First Class Lunch-Delta

kelkel2

For our cruise we recieced a offer to upgrade to first class, so of course we accepted. We found out that on the second leg of our trip from MSP to MIA we get a lunch served. Does anyone know what we could expect for lunch? It really doesn't make or break our flight as far as the meal goes, we really just didn't know what to expect.

I flew delta first class last month fro SLC to CVG and I can tell you the lunch offering is pitiful.:( This is on an airbus 320. I do this route twice a year and it is always the same. They offer a salad with a cold chicken breast on the side that you must cut up or a heated turkey/cheese sandwich in a specialty bread. I always take the salad. It is served with tomato/basil soup that is quite good. It came with sliced fruit and a Moose Tracks cookie and bread sticks with the salad and chips with the sandwich.

You will be offered a drink...I just drink water. Dinner isn't much better.....first time I have ever seen male business travelers ordering Chinese chicken salad over pasta. The sea salt Moose Tracks brownie was terrible....a salty brownie? Yuk.

It is not the same fare as you get in business elite on an international flight.

You will enjoy a comfortable seat... congrats on the upgrade offer and Sky Priority line!:)

Karen

Eh it doesn't sound horrible...But it is at least a free meal.

Yes I am most excited about the Priority line because our originating airport is Midway. That will be most helpful in the early AM.

My most recent First Class flights on Delta that included a Lunch were ATL-LGA and ATL-LAX. A salad with sliced chicken was an option, which I chose on both flights and was satisfied. There were other items included; I don't recall the details, sorry. But, both lunches were quite satisfactory and the salads on both flights were of very ample size. Gourmet lunches; certainly not. But, I was pleased with the quality and quantity.

I do recall on one flight that there was a pasta alternative; I do not recall on the other what the alternative was; it may well have been a hot sandwich.

In my opinion, Delta does a very good job in First Class for breakfast. Two choices: a cold cereal, etc, choice and a hot egg/omelet choice. As long as the Flight Attendant keeps the omelet properly covered and not heated too long, it is very good.

kelkel2, just like food on a cruise ship, food on a flight is extremely subjective. I also follow the flyertalk board linked above. If you don't believe me, just do some reading on the United board over there. The whining is deafening...

The sea salt Moose Tracks brownie was terrible....a salty brownie? Yuk.

I haven't had that particular item, but generally speaking many people find the chocolate/salt combo (or generic sweet/salty combo) to be quite tasty. Salted caramels, chocolate covered pretzels, sea salt dark chocolate candies, etc. The DL first class snack basket recently started including some salted dark chocolate caramel chews that are delish!

kelkel2, just like food on a cruise ship, food on a flight is extremely subjective. I also follow the flyertalk board linked above. If you don't believe me, just do some reading on the United board over there. The whining is deafening...

Oh I could only imagine....

Especially if you frequently fly First and have noticed changes...

We actually are celebrating an anniversary, so when the opportunity arised to upgrade I jumped on it. We are just happy to not have to wait in line and eat at a fast food place or an overpriced restaurant in the Terminal. Especially given the timing of our flight. The second leg of the flight is leaving around 10am ish. Meaning that we are in the air most of lunch time. We really aren't that picky. But neither of us have flown First before. My husband started asking what they served and I honestly had no idea what to tell him.

You also have the option of ordering a "special" meal although there is no guarantee that it will make it to your flight.

You can find the selections on Delta's web site, everything from vegan to Hindi to kosher. Some of these offerings are far better than the almost cardboard chicken salad.

Don't know when your cruise is but do monitor your Delta reservation from time to time. Schedule changes generally occur over weekends.

Your best choice for your aircraft cabin will be rows 2 or 3. If there is an equipment change these rows are available on every large Delta jet. You will also have both overhead and underseat storage which is not available on row 1.

Enjoy your special trip from start to finish.

You also have the option of ordering a "special" meal although there is no guarantee that it will make it to your flight.

You can find the selections on Delta's web site, everything from vegan to Hindi to kosher. Some of these offerings are far better than the almost cardboard chicken salad.

Don't know when your cruise is but do monitor your Delta reservation from time to time. Schedule changes generally occur over weekends.

Your best choice for your aircraft cabin will be rows 2 or 3. If there is an equipment change these rows are available on every large Delta jet. You will also have both overhead and underseat storage which is not available on row 1.

Enjoy your special trip from start to finish.

Funny you posted this, just woke up to an email telling us of a schedule change. We had row 2 booked. Still in row 2 thankfully. But they changed us from an Airbus to an Embraer 175. I'm guessing they didn't need that big of a plan for this flight? Who knows. Little disappointing due to the amenities because I don't even think their are power outlets on the plane we were switched to. Not the end of the world really, but I do prefer to charge on the plane if possible vs. at the airport. It's a short flight though. Shouldn't be a big deal.

We really aren't that picky. But neither of us have flown First before. My husband started asking what they served and I honestly had no idea what to tell him.

Generally speaking, here's what you can expect flying first on a domestic flight with Delta:

You will usually be offered a pre-departure beverage in a plastic cup.

