Just booked Alaska!!!! Looking for any advice....

ccarroll57

Just got back from our Caribbean cruise on Anthem of the Seas and booked next June on Explorer of the Seas for an Alaska cruise out of Seattle!!!

I'm starting my research but if anyone has any advice on what to bring, the port of Seattle, the ship or any of the ports, I would appreciate it. I'm really excited to do some excursions, specifically whale watching. Here is my itinerary:

Sailing Itinerary

Date Port Arrive Depart Activity

15-Jun Seattle,Washington 4:00 PM

16-Jun Cruising Cruising

17-Jun Alaska InsidePassage Cruising

17-Jun Juneau, Alaska 12:00 PM 9:00 PM Docked

18-Jun Skagway, Alask 7:00 AM 8:30 PM Docked

19-Jun Tracy ArmFjord, Alaska 7:00 AM 12:00 PM Cruising

20-Jun Cruising Cruising

21-Jun Victoria,British Columbia 9:00 AM 6:00 PM Docked

22-Jun Seattle, Washington 6:00 AM

Welcome! I just booked my very first cruise ever for Alaska, June 2018. Cannot wait!

I have found a wealth of information about, well, everything both here and on my cruise line's website. We're both starting early, so there is time to do research. You've got a leg up on me in that you've actually been a cruise ship, so that's a great start! In addition to this Alaska board, be sure to check out the board about your specific cruise line.

Best of luck to you!

Past trip reports are a good resource ... see STICKYs near the top of the page. They are first hand accounts that provide information on the ship, ports, excursions, DIY activities, etc.

There are books specific to Alaska cruises. Check them out from your library or buy. Ann Vipond - Alaska by Cruiseship and Fodor - Alaska Ports of Call.

Look for a thread called HELPFUL RESOURCES which is probably on pg 2 or 3 of this forum. It has web sites for each of the ports, town Visitor Guides, Forest Service, Mendenhall Glacier, Glacier Bay, the Alaska Tourism board, and other useful web sites.

Have fun with your research and planning !

Find or start a roll call for your cruise. That way you get to know people that you will be cruising with. We're leaving for our Alaska cruise in two weeks. Enjoy.

Allan

This itinerary is one of the least "Alaska itineraries" in Alaska. If you are really interested in Alaska, you may want to get some Alaska books and make sure this is the trip you want (especially since you are coming from clear across the country). I would never recommend this itinerary. I would look into glaciers also. So far, no large cruise ships have made it into Tracy Arm this year (they substitute Endicott Arm) and last year, no ships made it in until August. I am one who was not impressed with RCCL in Alaska. I think there are better lines with better itineraries. I guess it depends if you are interested in Alaska or the ship more. Good luck with whatever you decide.

This itinerary is one of the least "Alaska itineraries" in Alaska. If you are really interested in Alaska, you may want to get some Alaska books and make sure this is the trip you want (especially since you are coming from clear across the country). I would never recommend this itinerary. I would look into glaciers also. So far, no large cruise ships have made it into Tracy Arm this year (they substitute Endicott Arm) and last year, no ships made it in until August. I am one who was not impressed with RCCL in Alaska. I think there are better lines with better itineraries. I guess it depends if you are interested in Alaska or the ship more. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have to disagree. If this is the OP first cruise to Alaska there is no bad itinerary. And even if it is the second or in my case over 30 Alaskan cruises, you will never see or do everything Alaska has to offer. Why do you think that glaciers are the main reason we cruise Alaska. Maybe it could be a bear or whale watching tour. There are a lot of places for adventure in all three ports for someone that likes to hike. How about the history of Skagway and the gold rush and riding the train or renting a car to Emerald Lake.. You may like to fish. Lots of local charters to take care of you. There are float plane and helicopter tours. The Lumberjack show. Totem poles at Saxman. And how about a drink or two at the Red Dog or Red Onion Saloons. Now I know a lot of these activities do cost a bit but isn't half of the fun about a cruise is researching and planning a budget

After all, the cruise only last a week or two but the planning takes months. I will be going back again this season for my 3rd and 4th weeks next month on the Sun and I am still researching what new things to do.

There are float plane and helicopter tours. The Lumberjack show. Totem poles at Saxman. And how about a drink or two at the Red Dog or Red Onion Saloons.

Tell me how they are going to see the Lumberjack show and the Totem Poles at Saxman?

Every cruise is a compromise but this is the worst itinerary in Alaska. It visits the fewest amount of ports in Alaska compared to every other ship during the normal cruise schedule.

I have to agree with Coral. This by far the worst itinerary in Alaska. Most people only cruise once to Alaska and they picked an awful schedule. I would also suggest picking up Alaska cruise books and look into booking another ship and itinerary if their goal is to see Alaska. There is plenty of availability so the ship was not chosen due to the only ship with space like many this year who picked this ship.

.i agree with Coral ....this is not a great itinerary. Only 2 Alaska ports. And the port time in juneau might be limiting.

But the OP isn't travelling until next yr. Perhaps their research will lead them to a different itinerary or they will be happy with the choice they made.

