Question re: Stopover/Baggage

Newbcruiser1

Hello all,

I will be flying on my first connecting flight (somehow I've always been able to fly direct!) this summer. I'm flying Alaska Airlines and American Airlines from Anchorage to Toronto via Chicago. I booked the whole thing on one ticket via Expedia, and the AA flight seems to be code-shared between the two airlines.

So my stupid questions which are for those with similar flight experiences (domestic followed by international flights):

Will I need to check in for both flights separately when doing online check-in?

I assume I'll pay for my checked bag once only in Anchorage, correct? Will it be checked straight through to Toronto or will I have to claim and re-check it in Chicago for the second leg as its international?

And upon landing in Chicago, would I remain in the secure area and simply move on to the gate of my next flight?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the newbie questions!

You check in with the airline who actually owns the plane you are flying on. If it is two different airlines for the various flights in this route, you usually check in with the airline you are flying on. So you might checkin with Alaska for the first flight to Chicago, then with American from Chicago to Toronto. This can be done 24 hours in advance, to collect your boarding passes.

If the entire flight is on one ticket, you will check your bag in Anchorage, and not see it until Toronto.

Many times partners will check you in for their partners flights. I know Alaska Air gives me a boarding pass for my Delta flights. So I would not be surprised if they could give you a boarding pass for your American Airlines flight.

Edited by frugaltravel

As to leaving security or not in Chicago ... you can stay airside to make your connection, ax both AA and AS are in terminal 3. Alaska Airlines flights land in the L concourse, either gate L8 or L10, and the gate for your Toronto flight should be no more than a leisurely 8-10 minute walk. If Alaska Airlines is unable to print your AA boarding pass, look for a self-checkin kiosk ... or ask the Toronto flight gate agent to print it for you. AA kiosks are at gates H1 and K6 ... there are others, but I don't recall the exact location.

Thanks everyone for the information! Very helpful!

Just to clarify, if I do online check-in (from a friend's cell phone), will I need to check in separately for each flight? And since I won't have access to a printer, I know Alaska Airlines should be able to print my boarding pass at the airport - if they can't print my AA boarding pass, are the self-serve kiosks available in the secure area of the airport?

At ANC, there are self-serve AS kiosks where you can get a copy of your boarding passes. This would be done before you drop off your luggage.

Also, just as a point of reference, be careful with your use of the term "stopover". In airline parlance, "stopover" has a very specific meaning and it is NOT the same as a "connection" (which I believe is what you have). Stopover means that your two flights are connecting outside the usual time window and that your fare is broken into separate elements. It is unlikely to be of significant concern on this trip, but the unknowing use of "stopover" to mean "connection" could cause issues down the road.