Spirit 15 Days~Hawaii: A Review

halos

I agree with my sister :) that it wasn't the worst as far as rough seas go...but unlike her, I do get motion sickness so I was popping Bonine on two days...the first say when it was 'bouncy' and when we were full speed ahead making up time.

The Bonine woked great (as always)

They did have barf bags out for a good portion of the sailing. :eek:

Yes, I'm sure your lil sis would say the same thing, but this is your lil BIL speaking. BIL's account disappeared due to disagreement with moderating team. :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting on the underwater camera to be developed with the dolphin swim pics. If there are any good ones I'll photobucket them for you.

I was on this sailing with halos.

I didn't find the ocean uncomfortable other than the first day...but that was most likely down to jetlag, lack of sleep etc.

On the way back we were pushed for time to make the stop at Ensenada so the ship was full steam ahead, and that meant it was less calm than we'd have otherwise experienced.

Overall, though, not bad at all, but that's just my opinion.

I agree...it was bouncy....but one Bonine a day did the trick.

It wasn't as bad as some of the Caribbean cruises we have been on.

Wow am I late; 10 pages later....

Great review, Angel !!! Loved the detail, loved the pictures, loved the honesty - everything! :)

Question: I know you indicated that you did not go to Ensenada after all. How did they manage to get around the foreign port requirement?

Good question :)

We arrived 'close' to Ensenada midnight-ish or something (I was fast asleep). A small boat arrived with a person who had necessary paperwork that then was all filled out etc....bologna if you ask me :p In signing whatever documents, that basically met the requirement that by law was necessary. I really didn't care or pay attention. 'Our' cruise (meaning Bill & I) didn't change a bit. We had no plans to get off in Ensenada. I am sad that someone was ill though. No one wants to contemplate that while cruising. From what I understand they are OK now though, thank goodness.

I'm still waiting on the underwater camera to be developed with the dolphin swim pics. If there are any good ones I'll photobucket them for you.

Much appreciated, thank you!!!!!

ing. BIL's account disappeared due to disagreement with moderating team.

What?? They don't appreciate your dry, British wit???? :p

Edited by halos

This was a great adventure cruise. Even my mom, at 75 years, liked the 3 monkey's drink. Thank you to Sis of Halo's.

She even did the copter's in Kauwai. Plus Luau @ Old LaHaina. she liked her hula boy!

We, wife and I, enjoyed all that was offered and created fun with all our new freinds.

This was a great adventure cruise. Even my mom, at 75 years, liked the 3 monkey's drink. Thank you to Sis of Halo's.

Everyone seemed to love it ..it was REALLY good. BUT Karen's original drink was even far better than what they were mixing and selling, which was a lousy replica.

Discussing this with DW and getting closer to deciding to do this.

Question that I am somewhat hesitant to ask but figure I am among friends.

Overall how much would I need to budget for two for 5 days of nice private type tours of each island?

Just a ballpark estimate would be great. Obviously tours are going to be much more expensive than the Caribbean ones we are used to.

Also temperature wise is it best to go in the spring or fall and avoid the summer?

Thanks so much for your help.

Discussing this with DW and getting closer to deciding to do this.

Question that I am somewhat hesitant to ask but figure I am among friends.

Overall how much would I need to budget for two for 5 days of nice private type tours of each island?

Just a ballpark estimate would be great. Obviously tours are going to be much more expensive than the Caribbean ones we are used to.

Also temperature wise is it best to go in the spring or fall and avoid the summer?

Thanks so much for your help.

Tours ran from 2 hour whale watch @ $30 pp (cheap) to helicopter tour and wild dolphin swim being approx $185 pp, The Luau was about $100 pp (open bar included)...keep in mind if you book anything through the cruise line it will cost almost double.