Once in flight, the FA will again do a beverage service, this time with real glassware, and offer a selection from the snack basket. The offerings in the basket have been changing a lot lately, but typically will include pretzels, peanuts, Biscoffs, Cape Cod chips, bananas, granola bars, and some to-die-for dark chocolate sea salt chewy candy things.

Lunch service will follow, since your flight is long enough to offer this.

There will be at least 1 or depending on the aircraft maybe 2 FA's dedicated to the first class cabin, so service is usually prompt, and getting additional beverages is not the wait that it sometimes is in economy.

Generally speaking, here's what you can expect flying first on a domestic flight with Delta:

You will usually be offered a pre-departure beverage in a plastic cup.

Once in flight, the FA will again do a beverage service, this time with real glassware, and offer a selection from the snack basket. The offerings in the basket have been changing a lot lately, but typically will include pretzels, peanuts, Biscoffs, Cape Cod chips, bananas, granola bars, and some to-die-for dark chocolate sea salt chewy candy things.

Lunch service will follow, since your flight is long enough to offer this.

There will be at least 1 or depending on the aircraft maybe 2 FA's dedicated to the first class cabin, so service is usually prompt, and getting additional beverages is not the wait that it sometimes is in economy.

Thank you!!!

Funny you posted this, just woke up to an email telling us of a schedule change. We had row 2 booked. Still in row 2 thankfully. But they changed us from an Airbus to an Embraer 175. I'm guessing they didn't need that big of a plan for this flight? Who knows. Little disappointing due to the amenities because I don't even think their are power outlets on the plane we were switched to. Not the end of the world really, but I do prefer to charge on the plane if possible vs. at the airport. It's a short flight though. Shouldn't be a big deal.

That is disappointing. I would be asking for the upgrade money back and would switch to economy comfort. First on this plane type is nothing special.

Here's the differences between and A319/320 and the E-170/175

Seat width: 21" on the Airbus, 20" on the Embraer

Seat pitch: 36" on the Airbus, 37" on the Embraer

Neither has power ports or IFE. Both have GoGo wifi internet.

Less overhead bin space in F on the Embraer, but then there are only 9 F seats vs the 12 in the Airbus.

Had the flight been a downgrade from an international configured A330 or 767 to an A320, perhaps I'd be upset. But this, to me, is more of a wash. In fact, with only 9 in F, you get pretty attentive service there. Far better than some DL aircraft.

That is disappointing. I would be asking for the upgrade money back and would switch to economy comfort. First on this plane type is nothing special.

It's a short flight, no biggie it's only from Chicago to MSP on the first leg. The long flight of our trip is from MSP to Mia. That is on an MD 90. Any insight on this aircraft?

I won't say how much we paid to upgrade, but it was very little. We had originally booked economy and on my delta iPhone app I had an upgrade offer and it was so inexpensive I couldn't pass it up! :)

MD-90 will be close to the Embraer in seat dimension. You still wont have IFE, but you will have 110v power at your seats.

One thing you will want to do is get a map of MSP in your brain, so you can make the easiest connections. Sometimes, the easiest is not the most apparent. You can think of much of the airport as a big rectangle. For example, there is a moving walkway along the length of the G concourse, while the same thing on the parallel C concourse has both a moving walkway AND a tram. In addition, there is a moving walkway in the connector between G and C, while making the parallel trip through the terminal has no walkway (but it does have shops/food outlets). Often, it's easier to use the connector even though it looks like a longer trip.

Finally, if you are condemned to a gate on the F concourse, there is NO walkway on that stretch of gates.

MD-90 will be close to the Embraer in seat dimension. You still wont have IFE, but you will have 110v power at your seats.

One thing you will want to do is get a map of MSP in your brain, so you can make the easiest connections. Sometimes, the easiest is not the most apparent. You can think of much of the airport as a big rectangle. For example, there is a moving walkway along the length of the G concourse, while the same thing on the parallel C concourse has both a moving walkway AND a tram. In addition, there is a moving walkway in the connector between G and C, while making the parallel trip through the terminal has no walkway (but it does have shops/food outlets). Often, it's easier to use the connector even though it looks like a longer trip.

Finally, if you are condemned to a gate on the F concourse, there is NO walkway on that stretch of gates.

thanks for the tip. It's for sure an interesting layout....We have an hour and a half there s hopefully plenty of time in case one gets turned around :)

My wife and I are flying FC from HNL-ATL-MLI in Oct. I have not flown FC in probably 25years. We leave at around 4:15pm and arrive ATL at 7:00EST on a A330 in row 5. I actually purchased the these tickets because it is our 10 yr anniversary as a treat. I am used to cattle class.

Up front, an A330 is an entirely different experience than single-aisle aircraft. First off, if you are a couple that wants to interact during the flight, be sure to pick up a pair of middle seats. Even then, you will be angled with your feet towards each other, but with your heads separated. Better than the reverse which you find on the 777.

You will have the international business class seat. This is a fully lie-flat bed, so you should be able to get a good sleep. Inflight service is likely to be more along the lines of domestic first, rather than international business, but still should make the overnight flight quite palatable.