Celebrity Cancelled Our Cruise !

Tide Pride

We have reservations for the Constellation sailing out of Fort Lauderdale on April 13, 2007 on their Southern Caribbean route.

I was browsing around the Celebrity website and thought I would check our reservation ( made two months ago ) and it said I had no reservations booked.

I then checked their schedule for the Constellation in April 2007 and it does not list our cruise but instead shows a TA crossing.

I called our TA and she said that Celebrity has not advised her of this but she would check.

Is this a freak occurrence or do the cruise lines just aribitrarily cancel booked cruises ?

If this is true I am mightily disappointed as we were so looking forward to this cruise. :confused:

Ben

not often, but it happens.

Happened to me last year.

One of the problems is the drydocking schedules. It should sound like they can just schedule them and thats that. Unfortunately like having a car, sometimes you just gotta go and have something fixed that broke intermittantly...sometimes it takes longer than expected to fix something.

Or it is possible the ship is taking over the route of another. If the itinerary wasn't sold out, They do reserve the right to cancell and refund.

All of the above sucks....Unfortunately there is no 'Easy' button.

If they haven't contacted your TA yet, they will, they may offer a similar cruise at the same time, or simply refund your money. If you had purchased cruise insurance it would cover any hotels or flights you were not able to be refunded on.

Dave:eek:

Yes, cruise lines may arbitrarily cancel cruises. (Look at a cruise contract; they permit the cruise line to do anything they want for any reason with no obligation to the customer. Your only lever is their desire for good will.)

I have had several cruises cancelled. Reasons have included a change is usage of the ship (transfer to a sister line), a mechanical problem that required scheduling drydock several months in advance, a charter of the entire ship to a private group, and the bankruptcy of a cruise line.

However, what they do for you depends upon the cruise line and how much advance notice they give you. Carnival was the most liberal (they allowed me to take a significantly more expensive cruise at a different time for the same price), and Princess the least (basically, buptkis). I have not yet had a Celebrity cancellation, so I am not aware of their policy.

Ben,

I wish you'd have popped into our roll call for your cruise. We've been talking about this for the last few days, before it was announced.

They are putting Connie in for drydock, so they have moved the TA cruise up to April 13th. They have also cancelled the first European cruise as well. They are adding diesel engines as a cheaper way of providing power when the ship is not sailing. They will also do some refurbishing at that time. She will be going into drydock in England as Millie is coming out from the same procedure.

It happens. There will likely be some sort of minor compensation, but only if you rebook another cruise right away. When they changed Century's itinerary last year it was $50 OBC. We'll see.

We have reservations for the Constellation sailing out of Fort Lauderdale on April 13, 2007 on their Southern Caribbean route.

I was browsing around the Celebrity website and thought I would check our reservation ( made two months ago ) and it said I had no reservations booked.

I then checked their schedule for the Constellation in April 2007 and it does not list our cruise but instead shows a TA crossing.

I called our TA and she said that Celebrity has not advised her of this but she would check.

Is this a freak occurrence or do the cruise lines just aribitrarily cancel booked cruises ?

If this is true I am mightily disappointed as we were so looking forward to this cruise. :confused:

Ben

Hi Ben !

So you know, we already have a thread going on this topic, that mainly pertains to the 4/13/07 sailing. I am booked on this sailing as well. We are very disappointed too. However, there MAY be some good news. I JUST got off the phone with Celebrity Customer Service, and they are telling me that the 4/13 sailing MAY still be back on as scheduled. Although I DO think the sailing is cancelled, they assure me there is still hope the sailing might go on as planned. Bottom line is, there could still be a change for the better, but it is doubtful.

Here is the thread where you can read more about this sailing :

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=381215

As soon as I hear more, I will post on the above thread. Let's hope for the best. Stay Tuned.

The most outrageous thing about this is that you weren't immediately contacted. The fact that you had to stumble upon the information yourself is SHOCKING! Whether or not they cancel cruises and how they compensate for the inconvenience is one thing (and one that gets discussed frequently here), but the idea that the customer service is SO BAD that they can't even notify their customers that a cruise they have booked is cancelled is beyond the pale!

It seems to me that while most everybody working for X on the seas is pretty fantastic, the ones on land are complete and utter imbeciles...

Honestly... they still haven't contacted anyone...

I read about it in our roll call, and contacted my TA immediately... He thought maybe they were just "cleaning house"... but... we found out soon after, our original fears were true...

We've since moved our group over to the 23rd sailing... but, I'm not pleased with how they dealt with it.

Ben

I was also on this cruise and am very upset as this is the only time we can travel. It was the perfect cruise on the perfect ship at the perfect time and now it's gone. We can't do the Transatlantice because my son can't miss 4 days of school. As it was he was going to miss 2. But I figured the day before and day after April vacation they don't do too much in class.

