Holland America Veendam vs. Norwegian Star to Bermuda in June

ChrisC433

I haven't sailed the Star so I can't offer a comparison of ships...but having sailed the Veendam I would choose her simply because she docks in Hamilton instead of the Dockyard...plus the extra time on the island.

Based on what we experienced, it is far easier to get around and see the sights with Hamilton as the starting point.

It really depends on what's important to you.

The Star is newer, larger, has many more dining options, more entertainment, and a younger passenger demographic.

The Veendam spends 19 hours more in Bermuda than does the Star, and docks in Hamilton, which some people prefer to Dockyard.

Contrary to what some claim, it is not always easier or faster to get a variety of destinations from Hamilton than it is from Dockyard. For example, you can get from Dockyard to St. George faster from Dockyard than from Hamilton. The express buses from Dockyard will get you to Horseshoe Bay as fast as the local bus from Hamilton...and if you count the time it takes to walk to the bus stop in Hamilton, the total time from Dockyard is probably a little less.

Thanks for the replies! We are going with my son and his girlfriend (22). We always rent scooters while in Bermuda so taxis, ferries, and buses aren't an issue.

I've never been on Holland America and don't know what to compare it to. We've sailed MSC, Costa, RCCL, NCL, Carnival. I don't want my kids to be bored! I don't want a ship that is ONLY geared to an older crowd!!

Thanks!

Hi,

I'd stick with NCL simply because of the Latitudes, past passenger, program... faster check-in, discount in the shops, exclusive gathering, etc...

If you were satisfied with NCL before than why not again.

You will have a nice trip anyways :D

We were just in Bermuda the first week of May, and the Veendam was in port in Hamilton. The ship is much smaller than the Star and looked like it needed a lot of TLC. I guess, since it is going to be scrapped after its final sailing at the end of June, HAL is not putting any more money into it. So, if the ship is important to you, then go with the Star.

If late night activities in port are important, the Veendam docks right there on Front Street in Hamilton, which is great if you are into nightlife. The last ferry to King's Wharf leaves at around 10:00 p.m. and that is when all of the action is just getting started. I believe a taxi back to Kings Wharf would run about $65 after midnight ($50 before midnight).

If paying for a taxi is not an issue, then go with NCL.

We were just in Bermuda the first week of May, and the Veendam was in port in Hamilton. The ship is much smaller than the Star and looked like it needed a lot of TLC. I guess, since it is going to be scrapped after its final sailing at the end of June, HAL is not putting any more money into it. So, if the ship is important to you, then go with the Star.

If late night activities in port are important, the Veendam docks right there on Front Street in Hamilton, which is great if you are into nightlife. The last ferry to King's Wharf leaves at around 10:00 p.m. and that is when all of the action is just getting started. I believe a taxi back to Kings Wharf would run about $65 after midnight ($50 before midnight).

If paying for a taxi is not an issue, then go with NCL.

I had no idea the ship was going to be scrapped. When was that announced? I though they were just redeploying it to a more profitable itinerary after this cruise season.

I guess, since it is going to be scrapped after its final sailing at the end of June, HAL is not putting any more money into it.

Veendam itineraries through at least December 28, 2013 are available on the Holland America website. :)

Trying to decide which ship to sail to Bermuda on.

This is our third cruise there...both on Norwegian Majesty a few years ago.

Any thoughts???

Thanks!

and

Thanks for the replies! We are going with my son and his girlfriend (22). We always rent scooters while in Bermuda so taxis, ferries, and buses aren't an issue.

I've never been on Holland America and don't know what to compare it to. We've sailed MSC, Costa, RCCL, NCL, Carnival. I don't want my kids to be bored! I don't want a ship that is ONLY geared to an older crowd!!

You will have your own preferences, but I talked to two passengers from the Norwegian Star when we were in Bermuda last week.

One said that if he had known that the Veendam docked in Hamilton and arrived there Tuesday morning instead of Wednesday, even though the Star was the first to leave NY, he would have booked the Veendam. (He was quite unhappy.)

The other liked the Star because he could get food 24 hours a day at one of the eateries on the ship.

Again, everyone has their own preferences. There was a fair number of younger people on our cruise, and while I did not follow them around every minute, they seemed to keep themselves occupied by the pool and hot tubs, sunning on the deck, playing basketball and ping-pong, going to the gym, reading, playing video games on the electronic devices they brought with them, conversing with others, going to the movie theater.....lots of things to do in addition to movies available from the front desk and the daily scheduled activities.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. We had a 20 and 23 year old with us.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
I guess, since it is going to be scrapped after its final sailing at the end of June, HAL is not putting any more money into it. .

Where did you hear this??? Not a word has been said any where else.

The Veendam IS NOT being scrapped. It has many,many years ahead of her. They have spent millions refitting her in the past 5 years.

This is the last year of it's Bermida itinerary, next summer it's doing more profitable Canada runs from Boston.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
The Veendam IS NOT being scrapped. It has many,many years ahead of her. They have spent millions refitting her in the past 5 years.

This is the last year of it's Bermida itinerary, next summer it's doing more profitable Canada runs from Boston.

