beach on the halcyon, which is not that large. I went to the Tropicante, which is free, and will return there next trip. The Epic ship entertainers--Blue Man, Legends etc. all go there for drinks and food as well, so you know its good [and cheap]. Steve and his help couldn't be nicer--but book ahead because I was unable to reserve [free] a lounge chair, but Steve gave me a chair and small table. Try the chicken in sour cream--Yum.

I believe all of these are on the beach on the halcyon, which is not that large. I went to the Tropicante, which is free, and will return there next trip. The Epic ship entertainers--Blue Man, Legends etc. all go there for drinks and food as well, so you know its good [and cheap]. Steve and his help couldn't be nicer--but book ahead because I was unable to reserve [free] a lounge chair, but Steve gave me a chair and small table. Try the chicken in sour cream--Yum.

I've already emailed Steve with our arrival date. He emailed back to use right away and and is holding 2 loungers for us. He even provided details about catching a cab and how to find his establishment. Really looking forward to a relaxing Cerveza filled day in Costa Maya!

Thank you fo the pictures, very nice. I'd like to see some of Tropicante too! :)

I haven't been to Tropicante yet - have 2 loungers reserved for February 2012.

But here is a link to their site that has some photos: http://sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

Hopefully, someone else will post more! Would love to see them too.

It was hard for me to decide which one. Finally decided on The Tropicante. I emailed Steve at Tropicante to reserve 2 chairs for us in March and we are all set. We don't drink that much during the day, so I'm not sure if Maya Chan would be money well spent as far as that aspect of the all inclusive. However, it does sound like an awesome place (have seen the pics and read reviews). Decided we'd try Tropicante this time, hoping to go back on another cruise one day and try Maya Chan. I use to think if I go on a cruise, I want to go to different islands on each cruise and never go back to the same island. Then I realized there is so much to see and do on many of the islands, that you can't ever do it all in one visit. So Tropicante this time and Maya Chan the next!!! :)

Edited by PreciousCruiser

I ended up booking with MayaChan. It is a $60 deposit but since this is the first time to this port I was more comfortable booking with them. We are going in Feb on Celebrity Solstice. I believe there will be two ships in port that day.

In Costa Maya, I had contacted Steve at the Tropicante. We had a wonderful day - we got exactly what Steve had promised - 4 loungers and 2 umbrellas. The food was excellent and reasonably priced, the beach was beautiful. Steve also directed us to Neptuno to see about fishing. We paid $75 for 4 of us to go out fishing. My husband caught a 3 ft barracuda which our guide filleted and took to Steve's to cook for us - it was absolutely amazing in taste!! The best food we had on the trip! I really can't recommend Steve highly enough.

I admit to being nervous in advance because we had a 4 year old and I wasn't sure if it was a younger person drinking scene but it absolutely was not! Maya Chan was going to be quite expensive for 5 of us ($270) - at Tropicante, you pay for what you eat, drink, do at very reasonable prices.

I read other reviews about Maya Chan and decided to give it a try. I traveled with a large group. There was 14-20 of us plus others from our cruise and cruise critic group. We reserved our space months ago and even added some late booked family. The start of our cruise was a bit rainy and some ports our time there was just ho-hum. When we left the ship very early it was chilly and overcast. By the time we got to Maya Chan the sun had come out and was warming up. We were greeted as soon as we arrived, guided to our reserved area. They gave us rum punch & fresh fruit cups. We were told of the different activities and told of massages available at a cost. I have to tell you this was the best day of our cruise!! The staff was very attentive, Hugo would wade into the water to cater to the prince & princesses in the floating chairs. In my section we had our own little hut with our bartender (David, whose family owns resort), as well as very clean bathrooms. The attendants would come around with baskets of chips with homemade guacamole and salsa….the best salsa i have ever tasted!! Then they fed us lunch which was excellent!! Grilled steak, chicken and fish. beans & rice and a great soup. Four in my group went kayaking and there was just overall fun to be had. EVERYONE, AND I MEAN EVERYONE IN OUR GROUP SAID THEY HAD THE BEST TIME EVER! and that is not an easy achievement. I wanted to meet Mark (the owner, but he was not there) to chat with him; he made the whole booking process very easy and helpful with booking & paying for our reservation. I have to say, if you are going to Costa Maya you HAVE to reserve a spot here! Make sure you reserve early because it can book up fast, I believe they only have a 40 guest limit.

I ended up booking with MayaChan. It is a $60 deposit but since this is the first time to this port I was more comfortable booking with them. We are going in Feb on Celebrity Solstice. I believe there will be two ships in port that day.

I have to tell you, i left Maya Chan last week. it was the best excursion of our cruise. with many rainy days on our cruise and some ports not having much to do that wasnt costly. this place was the best. the crew was attentive, food was good. nice relaxing place. i assure you will not have a problem and you will love it. i went with a group of over 20 and not one person was displeased!! enjoy

We went ther twice- one was a sunny day, so lots of water activity plus great food and drink, the other day there had been a storm, so the water was a little murky- not good for snorkling and it became a social day- what a great time- we had a blast and a little too much to drink- the fact that I made it back to the ship is proof that God wants me in Ohio. The people at Maya Chan treat you very well. We've kept in contact because Mark, Jane, David, and their staff are wonderful people and born hosts.