Can I get a quick comparison between Cunard and either Royal Caribbean or Celebrity?

caymancouple

Hi, I have an opportunity to do a 7 day New York to Southhaptom on the Queen Mary 2, but I have to give an answer quickly. We are half way to Elite plus on Celebrity, and Diamond Plus on Royal. If you have done both, can you give me a quick comparison?

Thanks

First off - a crossing is a very different voyage than a cruise. And with so many sea days, it's useful to be on a ship designed for the route with most of the attention directed to activities in the public rooms.

The atmosphere on Cunard is VERY traditional. There's a veneer of classic luxury, but at heart, it's a big premium mass-market ship. Directly comparable to HAL, Princess, P&O, and Celebrity.

We were disappointed on a Celebrity Infinity cruise around the horn a few years ago, both by the actual items served and the overstretched staff. We found the menus and promises didn't align with the actual product that was delivered. Cunard's Britannia menu was the exact opposite. Classic "country club" menus which were well executed and served by well-trained staff.

There is also no comparison to the afternoon tea in the Queens Room or simply the experience of sipping a perfect martini while charging through 30 ft seas on the only passenger ship designed for it, as the whistle (horn) from the original Queen Mary blasts through the fog.

Hi, I have an opportunity to do a 7 day New York to Southhaptom on the Queen Mary 2, but I have to give an answer quickly. We are half way to Elite plus on Celebrity, and Diamond Plus on Royal. If you have done both, can you give me a quick comparison?

Thanks

OK, I'll give it a whirl: I've not done RCCL. I do know they are much more lax in the dress codes. That's what makes Cunard stick out..Adherence to a style of dress. If you fail to follow the code, you may very well find yourself restricted to 1 or 2 bars, the buffet, but little else. On formal nights a tux is standard, but a dark suit is fine. You're expected to wear a suit coat(tie optional) even on informal nights. If this appeals to you, then enjoy your trip. If not then I strongly suggest another line. If you've cruised on the Eclipse during their 14 day trips, they are pretty close to Cunard in their dress style.(we've done 3 cruises so far) Food is a little better on Cunard(except the Grills, where it's outstanding) Food on the Eclipse(until this year) was pretty close. This time around it was a big letdown. The pax on the Eclipse are quite similar to those on Cunard. I hope it helps a bit. I'd give Cunard a try. It's really quite different overall from what you might be used to. I'me sure you'll get plenty of info. from others as well.

Thanks

Having sailed with all three of those cruise lines I'd say there can be NO comparison. Cunard do it in style.

I've cruised with NCL/MSC and last summer I took my first Cunard cruise on the queen Victoria. Completely agree that they can't be compared!

I am 23 so my the traditional Cunard passenger, I did really enjoy the cruise but there were so many things that nobody told me about and when I got back I was thinking 'why did nobody tell me those things'?

Things like the fact that the room service is free and the dress code is ship wide after 6pm (not just in the restaurants).

Although I really did enjoy my cruise I'm not sure that I would chose to cruise with Cunard again. I wrote a post here detailing the things I wish I had known before my first Cunard cruise; http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/06/8-things-you-should-know-before-cruising-with-cunard/

Hope that's of help to you! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have not sailed with RCI, but feel Celebrity is on a downward run now the dress code has been relaxed. Also, when on board you have this feeling that there are many who are going to make the most of the "free" drinks package, come what may! The atmosphere on a Cunard ship is so much more genteel.

Thanks

You should take the opportunity you have been offered, doing a Cunard Transatlantic is different than any other voyage you may have taken. Queen Mary 2 is a liner not a cruise ship, built for crossing the Atlantic.

I found RCI to be a fun ship with lots of children running around , Celebriry, I liked but I have been informed they have scrapped the formal evenings, that is me finished with Celebrity, I think when you go out for dinner it is something special and an effort should be made, us men look like penguins (never had a reason to wear a tuxedo before) and the ladies look great, not turning up in Jean, T-shirt, Shorts and Trainers ,Regardless of the weather, always lots going on, the library is the largest on the high seas, large dance floor and who knows you may love it, and join the many thousands of Americans who are Cunard regulars.

Just go with a open mind and enjoy.;p

Thanks

Being a Z on C, P on RC, and D on Cunard one can speak from a position of knowledge.

In précis; happy with the whole Cunard experience, and despite the benefits of P and Z, there will be no going back.

Hi,

I have sailed with all three of these lines multiple times: 21 times on Royal Caribbean, 17 times on Cunard, and 8 times on Celebrity. I obviously like all three lines, but Cunard offers a very different and traditional experience. People follow the dress code in the evening. The daily activities include a variety of interesting lectures rather than games near the pool. As mentioned above, the afternoon tea is excellent. Also, I have always been pleased with the dining room and evening entertainment. Dinner in the main dining room is traditional (first or second seating with the same tablemates each evening). However, you can also have dinner in the Kings Court or Verandah. The QM2 looks great after its "re-mastering" last year. The Cunard passengers tend to be older, but they usually are very-well traveled and interesting. I always have a wonderful time talking to the other passengers. Cunard has a wonderful history and sense of tradition.

