Capitan Bob Cass

carlp

We have not been yet, but have recently booked through Capt. Bob. The rates he quoted for the day tour by boat (goes around island with spots at all the popular places). Rate was $99 for everyone over 6 and $50 for kids under 6. We wanted to do a land based private tour so we could do what we wanted and on our own schedule. It's about $350 for 5. He is very responsive to emails and has been great to work with to get what we want to do.

I just got back from the Epic, April 7-14, and we did an all-day excursion with Captain Bob in St. Maarten on Tues April 12. We liked it so much we plan on doing it again with him next year, when we go back on the same ship, same itinerary, and there are some cool people we started talking with on cruise critic, met on the Epic, who also went on the Cap Bob excursion who will also be doing it again next year on the same sailing. We are all on the roll call for next year located here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1615222

I also did a pretty detailed review (spoiler alert) for the Captain Bob Soualiga Destinations Excursion here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147347-d2083816-r128338194-Soualiga_Destinations-Philipsburg_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html I must warn you, I give away all of the day in this review, but if you're concerned about whether you get your money's worth, read below instead:

Some ship-based excursions charge you a tad bit less for a 3-4 hour excursion which includes unlimited rum punch and 60+ passengers on a boat in some nice water where you can swim, maybe snorkel, maybe get to see a few nice fish. Captain Bob had 36 passengers split up into 3 speedboats on the day we were booked, 12-13 to a boat. We stop off at 4-5 different spots to snorkel and swim, get to see a wide variety of marine life, stop off at an island for lunch, have an amazing experience there, get to souvenir shop, see iguanas, relax on a beach, swim, interact with locals, for a bit before back into the boat for more of those 5-6 spots. Get to see the St. Maarten airport and see a plane land and/or take off. The speedboat itself is a wonderful experience. The historical tour, picture taking opps, the spots we were in the water all had a distinct and different appeal. Coral, stingrays, eagle rays, giant turtles, multi-colored fish, schools of fish, crystal clear waters, a lunch on a beach that you dream about, where everyone is happy and almost everyone is good looking, the bartender is barefoot and in the sand behind the bar making you a frozen something, the ribs or chicken taste like they should, no additives, and you think for a moment that these people don't look like they have much, but they also look like they have everything.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded response, feel free to stop by our roll call and say hi to sissasmome, the other people who went on the excursion, and currently the only others whom have signed up for the roll call for that sailing. Coincidentally, her review of her cruise was featured on cruise critic this past week as one of the top five reviews. Through some weird twist of luck, mine was chosen for this week. I ended up with a heavy migraine cycle because of all the activity on the ship, including the excursion, so I was late with my review, and they chose it for this week's top five. Both mention the Cap Bob excursion as well.

Best,

Steve aka GriffinAlexander

• Like 1

Thanks for the great review, both here and on TA.

We have booked this trip for our upcoming cruise on the Epic in November.

I am looking so forward to it.

We were in St. Martin in March, when there were 7 or 8 ships docked. We decided to do Maho by taxi. It was a horrible day, right from trying to get a taxi, tons of traffic and bumper to bumper people on the beach. I was so envious of the people watching the planes from the water. I said I would never travel in a car on St. Martin again. Your review has me sold.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Captain Bob has been very responsive via email, and he has a great cancellation/refund policy if necessary, plus a fair deposit.

Karen

one of our stops will be in St Maarten. Has anyone used Captain Bob for your excursion. How was it? what did you do, and the cost?

Hi There carlp - was just there about a week ago - took Captain Bob's tour $99 per person - below is a review I posted on another thread. Hands down - best tour ever!! Cannot wait to get back there!! You'll have a blast with Captain Bob. Have a great cruise...if you have any questions happy to help.

To sum up Captain Bob’s tour (Soualiga Destinations) – one word – AMAZING!!