We are very, very sad!!

The most outrageous thing about this is that you weren't immediately contacted. The fact that you had to stumble upon the information yourself is SHOCKING! Whether or not they cancel cruises and how they compensate for the inconvenience is one thing (and one that gets discussed frequently here), but the idea that the customer service is SO BAD that they can't even notify their customers that a cruise they have booked is cancelled is beyond the pale!

It seems to me that while most everybody working for X on the seas is pretty fantastic, the ones on land are complete and utter imbeciles...

The fact is it's still up in the air, nothing has been announced.

So please before you attack, read all the posts. It has been stated by one of the hosts on the board that it may not be cancelled after all.

There is no annoucement of a cancellation, just closed bookings. They are trying two work out the details and at that time the TAs will be contacted and they in turn will contact their customers.

Sometimes these boards get ahead of themselves and cause a stir. Yes, It's likely it will be cancelled and at that time X will notify their passengers.

As you can see, the OP said that he had a reservation, and then, POOF, it ws gone.

If the company is trying to figure something out, they shouldn't have erased the reservation. THAT is what I was commenting on.

The fact is it's still up in the air, nothing has been announced.

So please before you attack, read all the posts. It has been stated by one of the hosts on the board that it may not be cancelled after all.

There is no annoucement of a cancellation, just closed bookings. They are trying two work out the details and at that time the TAs will be contacted and they in turn will contact their customers.

Sometimes these boards get ahead of themselves and cause a stir. Yes, It's likely it will be cancelled and at that time X will notify their passengers.

But seeing as when I log onto MyCelebrity to check my reservations and it states "I have no reservations" doesn't look good. Besides I believe 9 times out of 10 the things that are reported here on CC are more accurate than what the cruise line reps say.

But seeing as when I log onto MyCelebrity to check my reservations and it states "I have no reservations" doesn't look good. Besides I believe 9 times out of 10 the things that are reported here on CC are more accurate than what the cruise line reps say.

Hi Anne Maria !

I know how you feel. I have the same situation. Our bookings disappeared as well. I know Rick said dont jump the gun, and he is right about that.... but with that said, chances are still good our sailing is history. The ONLY reason I havent given up yet, is because Customer Service says it is not a done deal, so I am keeping the faith :)

As Yogi Berra once said, "It aint over, until its over". As soon as I hear anything more, I will post it here.

My TA just emailed me that Celebrity says to not pay any attention to their website. It is currently undergoing maintenance and that the 4-13-07 cruise is still on.

Now I don't know what to think :confused:

Ben

Are the people at Celebrity on drugs? Maybe they are spending too much time in their own martini bars. This makes NO SENSE at all.

I also don't want to get my hopes up, because as I've been saying all along when I log into MyCelebrity my reservation is GONE.

Okay, I doubt we will learn anything new over the weekend, will we?

I will check back tomorrow afternoon to see if there are any developments.

Tide... I wouldn't put too much stock in what your TA told you...

According to all the correspondence, and oral communication with X... the cruise is gone...

I don't want to burst your bubble... but, ours is burst... and we're off to the next bubble...

My TA just emailed me that Celebrity says to not pay any attention to their website. It is currently undergoing maintenance and that the 4-13-07 cruise is still on.

Ben

Hi Ben !

This confirms what I heard earlier today from Celebrity.

Let's not give up yet. I know I havent. Maybe there will be some happy news yet. I am keeping my fingers crossed, and trying my best to stay positive :). Stay Tuned !

Ben

Well, Ben, rest assured that no matter what Celebrity does to your vacation there will be plenty of people on these boards to tell you that its no big deal. Apparently many of the posters here think that when we make reservations that we are simply expressing a desire to travel rather than entering into a contract, even though we give the lines money to hold our reservation. As you can see from my signature below, I have two more reservations with Celebrity - I've arranged for time off from work, care for our dog, bought plane tickets, made a hotel reservation, etc. Now I'm realizing that I could lose my vacation as well as thousands of dollars. In the rest of the business world a deposit usually entitles you to some guarantee of services. In the cruising world its apparently a different story. I would be upset with Celebrity for their lack of courtesy (at the least) for not notifying you, but then given that Celebrity reads these boards and sees so many of their customers defending X's "right" to screw up people's vacations what's their incentive to treat their customers with respect? It would be nice if some of these "don't worry -be happy" posters would show some empathy for their fellow cruisers instead of spending so much time defending X and pretending that it makes no difference whether your cruise goes to any of its ports, whether or not you get sick, or even whether or not your ship almost flops over on its side, like the Crown Princess. Apparently the RCL stock ownership shipboard credit is enough to make a lot of X loyalists look the other way when the line treats its passengers badly or basically refuses to deal with maintenance issues, like pods that don't work.

