Medical Evacuation at Half Moon Cay

powderhorn

Just posted a video of the medical evacuation that occurred on Saturday at Half Moon Cay from the Westerdam. The crew member was picked up by the island's tender off shore and brought to the landing and then transferred to a float plane that landed in the lagoon. Then off to meet a jet and onto Miami for treatment. Hopefully a successful outcome. It was a pretty rough sea for the tender.

This was the second medical diversion. First one happened on second evening of the cruise.

Here's the link to the video

That sea didn't look at all rough until I saw the tender bobbing around. :eek: Shows just how much looks can be deceiving when you see the waves from up high on the ship.

Congratulations to all who effected the transfer safely.

Best wishes that the patient recovers swiftly and completely.

Thanks for posting the link.

Best wishes to this person.

So did the ship stop there just for the medical emergency? With those seas I can't imagine you all were able to go to the island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our stop had been cancelled because of the rough seas and we had slowly sailed away from HMC for about 90 minutes, when the captain turned us around and steamed full speed back to the island. Once there, he turned the ship to give the tender some shelter while the evacuation took place.

Hope they are ok, did you hear was it an injury or an illness or what?

Not sure. Heard it was a heart attack, but you know how rumours are. I had no reliable source other than other passengers, so if anyone had better intel, please let us know.

I just watched the video again and have to say how impressive a manuever in rough conditions. Who can question how competent and trained these Officers and crews are. Huge respect for how smoothly they accomplished it.

I wish the crewmember the very best. My father was evacuated from HMC during a storm and there is no question that HAL trains it crewmembers to spot problems and react quickly. The on-board medical staff was superb, and sent a HAL nurse with my father. They were all wonderful and saved my father's life.

Archived