I cannot imagine another tour operator offering the same experience as what we encountered with Captain Bob, especially for the money(drinks and lunch included). There were 12 of us CC'ers via cruise ship. It’s a short 10 (approx.) minute walk from where the cruise ship docks to where Bob’s boats are docked. The boat itself was comfortable. It’s a 600 hp “power ship” that gave us the opportunity to actually see and experience all that St. Martin/Sint Maarten has to offer. We began our tour on the Dutch side or (Philipsburg) winding through the sea and stopping at various interesting spots to see (rock formations, multi-million dollar yachts, beautiful coves, etc.). Then it was on to a beautiful snorkel spot on the French side wherein Bob will provide snorkel equipment if needed; or you can bring your own (which we did). Bob also has noodles to assist with floatation. The snorkeling was wonderful – so many colorful fish, like parrot, angel, etc. The water was warm and calm, the area was beautiful – it was just a great time. Then back in the boat and it was off to Pinel Island for lunch – the scenery was amazing and all during the tour Bob gave us the opportunity to take pictures, ask questions and offer history about St Maarten. Pinel Island is beautiful!! No other way to describe it. It’s a beach stop so it’s somewhat populated however it never felt crowded. There is a little interesting shop (so bring some extra cash) and the lunch that was provided was excellent. There was a choice of chicken, ribs and veggie wrap – it was a great fresh lunch, fabulous atmosphere and afterward we had some time to feed leftovers to the iguanas!! Yes, iguanas – must have been 50 of them!! So much fun, like stepping back in time. You have to be there to understand just how cool it was!! Then after lunch - took a swim in the fabulous water and it was off to Tintamarre to swim with the turtles. It was a bit choppy but absolutely beautiful and yes did get to follow a couple turtles around and even a stingray!! In addition Tintamaare is also a beautiful spot!! From Tintamaare we were then off to enjoy the ride to a very special swimming spot. It was such a blast!! Fish, fish, fish everywhere – as a timid swimmer I never thought I would ever get in the water with so many – but I would highly suggest you do not miss this amazing memory. WOW – just WOW and still WOW!!! After all that – you would not even think the tour could get any better – but then we stop at Maho beach. This beach lies in front of Princess Juliana airport. If you ever want the opportunity to see the face of a jumbo jet literally coming at you and then have the opportunity to check out its massive underbelly – well then my friends this would be just that opportunity. We were able to see several planes take off and land – just one of those jaw-dropping moments. So....many may have questions about the “speed” boat – DH and I are well, well into our middle ages and we loved this tour. Was it fast and at times scary to me? Yes. However I never/ever felt unsafe, it was truly an exhilarating adventure. Bob aka best Captain ever - gave us memories that will last a lifetime!!! Cannot wait to get back to Sint Maarten to experience Bob’s tour again!!!

Thanks for the great review, both here and on TA.

We have booked this trip for our upcoming cruise on the Epic in November.

I am looking so forward to it.

We were in St. Martin in March, when there were 7 or 8 ships docked. We decided to do Maho by taxi. It was a horrible day, right from trying to get a taxi, tons of traffic and bumper to bumper people on the beach. I was so envious of the people watching the planes from the water. I said I would never travel in a car on St. Martin again. Your review has me sold.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Captain Bob has been very responsive via email, and he has a great cancellation/refund policy if necessary, plus a fair deposit.

Karen

Thanks. I'm glad you booked it. I'm certain you will have a most enjoyable time. Say hello to captain Bob from Steve and Jose! We are going out with him again first week of April 2013 along with our friends from the last cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 3 weeks later...

HI all,

I have an email in requesting info on Captain Bobs tours, I got a reply that hes on a tour and will email me later.

How many hours was this tour as I will be in St Martin ( we dock at 12:15 - 8 pm)

Is this tour doable?

Also group of 16 with ages 2 1/2 to 74 is this also doable?

Appreciate any tips. Like bring beach bags with towels or back paks?bring your own water or will there be plenty of places to purchase water and snacks.

thanks

HI all,

I have an email in requesting info on Captain Bobs tours, I got a reply that hes on a tour and will email me later.

How many hours was this tour as I will be in St Martin ( we dock at 12:15 - 8 pm)

Is this tour doable?

Also group of 16 with ages 2 1/2 to 74 is this also doable?

Appreciate any tips. Like bring beach bags with towels or back paks?bring your own water or will there be plenty of places to purchase water and snacks.

