Salem, MA as a HAL CruisePport?

sail7seas

Some years ago, I heard mention of HAL considering going into Salem, MA (probably as an alternative to Boston) but have not heard anything recently. Anyone heard any news about them possibly doing that?

If you're into this stuff, the project engineer's report on the port development project is interesting reading. It sounds like they got started on the project and completed the first phase in the summer of 2013 but did not have the funding to go any further.

http://www.salem.com/pages/salemma_dpcd/studiesreports/NPC.pdf

Thank you for the link.

It would be fun to have HAL pull in there. I know they went to Gloucester a few

times but haven't seen that in an itinerary for at least 3 or so years.

Would it be easy for people to fly there?

Or would people have to still fly into Boston and then travel to Salem?

I'm pretty sure it would be a port of call and not a departure port. Anyone heard differently?

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

Would it be easy for people to fly there?

Or would people have to still fly into Boston and then travel to Salem?

By car/taxi, Salem is about 30 minutes from Boston's Logan..... maybe even a bit faster. As always, depends upon traffic/construction etc

There likely would be buses available.

Edited by sail7seas

By car/taxi, Salem is about 30 minutes from Boston's Logan..... maybe even a bit faster. As always, depends upon traffic/construction etc

There likely would be buses available.

Wouldn't be interested in a bus -- especially since they always have to wait until the bus is filled.

Maybe a limo service.

Wouldn't be interested in a bus -- especially since they always have to wait until the bus is filled.

Maybe a limo service.

A car service would be perfect as would a taxi.

It isn't so far from Logan Airport to make a taxi ridiculously costly.

I wouldn't be on the bus but cannot speak for anyone else. Just offering it as a choice.

I can see it as a port of call but it seems silly as an embarkation port. They would have to convince other cruise lines to use to port and then they have to be sure that there are enough hotel rooms and restaurants to serve the large numbers of passengers on a cruise ship. All this for something that will be used for only a short part of the year, a time that is already their high tourist time.

There is also another thread about port Canaveral which has the facilities and use already, but some people pointed out the distance from a major airport, the same problem with Salem.

Since it is so close to Boston and apparently easy to get to I think that if some has the burning desire to see Salem they can do so either pre or post cruise.

Probably one of the better uses would be in a round trip out of New York with something like Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Saint John, Salem, New York. I think that would be awesome, although HAL sounds down on New York. Come to think of it I'd love that out of Baltimore on the Grandeur OTS.

Roy

Probably one of the better uses would be in a round trip out of New York with something like Boston, Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Saint John, Salem, New York. I think that would be awesome, although HAL sounds down on New York. Come to think of it I'd love that out of Baltimore on the Grandeur OTS.

Roy

Interesting selection, but I'd love to see St. John's instead of Saint John or Sydney. I wouldn't be adverse to an overnighter there too.

Does HAL still go to Newport? Been a long time since we sailed there but it's a wonderful port.

The Eurodam's NY-Quebec City-NY fall trips stop there (well has the past few years, never looked at the specific itinerary for this year but I assume it does). It's a good stop but the tendering is an issue sometimes with sailing school activities I know.

I'd love to see a big-ship cruise that cobbled all those little "oddball" ports together: St. John's, Corner Brook, Gloucester, Rockland, Martha's Vineyard, Salem and Newport (well, lots of cruises go there). Sadly, that itinerary isn't realistic, if for no other reason than all the tendering that would be necessary for such a cruise.

For what it's worth, Salem is often a scheduled shore excursion for cruise ships visiting Boston on a port-of-call day. Salem is also approximately 40 minutes from Boston North Station via commuter rail.

I'd love to see a big-ship cruise that cobbled all those little "oddball" ports together: St. John's, Corner Brook, Gloucester, Rockland, Martha's Vineyard, Salem and Newport (well, lots of cruises go there). Sadly, that itinerary isn't realistic, if for no other reason than all the tendering that would be necessary for such a cruise.

For what it's worth, Salem is often a scheduled shore excursion for cruise ships visiting Boston on a port-of-call day. Salem is also approximately 40 minutes from Boston North Station via commuter rail.

I would do such a cruise if it were created!

I don't think the smaller ports would be thrilled to be a cruise port. Cruisers don't realize that many communities don't see cruisers as a good thing. All that happens is that a small area gets super crowded by people who are generally wandering around for a few hours, negatively impacting local and visitors who are staying for a relaxing getaway. Cruisers don't spend alot of money in most ports--many will go back to the ship and eat instead of buying in port and will do alot of window shopping with little buying.

Just look at the difference in Venice when the cruiers leave, visit tripadvisor forums for some popular cruise stops and the question that is often asked is--how can I avoid the cruise ship crowds.

If you want to visit little oddball ports then they are better seen from a small sailing trip or very small ship.