The QM2 is my favorite ship. Most recently, I did a seven-day Canada/New England cruise in late September 2016 and a segment of the World Cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore in April 2017.

As long as you are willing to bring the formal clothes for the evenings, I highly recommend trying a transatlantic crossing on the QM2.

Chuck

Hello!

I'm most comfortable on Cunard but enjoy Celebrity too. Cunard is more formal and "British" ( yes, in inverted commas!) while Celebrity is friendlier and American. This includes the meals and entertainment. Doing a crossing on QM2 is quite different from cruising to ports and she is purpose built for it. (Though they now run her more slowly to save on fuel and also, I suspect, to avoid issues with her propulsion pods.) You not only unpack once but you also only get on once! Cunard have really good lecturers to fill those sea days. With no long shore excursions to rush back from, you can look forward to tea every afternoon, and afternoon tea in the Queen's Room is iconic.

My take on the three lines:

Cunard: very traditional; formal dress is formal; outstanding in terms of lectures and daytime entertainment activities; friendly group of passengers with a nice mix of (mostly) American and British passengers; food is excellent (but buffet is confusing and below par); great library

Celebrity: very nice ships; good entertainment and nice facilities; nice choices for specialty dining and main dining room food is above average

Royal Caribbean: more choices for activities on board (rock climbing, wave rider -- at least on the big ships); food average but some good specialty restaurants; fun cruise

The real difference between the three lines in my opinion are the passengers: Cunard has older seasoned passengers who are well-traveled and very friendly; few children; Celebrity has a great mix of passengers in terms of ages, with more families, but still 40-60 is the general age range; passengers are primarily American and a lot of repeat cruisers; Royal Caribbean has more children and young adults; a more lively atmosphere; more active.

Thanks

By going on the Queen Mary you are crossing the Atlantic on a true liner and not just a cruise ship. QM is the only liner in the world at the moment.

I've cruised with NCL/MSC and last summer I took my first Cunard cruise on the queen Victoria. Completely agree that they can't be compared!

I am 23 so my the traditional Cunard passenger, I did really enjoy the cruise but there were so many things that nobody told me about and when I got back I was thinking 'why did nobody tell me those things'?

Things like the fact that the room service is free and the dress code is ship wide after 6pm (not just in the restaurants).

Although I really did enjoy my cruise I'm not sure that I would chose to cruise with Cunard again. I wrote a post here detailing the things I wish I had known before my first Cunard cruise; http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/06/8-things-you-should-know-before-cruising-with-cunard/

I read your post and I am surprised you did not know:

1) You have a set meal time and a set table

2) The dress code for formal nights is strict and informal nights are still pretty formal.

3) The dress code includes most public places after 6pm

These things are clearly spelled out on Cunard's website and are probably the things that people either love or hate about Cunard.

Your next 2 items are not as obvious:

4) 24 hour room service – and its free!!

5) There is a laundry on board – and its free!!

Your next item is absolutely true, but impossible to know (or believe), until you experience Cunard.

6) Cunard ships are quiet

I do not agree with item 7:

7) Mostly aimed at the older generation

Although it is probably true that a higher percentage of Baby Boomers might prefer Cunard over the Millennials, Cunard will appeal to anyone who likes the manners and culture demonstrated in Downton Abbey and similar productions.

Your last item is not quite correct:

8) No corkage fee

In my experience you can bring as much wine on as you can carry (I routinely start a voyage with six bottles), but if you want to drink that wine at dinner there is a corkage fee ($20, I think). But even that is sometimes waived. After purchasing wine for several days in the dinning room I brought a bottle to dinner one night. Our waiter discreetly took the bottle from me before we got to out table. The sommelier served it as if it was from the Cunard cellar, but the corkage fee never appeared on our bill.I assume that was because we only did it once and bought wine from him at every other meal.

My new TA is a cruise expert, but she had never booked on Cunard before. She was impressed with the pre-voyage documentation and asked me what we like about Cunard. It is probably the culture of sophistication and gentleness that is so lacking in today's culture.

One last thing about the dress code... I will never forget the night my wife and saw Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theater in London. A friend had arranged for us to sit in the first row. We were dressed up and started the evening in the bar under the stage area. Everything was great until we found our seats. Sitting next to us were Americans wearing ball caps, t-shirts and jeans. Yes, their attire downgraded our experience.

I read your post and I am surprised you did not know:

1) You have a set meal time and a set table

2) The dress code for formal nights is strict and informal nights are still pretty formal.

3) The dress code includes most public places after 6pm

These things are clearly spelled out on Cunard's website and are probably the things that people either love or hate about Cunard.

Your next 2 items are not as obvious:

4) 24 hour room service – and its free!!

5) There is a laundry on board – and its free!!