We sailed on the Veendam in 2010 and 2011. We chose this ship because of the extra time in Bermuda and being able to be in Hamilton. However, I have no idea where the "millions" of dollars spent on her went except the crappy retreat area and fixing the damage in her bow. We would have love to sail her again this year, but after seeing the duct tape holding pipes and electrical work together, we knew that things were going downhill. HAL is spending less and less care on their older and smaller ships! We LOVE HAL and would like to keep sailing the Veendam. We were in a suite the last two times and this last time we have serious A/C issues! While walking around the promenade deck we saw most doors propped open! WHen they added the extra cabins, they failed to take into account the A/C problem

This year there have been little if any a/c or toilet complaints, they have apparently solved that issue(which every ship no mayptter the age shares). The retreat (redone twice since 2005) is what I was mentioning specifically.

I haven't sailed the Star so I can't offer a comparison of ships...but having sailed the Veendam I would choose her simply because she docks in Hamilton instead of the Dockyard...plus the extra time on the island.

Based on what we experienced, it is far easier to get around and see the sights with Hamilton as the starting point.

Another vote for the Veendam here! ;)

As spunk has said, the Veendam is NOT being scrapped. HAL is dropping Bermuda and sending her to do their more profitable Canada/New England cruise with the Maasdam.

We had zero a/c issues on our cruise earlier this month. It was one of the best ships we've been on...a wonderful crew, great food, and we loved being right there on Front Street for 3 1/2 days! I'd repeat this cruise in a heartbeat.

Guest LoveMyBoxer
This year there have been little if any a/c or toilet complaints, they have apparently solved that issue(which every ship no mayptter the age shares). The retreat (redone twice since 2005) is what I was mentioning specifically.

The season has just started and quite a few more months to go before all reviews are in. Have you actually sailed on her to Bermuda? As I said, we sailed the past two years on her and enjoyed our cruises on her. However, the problem is not the Veendam but the lack of care that HAL is doing towards her. Inn Lady, I understand you had a wonderful time, however, having sailed her twice on the Bermuda run, we did see the lack of care which HAL is doing towards this beautiful ship. If we had our way, we would only sail the older smaller ships. My complaint is that HAL seems to be leaving these "classic" ships to the way side! We love the Veendam and would love to sail on her again some day, but the lack of love by HAL towards this ship is really sad!

I mean from last fall, number of complaints are down. Especially since Zuiderdam, Eurodam, etc are now getting nailed on these very issues.

I'm excited for my trip to Hamilton in August.

We are in our 40's and have been on the Veendam and 3 of NCL ships, Crown, Dawn and Gem (not star)

Based on your son and his girlfriend alone, the ship itself will bore them, it bored us.

While we enjoyed the quiet area around the pool vs the loud music, night time didn't have the excitement other ships have. While you will have most of your time in Bermuda, Hamilton at that, that part alone is a huge positive. Food we found to be very bland. Very limited choices too. NCL has alot more choices, Carnival has the most.

If the prices were identical I would do the veendam only for the extra time in BDA. Once docked, we're off the ship for the entire day, back in time to shower for a late dinner. But I can honestly say your kids will be bored.

We're doing RCCL Explorer bayonne/bermuda. Thats a ship for your kids.

Prices great too.

Good luck and either way, ENJOY!!

Thanks!

I am in the same boat (lol) deciding between Veendam or the Star for June. Also thinking about the Norwegian Gem to Bahamas. Its me and my wife, we are 30 years old. Any recommendations? Thanks

I am in the same boat (lol) deciding between Veendam or the Star for June. Also thinking about the Norwegian Gem to Bahamas. Its me and my wife, we are 30 years old. Any recommendations? Thanks

Go o Bermuda rather than the Bahamas...on any ship!

Your comments have been very helpful. I think we are leaning toward Veendam. We like being in Hamilton and having the extra time in Bermuda. I realize the down side of this decision might be the lack of activities for the young adults, but they won't be onboard that much anyway!

The Veendam is about $100 cheaper per person and has a $75 OBC.

Thanks......

Chris

Enjoy!!! The Veendam does have a bigger pool than the other ships which we did enjoy. Another favorite is that they have a grill area right at the end of the pool for burgers,hotdogs, fries, etc.. They also have a cart set up with condiments, chili, cheese sauce and flour tortillas wrapped individually in foil to make your own burritos or whatever you call them. That was fantastic, downside, no drinks there. Have to run into the buffet.

There are some nice things about the Veendam, You will enjoy. It's just a quieter ship.

Your comments have been very helpful. I think we are leaning toward Veendam. We like being in Hamilton and having the extra time in Bermuda. I realize the down side of this decision might be the lack of activities for the young adults, but they won't be onboard that much anyway!

Thanks......

Chris

Thanks......

Chris

Hey Chris....which website did you book through? Thanks

You will have your own preferences, but I talked to two passengers from the Norwegian Star when we were in Bermuda last week.

The other liked the Star because he could get food 24 hours a day at one of the eateries on the ship.

The Veendam has an extensive room service menu available 24/7.

Archived