They say temps in Hawaii run basically the same all year round, you have to research when it is rainy season (which I think is Nov-ish?? Not sure). I found it cooler than I'd have liked. Mother Nature is pretty much screwed up these days...who knows when it's best to go anywhere anymore???? :confused:

IF I were to go back, I'd go in Jan or Feb just for the whales :D

Edited by halos

Golfadj,

Someone on our Roll Call in Sept. arranged Germaine's luau in Honolulu and it is $59pp and includes 3 drink coupons...I haven't looked into the different luau locations, but it seemed reasonable to me.

Myself and friends have rented a car in Hilo, first day of Maui (doing Road to Hana), and Kuaui...that is always an option also. There are several driving tours on the internet, but we are definitely doing VNP from Hilo. I still need to do some research on Kuaui.

I can report back once I get back in late October from Australia.

LHP...one day we will meet up. Missed you in Grand Cayman when I was with Ann and Gale on Elation Panama Canal in 2010, and missed you on this one, when I switched cruises...LOL!

Edited by crzndeb

My BIL won 5 ships on a stick

:D:D

Charlie, have you built a shelf for them yet?? LMAO!!!

If we win our bowling league (final is tomorrow night) I promised I'd build our partners a Stanley Cup-type trophy. I'm thinking of how I could use those ships to add a little glitz and glamour to the trophy. :D

if we win our bowling league (final is tomorrow night) i promised i'd build our partners a stanley cup-type trophy. I'm thinking of how i could use those ships to add a little glitz and glamour to the trophy. :d

lol!

I really enjoyed your review. I have done a land tour of Hawaii but would love to do this cruise. I also really like the Spirit!!!

Thank you :) It's a great cruise if you enjoy sea days :)

Edited by halos

Tours ran from 2 hour whale watch @ $30 pp (cheap) to helicopter tour and wild dolphin swim being approx $185 pp, The Luau was about $100 pp (open bar included)...keep in mind if you book anything through the cruise line it will cost almost double.

They say temps in Hawaii run basically the same all year round, you have to research when it is rainy season (which I think is Nov-ish?? Not sure). I found it cooler than I'd have liked. Mother Nature is pretty much screwed up these days...who knows when it's best to go anywhere anymore???? :confused:

IF I were to go back, I'd go in Jan or Feb just for the whales :D

So if we allow $ 500 pp for private tours we should be fine. Thanks so much Halos for the info.

So if we allow $ 500 pp for private tours we should be fine. Thanks so much Halos for the info.

Give or take ;)

You're very welcome Stu :)

Edited by halos

Great review Halos! Thanks so much for taking the time to post it.

I believe I have added yet another cruise to my so called bucket list thanks to you:D

I'm happy to contribute to the stimulation of the economy by putting a dent in your wallet. :D

Wanna put another dent in your wallet and sail on the Epic with us? I'm thinking of a repeat:D

If you're planning fall of 2013 I am SO in...but anything before that, no can do :(

Well, actually YES!!!

:D :D Seriously?????

Good. I'll buy a FCC on my upcoming and ease my dh into this.... :p

wooohooo!!!!

Do you have a time in mind (month, week??) I have to start recruiting people!!! :D

Edited by halos

:D :D Seriously?????

Good. I'll buy a FCC on my upcoming and ease my dh into this.... :p

wooohooo!!!!

Do you have a time in mind (month, week??) I have to start recruiting people!!! :D

Absolutely serious! I haven't really decided on month or date yet but I know it WILL be in late 2013.

Let's do it!!!! Think we can convince Don, Tom and Cheryl for another go?

If we win our bowling league (final is tomorrow night) I promised I'd build our partners a Stanley Cup-type trophy. I'm thinking of how I could use those ships to add a little glitz and glamour to the trophy. :D

How about this? We use it as a traveling trophy for nascar fantasy league

232323232%7Ffp733%3B5%3Enu%3D3283%3E957%3E2%3A9%3EWSNRCG%3D35%3B57298%3B632%3Bnu0mrj

Edited by bazarr2