Your next item is absolutely true, but impossible to know (or believe), until you experience Cunard.

6) Cunard ships are quiet

I do not agree with item 7:

7) Mostly aimed at the older generation

Although it is probably true that a higher percentage of Baby Boomers might prefer Cunard over the Millennials, Cunard will appeal to anyone who likes the manners and culture demonstrated in Downton Abbey and similar productions.

Your last item is not quite correct:

8) No corkage fee

In my experience you can bring as much wine on as you can carry (I routinely start a voyage with six bottles), but if you want to drink that wine at dinner there is a corkage fee ($20, I think). But even that is sometimes waived. After purchasing wine for several days in the dinning room I brought a bottle to dinner one night. Our waiter discreetly took the bottle from me before we got to out table. The sommelier served it as if it was from the Cunard cellar, but the corkage fee never appeared on our bill.I assume that was because we only did it once and bought wine from him at every other meal.

My new TA is a cruise expert, but she had never booked on Cunard before. She was impressed with the pre-voyage documentation and asked me what we like about Cunard. It is probably the culture of sophistication and gentleness that is so lacking in today's culture.

One last thing about the dress code... I will never forget the night my wife and saw Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theater in London. A friend had arranged for us to sit in the first row. We were dressed up and started the evening in the bar under the stage area. Everything was great until we found our seats. Sitting next to us were Americans wearing ball caps, t-shirts and jeans. Yes, their attire downgraded our experience.

Thanks for such a detailed reply! I cruised with family so I didn't book the cruise, I knew that Cunard would be 'fancy' but nethertheless coming from a mainly NCL background it was a surprise! I probably wouldn't have picked Cunard if I was cruising alone.

I agree about 1, I did know that. About point 2 I honestly thought 'informal' meant 'informal' not 'nearly as formal but you may take off your bow tie'

I'm really surprised you don't agree with number 7. The daily schedule was full of ballroom dancing and the dj was called 'dj graham' which summed up the whole thing to me ha ha.

Interesting to know about the corkage fee! I only brought on wine to drink on my balcony so was not aware about the charge with dinner, I'll update the post. Thank you.

That experience at theatre does sound dreadful!

Good thing we all like different things really, thanks again for reading the article. I do like talking to people who think differently to me :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...One last thing about the dress code... I will never forget the night my wife and saw Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theater in London. A friend had arranged for us to sit in the first row. We were dressed up and started the evening in the bar under the stage area. Everything was great until we found our seats. Sitting next to us were Americans wearing ball caps, t-shirts and jeans. Yes, their attire downgraded our experience.

That's pretty much how I feel about those who won't honor the dress code - the rude downgrade the experience for others. Yet there are some here who instead would admonish us for "worrying about how other people dress". As if we're the ones at fault, not the miscreants.

Caymancouple, I'll be interested to know if the comments you've received have been helpful in making your decision, and whether you are now planning to do this voyage.

The discussion has certainly made me wish I were going again!

Eleteace - One more dress code story...

Our first voyage on Cunard was about 15 years ago. Southampton to NY with another couple. We had a table for six.

QE2 was more formal then. As I recall men were expected to wear coat and tie on the two "informal" nights (first and last).

The first night out the conversation turned to what the women were going to wear on the four (yes 4), formal nights. The 3rd couple were shocked to learn that there was a dress code at all. We never saw them again during the entire crossing. I assume they either used room service or ate in the Lido (I think that was what the buffet was called in those days).

Caymancouple, I'll be interested to know if the comments you've received have been helpful in making your decision, and whether you are now planning to do this voyage.

The discussion has certainly made me wish I were going again!

Yes, they were. I posted this question on the Cunard, Royal, and Celebrity thread. Read each. We decided not to book. My husband said he was looking for someone to talk about the ship.... wood, beautiful, tasteful, old world decor...not really any mention of that... so we are going to pass on going.

I do sincerely thank everyone for their comments.

Yes, they were. I posted this question on the Cunard, Royal, and Celebrity thread. Read each. We decided not to book. My husband said he was looking for someone to talk about the ship.... wood, beautiful, tasteful, old world decor...not really any mention of that... so we are going to pass on going.

I do sincer:confused:ely thank everyone for their comments.

Your loss.

We have crossed on the QM2 (twice) and Celebrity Eclipse once.

- imo Celebrity Eclipse was a very enjoyable cruise - QM2 was a travel experience !

Try it - I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

I do sincerely thank everyone for their comments.

My recommendation is that next time you want to know a ship, you should ask for comparison about specific ships, and not about cruise lines in general.

There can be some major differences even within a specific cruise lines -- e.g. Royal Caribbean's Radiance Class vs Oasis Class.

And if you wanted to know about the decor you mention it in your original post.

There are lots of photographs of QM2 in one of the stickies at the top of the board.

I'm glad we helped to stop you making a mistake if you think you wouldn't have enjoyed a crossing on QM2.