These boards are not just here to spread sunshine - they are here to help cruisers make decisions and find out things that could make their trips more enjoyable. Bashing any negative poster is basically a dishonest approach to being part of this cruising community and shows disrespect for those who take the time to share their expereinces, good or bad. I have made several very positive posts on this site about our experience on the Infinity in April of this year, and booking two additional Celebrity cruises within a week of disembarking from my first one should show that I like cruising and like Celebrity. However, when Celebrity screws up - which it seems to be doing a lot lately - there is no reason to pretend that its not happening or doesn't matter.

Tide... I wouldn't put too much stock in what your TA told you...

According to all the correspondence, and oral communication with X... the cruise is gone...

I don't want to burst your bubble... but, ours is burst... and we're off to the next bubble...

Hi Templed !

I know how you feel. No doubt this is a disappointment. I am very frustrated as well. Any changes that we may have to make, are going to cost us a lot of money, and I am very unhappy about that.

The big question is, do we have a sailing or not. I know you seem to feel we dont.... but more than 1 person at Celebrity has told me we may still have a chance. I dont want to spread any false hope, but there is at least a small chance the X Website is incorrect. I have seen it Many times before.

I think I am ready to deal with the liklihood of a cancellation.... However, what bothers me the most, is that nobody at Celebrity has an answer, nor do they seem to care much. The lack of communication and concern from Celebrity is a total and unacceptable failure.

Captain Cosmo... where'd that come from ???

I don't think anyone is taking a ho-hum attitude at this... I'm surely po'ed at the fact that a cruise that I researved, with good money, can be pulled out from under me, with no explaination as to why...

I spent most of the day today, talking with my cruise mates, and coming up with alternate plans... did I want to be doing this today???? hell no!

I wouldn't go so far as saying that X is alone in this... from what I understand, this happens with any line... not just X. I'm not a loyalist... I do like X's product... but let me tell you, when I went out there researching today... EVERY line was on my screen... it just was dumb luck that we are able to switch over to the 3/23 cruise instead.

I feel bad for Andy, and the other people that have real, non-refundable money down on this...

Ben, et al.

I had the same experience. Went to celebrity.com today and discovered we don't have a reservation. We booked Constellation for April 13, 2007 while aboard the Infinity in April.

So, I called the Captain's Club and discovered the drydock thing, so switched to May 12, 2007 13 days West Coast/Alaska aboard the Summit. As it turned out, it is a better deal. For less than $140.00 more, we go 13 days instead of just 10 and have the same aft Concierge class cabin. So, can't complain about that!

Actually, we had already done the same Southern Caribbean itinerary aboard the Summit in April of 2005. But, did want to go to St. Kitts again and ride on the railroad! Oh, well another time! But, then this is only working for us because we want to go back to San Francisco and also haven't yet done Alaska!

I do wish that Celebrity would send out e-mails informing booked cruisers instead of letting you find out because you can't find your reservation when you go to their website!:mad:

Captain Cosmo... where'd that come from ???

I don't think anyone is taking a ho-hum attitude at this... I'm surely po'ed at the fact that a cruise that I researved, with good money, can be pulled out from under me, with no explaination as to why...

I spent most of the day today, talking with my cruise mates, and coming up with alternate plans... did I want to be doing this today???? hell no!

I wouldn't go so far as saying that X is alone in this... from what I understand, this happens with any line... not just X. I'm not a loyalist... I do like X's product... but let me tell you, when I went out there researching today... EVERY line was on my screen... it just was dumb luck that we are able to switch over to the 3/23 cruise instead.

I feel bad for Andy, and the other people that have real, non-refundable money down on this...

Hi Templed !

Can you do me a favor ? Can you email me privately by clicking on the link below, and tell me what Celebrity informed you ? I keep hearing the sailing could still be on. I do think it is doubtful, but I would like to hear of your experience today. We are also considering the 3/23 sailing, but was told not to make any changes yet. Thanks !

Andy, please pardon my "butting in" here, but we are booked on the cruise the week before the cancelled cruise and according to the Captain's Club gal I spoke with, the one following our April 6th 7 day Mercury cruise is indeed cancelled. Hoping they don't start the work while we're on board!!:rolleyes:

Andy, please pardon my "butting in" here, but we are booked on the cruise the week before the cancelled cruise and according to the Captain's Club gal I spoke with, the one following our April 6th 7 day Mercury cruise is indeed cancelled. Hoping they don't start the work while we're on board!!:rolleyes:

Hi 4 Cruisers !

This is about the Constellation sailing on 4/13/07. If you are on Mercury, you probably have nothing to worry about :)

Enjoy your Cruise !

Archived