That's the point of research.

This really is not a good itinerary for Alaska. Coral and Mapleleaves are correct. In Juenau -- one of your two ports -- you arrive late which will limit excursions. I doubt you will get to Tracy Arm. Most people do want to see a glacier on their first trip to Alaska. If you don't it can be disappointing. You will probably get re-directed to Endicott Arm. I wouldn't do this trip on your first trip to Alaska. Sorry to be direct but it is honest.

I am also in agreement that this is the least desirable itinerary for an Alaska cruise - 1st or any. Only 2 ports - Tracy Arm (iffy) and no Ketchikan stop at all. It requires long flights and considerable expense so why not pick the best option?

I normally sail Princess but I am actually booked on the Radiance SB from Seward next year. It will nice to visit Icy Strait and I have friends sailing with me :)

Thank you all for the advice. That is why I posted, to get suggestions, so I take no offense to the negative responses to the itinerary. I am paying a lot of money and want the best experience possible. I will look at other itineraries with my TA. This was attractive as we have always wanted to visit Seattle but there is another option with RC that starts or ends in Vancouver which would still allow us to hit Seattle before or after.

Thank you all for the advice. That is why I posted, to get suggestions, so I take no offense to the negative responses to the itinerary. I am paying a lot of money and want the best experience possible. I will look at other itineraries with my TA. This was attractive as we have always wanted to visit Seattle but there is another option with RC that starts or ends in Vancouver which would still allow us to hit Seattle before or after.

Glad you appreciate the feedback. Sailings from Seattle also lack the wonderful scenery when sailing in or out of Vancouver and you may find that the flights are just as reasonable - since I have found RT to Seattle to be high compared to the past. Don't overlook other cruise lines too ;)

If you go into Seattle the train from there to Vancouver is really nice! Good luck choosing - you will love Alaska :D

Before you go to your TA - I would recommend getting a few Alaska books. Alaska by Cruiseship (Anne Vipond) is a great one to start with. Alaska Cruise Handbook by Joe Upton is also good. Frommers and Fodors are usually good also (haven't seen recent ones). Look at the ports and glaciers that interest you and find an itinerary that would match that. Then, speak with your TA. Alaska really is amazing.

So I missed on Ketchikan. My bad.:loudcry:.

Every port has something to offer if you judge your time well.

No matter how one looks at the itinerary -- it is not a good itinerary. 2 ports in Alaska and one arriving at 12 pm. And the 3rd choice for glaciers by most people. You may want to look at itinerary next time before commenting.

I have several posts on my travel blog...http://www.zest4travel.wordpress.com...on the different ports and glaciers in Alaska. There is also a packing list. I have been on 10 Alaska cruises and will sail again this summer. Alaska is amazing...we obviously love it! Hope you find some helpful information and have a wonderful cruise. :) :ship:

No matter how one looks at the itinerary -- it is not a good itinerary. 2 ports in Alaska and one arriving at 12 pm. And the 3rd choice for glaciers by most people. You may want to look at itinerary next time before commenting.

Then why does RCCL use this itinerary? Not only for this season but again next year. Are you suggesting that most people currently booked on this cruise are going to be disappointed. Not going to Ketchikan and short port times. It is obviously popular for some cruisers. Or does she sail half full? After all there are so many ships and itineraries doing Alaska that there is something for everyone. Even for the cruisers sailing on the Explorer.

I booked my first Alaska cruise in February 2014 for May 2015 doing Radiance of the Seas southbound from Seward to Vancouver. In early 2015 (before sailing on Radiance) I booked to do a B2B on Explorer (Alaska and Pacific Coastal) in September 2016. After the journey to get to Seward (via Vancouver, Seattle, Anchorage and the Seward Highway) I was already completely in love and doubting my decision for September 2016. After doing the cruise portion I was in no doubt, the Explorer Alaska itinerary just didn't compare (and neither would the journey to and from the start and end of the cruise). I landed back home and the same day cancelled the Explorer cruise.

Had I not done Radiance I'm completely sure I would have been totally over the moon with the Explorer itinerary and what I had got to see and experience and I know it would have left me wanting more.

You can only do what's right for you and if Explorer and the itinerary works for you, I'm sure with planning and research into what you can see and do in each stop, you will have an incredible cruise.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

I was under the impression that the OP was booked and looking for suggestions for things to do on there cruise. Almost all the suggestions are to pick another cruise. That the OP was wrong with there original decision. Cancel and re-book somewhere else. Maybe changing the cruise is not an option. Maybe it is. But when it comes to cruising Alaska there is no right or wrong itinerary. Just get there. And when you are there, there are NO "Must" things to do. Just research activities you enjoy and do as much as you can. But watch that budget. It adds up quickly. And then after the cruise you can start planning your next Alaskan cruise.

And then after the cruise you can start planning your next Alaskan cruise.

For some people, Alaska is only possibly a one time option, so making sure you do at as right and as suitably for you the first time is the best way forward.

If OP is happy with their choice after their research (which is what virtually everyone has suggested) then nothing a group of strangers can say will change their mind.