Boston -- cab or car service to the airport?

Cruise_More_Often

Calling Boston experts! We dock on a Saturday at 7:00 a.m. Our airline cancelled our original flight and put us on one leaving Logan at 10:30 a.m. What would be be better -- a cab or a car service? And, if we would be better off with a car service, how does one go about arranging that? We have never used a car service.

Either one would be the same in terms of how long to get over there, but 10:30 is a little risky if there's any delay in getting cleared thru customs and getting off the ship. Car Service might be better, albeit more expensive, as they are there for you and you won't have to wait with other passengers for cabs.

What airline are you flying? Jet Blue. Do you have TSA precheck? When we have flown JetBlue in the past, out of Boston, we have gotten it. I don't know if that's typical. Will you have a boarding pass? We are planning to print them in the library in Bar Harbor because we had a problem printing them last year on the Maasdam. Are you self disembarking with your luggage? Yes. For a 10:30 flight I think I'd want to be at the airport by 9:00 am. I should also mention that we booked JetBlue's Mint service, and there might be a dedicated line at the airport. We've never flown Mint, so I'm not sure what to expect.
Thanks so much. I appreciate any and all suggestions.

There is a dedicated Mint check in line. Mint also gets you to the "front of the line". While I've never seen the line at security that bad (I have Pre-Check, so I just look at it), not sure I would bet the bank on it. As long as you hustle, I think you should make it.

There is a dedicated Mint check in line. Mint also gets you to the "front of the line". While I've never seen the line at security that bad (I have Pre-Check, so I just look at it), not sure I would bet the bank on it. As long as you hustle, I think you should make it.
Thank you. That's good to know. We'll try to be off the ship as soon as it's ready. This will be a first for us, because we always try to be among the last off.

You should be OK. You have reduced the points of failure. You will have a boarding pass. You are self disembarking. You have some Jet Blue priority.

Terminal C has its ups and downs . Some Jet blue gates are a hike.

The good news is that on a Sat morning it should be 15 minutes to the airport once you get in a vehicle.

Calling Boston experts! We dock on a Saturday at 7:00 a.m. Our airline cancelled our original flight and put us on one leaving Logan at 10:30 a.m. What would be be better -- a cab or a car service? And, if we would be better off with a car service, how does one go about arranging that? We have never used a car service.

Would you mind reporting back how this flight worked out for you? We have an 11:15 am flight home from Boston in July. Hoping we can make it without a problem.

Would you mind reporting back how this flight worked out for you? We have an 11:15 am flight home from Boston in July. Hoping we can make it without a problem.
I would be happy to. I'll come back to this thread when we return.

Now, if anyone has a personal recommendation for a car service, I would really appreciate it.

I remember posting the same question a yr or so ago and everyone said just to grab a cab. We got off the ship and there was a line up for cabs a mile long. We stood in line forever, not moving and I knew there was no way we would make our flight. I left the area and just happened on a private person willing to take people to the airport, for a cost, of course but lesson learned for me.

Pre-book private transportation to be safe.

I remember posting the same question a yr or so ago and everyone said just to grab a cab. We got off the ship and there was a line up for cabs a mile long. We stood in line forever, not moving and I knew there was no way we would make our flight. I left the area and just happened on a private person willing to take people to the airport, for a cost, of course but lesson learned for me.

Pre-book private transportation to be safe.

Thank you so, so much! I will definitely reserve something.

• 1 month later...

Okay, I'm reporting back on what happened to us when leaving the Veendam last Saturday. We did reserve a car service -- Blue Nile Livery. The ship was scheduled to get into Boston at 7:00 a.m., so I initially made our reservation for 7:30 a.m.

During the cruise, we were told that the earliest departure from the ship would be at 8:15, so I called Blue Nile from Halifax to change our booking to 8:30.

HAL assigned us a walk-off departure time of 8:15 a.m., but disembarcation actually began around 8:00, so we were off the ship and waiting outside the terminal before 8:15. I called Blue Nile to see if our driver was nearby, but he was still enroute. He arrived on the dot at our scheduled time of 8:30 a.m.

The Veendam was the only ship in port that day, is a small ship, and only a few people walked off early. If we hadn't booked a car service, we could easily have caught a taxi and gotten to the airport earlier. However, if time is a factor, and there is more than one ship in port, I would still do as we did and use a car service (or Uber or Lyft). It's worth it.

As it was, our 10:30 a.m. departure was delayed until 1:00 p.m. because of the resurfacing of the arrival runway at SFO. All that worry for nothing.

Okay, I'm reporting back on what happened to us when leaving the Veendam last Saturday. We did reserve a car service -- Blue Nile Livery. The ship was scheduled to get into Boston at 7:00 a.m., so I initially made our reservation for 7:30 a.m.

During the cruise, we were told that the earliest departure from the ship would be at 8:15, so I called Blue Nile from Halifax to change our booking to 8:30.

HAL assigned us a walk-off departure time of 8:15 a.m., but disembarcation actually began around 8:00, so we were off the ship and waiting outside the terminal before 8:15. I called Blue Nile to see if our driver was nearby, but he was still enroute. He arrived on the dot at our scheduled time of 8:30 a.m.

The Veendam was the only ship in port that day, is a small ship, and only a few people walked off early. If we hadn't booked a car service, we could easily have caught a taxi and gotten to the airport earlier. However, if time is a factor, and there is more than one ship in port, I would still do as we did and use a car service (or Uber or Lyft). It's worth it.

As it was, our 10:30 a.m. departure was delayed until 1:00 p.m. because of the resurfacing of the arrival runway at SFO. All that worry for nothing.

Thank you so much for information. I think my flight time will be fine. I hope you had a great cruise! Did you write a review?

Thank you so much for information. I think my flight time will be fine. I hope you had a great cruise! Did you write a review?
You are welcome. I'm thinking about doing a review, but I'd like to fill it with photos. Unfortunately, my Chromebook is awful at handling photos, so we're in the process of buying new Windows laptops. I'll download my photos ASAP (haven't used Windows in awhile) and get something started.