thanks

His tours are usually about 9 am or so until about 4pm. And his boats fit 12-13. I dont ink it's a good fit for the very young or very old, but if he allows it then go into it with the knowledge that those people will need extra attention from the family members. Because you have such a large group, he may be able to fit you all on the speedboat. I know that I wouldn't be comfortable on this excursion with toddlers and seniors. It goes to a few places and I just don't think the old and young people would be able to keep up. At lunch you have to wade through a few feet of water and you don't have a lot of time, so I'd be a little upset if we missed part of the excursion waiting for toddlers and elderly people to keep up. But since your group will basically have a boat to themselves it might be ok since you all are fine with it. Also, half the tour is snorkeling and swimming, which will also be a challenge for the older and younger people. They will wind up sitting on the boat watching everyone else have fun. My best guess is that you will end up with a different excursion than most get, because he will tailor your trip to your needs. You will probably get less stops and a shorter all around experience because of missed stops due to the demographic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We have not been yet, but have recently booked through Capt. Bob. The rates he quoted for the day tour by boat (goes around island with spots at all the popular places). Rate was $99 for everyone over 6 and $50 for kids under 6. We wanted to do a land based private tour so we could do what we wanted and on our own schedule. It's about $350 for 5. He is very responsive to emails and has been great to work with to get what we want to do.

Can you please post either the web-site or e-mail address for Capt. Bob. The reviews are so good that I would like to book for this January.

Thank you.

We just booked with Capt. Bob for our Janiary 15 stop on the Reflection. Sounds like a great day. Responded within hours to my initial query and provided very detailed descriptions of the tour and payment process. Very professional.

He mentioned that tours were on local time and we needed to confirm that ship's arrival time was Also local time. Reflection is listed as arriving at 9:00 a.m., and we would need to meet Capt. Bob at 9:30 am

As I recall from previous cruises, time usually changes to match local time before you arrive at port. Anyone know if this would be the case in St. Martin?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We're thinking about booking the only thing I'm a nervous reck about getting back to the ship late. He says we will be back at 4pm to our ship however, our ship leaves at 5 pm, should I be nervous? how long of a distance going back to the ship ( freedom of the seas) to where capt. Bob has his boat. Also, does he sometimes get back earlier than he says?

dis2cruise, when is your cruise? We will be with Captain Bob on Jan 8 and can post a timeframe when we return. It is my understanding that the excursion is very near port so there shouldn't be much time needed to return to your ship. The email I received from Captain Bob said it is about a 15 minute walk from ship to excursion spot.

dis2cruise, when is your cruise? We will be with Captain Bob on Jan 8 and can post a timeframe when we return. It is my understanding that the excursion is very near port so there shouldn't be much time needed to return to your ship. The email I received from Captain Bob said it is about a 15 minute walk from ship to excursion spot.

We're thinking of booking with him on January 17 and i emailed him and Capt Bob said..

Freedom of the Seas is on Eastern Standard time and we are on Atlantic Standard time. Our local time is 1 hour ahead of ship time so when we get back at 4 PM local time, it will be 3 PM ship time.* so you will be back well before all on board.

Hooray for Capt. Bob! We arrived in St Maarten for one day via the NCL Sun. We were so excited to tour & snorkel w/ Capt. Bob. As he had such fantastic reviews and was so great to deal with via e-mail, setting up our tour. His powerboats looked really cool. Alas, the "Christmas Winds" were up that day and we couldn't go out on the water, too rough. BUT Capt Bob to the rescue! He was so determined that we enjoy our day in St. Maarten that he waited for us @ the dock, then got us booked @ for a bar-b-que snorkel sail on the "Lord Sheffield". And then Capt. Bob gave us a very super fast refund. Capt Bob is the best ambassador St Maarten could possibly have. Can't wait to come back to St. Maarten and tour w/ Capt. Bob. If you go to St. Maarten, Do not miss your chance to meet Capn Bob & do this tour.

I just got back from the Epic, April 7-14, and we did an all-day excursion with Captain Bob in St. Maarten on Tues April 12. We liked it so much we plan on doing it again with him next year, when we go back on the same ship, same itinerary, and there are some cool people we started talking with on cruise critic, met on the Epic, who also went on the Cap Bob excursion who will also be doing it again next year on the same sailing. We are all on the roll call for next year located here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1615222

I also did a pretty detailed review (spoiler alert) for the Captain Bob Soualiga Destinations Excursion here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147347-d2083816-r128338194-Soualiga_Destinations-Philipsburg_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html I must warn you, I give away all of the day in this review, but if you're concerned about whether you get your money's worth, read below instead:

Some ship-based excursions charge you a tad bit less for a 3-4 hour excursion which includes unlimited rum punch and 60+ passengers on a boat in some nice water where you can swim, maybe snorkel, maybe get to see a few nice fish. Captain Bob had 36 passengers split up into 3 speedboats on the day we were booked, 12-13 to a boat. We stop off at 4-5 different spots to snorkel and swim, get to see a wide variety of marine life, stop off at an island for lunch, have an amazing experience there, get to souvenir shop, see iguanas, relax on a beach, swim, interact with locals, for a bit before back into the boat for more of those 5-6 spots. Get to see the St. Maarten airport and see a plane land and/or take off. The speedboat itself is a wonderful experience. The historical tour, picture taking opps, the spots we were in the water all had a distinct and different appeal. Coral, stingrays, eagle rays, giant turtles, multi-colored fish, schools of fish, crystal clear waters, a lunch on a beach that you dream about, where everyone is happy and almost everyone is good looking, the bartender is barefoot and in the sand behind the bar making you a frozen something, the ribs or chicken taste like they should, no additives, and you think for a moment that these people don't look like they have much, but they also look like they have everything.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded response, feel free to stop by our roll call and say hi to sissasmome, the other people who went on the excursion, and currently the only others whom have signed up for the roll call for that sailing. Coincidentally, her review of her cruise was featured on cruise critic this past week as one of the top five reviews. Through some weird twist of luck, mine was chosen for this week. I ended up with a heavy migraine cycle because of all the activity on the ship, including the excursion, so I was late with my review, and they chose it for this week's top five. Both mention the Cap Bob excursion as well.

Best,

Just read your review on TA...sounds like this might be the tour for us. I snorkel my husband does not so I am trying to find something that both of us will enjoy. I have a couple of questions...first how do you get on and off the speed boat each time...I am no good at climbing those wiggly ladders I need something more solid for getting in and out of the water.

Also how do we book this one...I did not notice it in the Excursion list ..but I may have missed it..What is it called ..we are sailing Epic Feb 23rd.

How much was it and what time....I would like to do a bit of poking around in some of the shops as well preferably after the excursion.

Thanks

Angela

My family too booked Capt. Bob through Souiglaliiliaaa :p or however you spell it b/c of the excellent reviews. However, I think we are the only ones who didn't get what we expected. The obvious being we didn't get Capt. Bob. We were on the slow boat with Junior. We also had a deck hand that Capt. Bob didn't even know as he was introduced to him by Junior. Has anyone else heard of this. We didn't go thru the bay to cut through. We went all the way around. We didn't go to Pinel island and we stopped at Maho Beach at 9:30 ish a.m. No planes that early. There was also confusion about time. When I stated we get in at 8 a.m. I was suppose to let him know that was ship time. He wanted to know why we were late. You can see the ships come in so I figured he knew when we arrived and why we were late as he said.

I will agree that he has extraordinary email edicate. I did learn that he doesn't own those fast pirate boats. He rents or uses them thru the boat owner.

I guess I was just meant to be on the slow boat and our day was still great. I would actually say I would probably give him another try.

The lunch was awesome and so was the snorkel stops.

How did everyone pay Capt Bob, I do not have a paypal acct, did anyone else have this problem? Also I am a little confused about the time....Our ship will be in at 8am and leave at 5pm, Capt Bob said we will need to be there at 9:30am and get back at 4pm. So will that be 9:30 ship time or with the time difference that would be 8:30am ship time? Also getting back..if the ship leaves at 5pm aren't you suppose to be back on the ship way earlier than sail time....but I can't remember how much earlier. Can anyone help with these questions?

Our trip is a few days away and we're doing this excursion so I will have more details after the 13th but as I understand it the ship's time is not the same as St. Maarten's time so yes, you should leave the ship as soon as you dock so you can meet by 8:30 ship time. When you return, it will be 3pm ship time so you should have plenty of time but most cruiselines say 30 minutes before sailaway anyway. I made a small deposit by paypal so not sure about that question but will pay the balance in cash the morning of. Maybe email Capt. Bob and ask him if you can reserve another way.

Our trip is a few days away and we're doing this excursion so I will have more details after the 13th but as I understand it the ship's time is not the same as St. Maarten's time so yes, you should leave the ship as soon as you dock so you can meet by 8:30 ship time. When you return, it will be 3pm ship time so you should have plenty of time but most cruiselines say 30 minutes before sailaway anyway. I made a small deposit by paypal so not sure about that question but will pay the balance in cash the morning of. Maybe email Capt. Bob and ask him if you can reserve another way.

Also I have just read that all the drinks are provided on the boat but not for lunch? Did you hear the same? Do you know what would be offered for lunch, soda water and alcoholic beverages? Also does he resume free drinks back on the boat after lunch, do you know?