8/7 Sensation was Sensational

iluvdoxies

Just home yestersay and we had a great time---no complaints. The entire staff and crew were wonderful and some even managed to exceed my expectations (which is hard to do)

We drove to the port and arrived about 1115- got a porter right away and then I waited for dh to park car- he was back in a wink and we proceeded to check in- Very short lines at that point- got checked in a we were group # 6.

Anyhow, very organized and we were onboard by 1210!

Went up to Lido deck and ate- turkey sand from the grill for me and burger for dh and of course drinks!

We had booked this cruise on short notice, so cabin choices were not great- it was a full ship so no chance of an upgrade- we booked u2 and that's what we got- 2 portholes. The room was fine, but noisy when the anchor dropped--but we knew it would be that way.

We called our friend Johnny Stone who is the piano player and he met us in hte Polo lounge for a cpuple of drinks- it was so good to see him again! Plus he's a very charismatic piano player--and so much fun.

Soon it was time for life boat drill--then we unpacked and then time for dinner we had the 615pm which is just what we wanted--George the Greek was the maitr'de.

We had a table for 6 and enjoyed our tablemates very much- they were all first time cruisers--our wait staff Peter and his assis JOhn treated us like royality all week- I thought the food was good, esp the filet mignon and prime rib.

Our cabin steward, Sveltlana really exceeded our expectations- cant rave enough about her- and we didnt ask for any thing special- she asked if it was our first cruise and we said no- so the next day she asked dh what kind of towel animals we had NOT had , plus we got 2 a day. Her evening assis told us jokes each night and just loved to talk- he was from Croatia---

On the night of the repeater's party- she gave us 4 Sensation pins!!! So the person who had posted earlier that no pins were given out-- so sorry u didnt receive any.

We met a lot of nice people- hi Gail and Woody!

All the staff and crew were smiling and friendly---I was worried after one poster said the crew was unenthusiastic-

All in all, some of the most friendly crew we have met.

Michael was the cd and he's so funny- we have sailed with him before- the 2 shows were very goos- the 2nd one I enjoyed more as there were more variety of songs- the 1st one was all latin type music.

Of course we went to the piano bar every night and met some "regulars" there and Johnny was the best as usual.

The bar staff in there were fabulous----

Debarkation was pretty painless- our color was next to last off so no wait for elevator- we had breakfast on the Lido deck and just chilled out- we were off by 1020-Michael did ask to be out of your cabins by 845.

We tipped on our s &s, and gave extra to our cabin steward and bar staff in hte piano bar.

Turned out it was Johnny's last contract, his replacement was there early. So his wife was thinking he wasnt due to finish until Mon and she was out of town- so we ended up giving him a ride home(he lives just about 15 min from us)

Weather was perfect but very hot. In Cayman, we just did a little shopping-in Coz, we did go to Paradise Beach-and we were so glad we did--everything there is clean and the water was gorgeous- we did meet Paradise Tom- we spent about 4 hours there- the nachos are yummy and the frozen drink too!

any questions just ask- we might lose power here tonight- Charley is coming our way!

ILUVDOXIES,

Thanks so much for your post. DH and I sail the Sensation October 10th, on our first cruise.

Did you have or hear mention of the "sewer smell" while on-board?

Glad to see your input on the quality of the food, I read one recent post that rated it so-so. I know each person palate is different. I am considered a very good cook and have DH quite spoiled. He had to be convinced that he wanted to go on a cruise, so I want everything to be exceptional. At the very least, he will be glad not to have to clean the kitchen, which he is very good at.

Did you try the resturant that you have to pay additional for? His B-day falls during the cruise and I am considering it for that evening.

Any "one thing" not to miss while at one of the ports or on-board the sensation?

Nice to see your love for the doxies extends to those with the most need.

xntric1

ILUVDOXIES,

Did you try the resturant that you have to pay additional for? His B-day falls during the cruise and I am considering it for that evening.

xntric1

I didn't think the Sensation had any pay restaurant???

Doxie: Is there a movie theater on board? Also, I've heard conflicting reports of a 9 hole mini-golf on board. Can you clear this up?

Thanks,

I thought I saw one the other night when checking on the carnival site...but what I clicked on may have taken me to a "general" site refering to things available on "some" ships, not just the Sensation. It refered to it by name, (which I cannot remember) so I thought I was on still "on the Sensation".

Hey D*

Unless they put one there since last October, I don't belive there is a "pay

restaurant". They do have them on the larger ships, however.

I don't believe there is a movie theatre or a miniture golf course either....sorry.

There is volleyball, basketball and an outdoor running track.

Sunnye

No pay restaurant when we were there, no movie theatre and i dont remember golf either... small ship by todays standards, but very nice and quaint. We loved her and cannot wait to sail on her on the inaugral sailing from NOLA!!!! We had a fabulous time, fabulous food, fabulous entertainment, in fact, it was fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOw - I am very happy about the volleyball (for my daughter) and basketball(for my son) - I have been nervous that my very sports minded 7 year old son would get bored - but if he can be shooting hoops he'll be happy!

Anything else that I may not know?? ha

Sorry to be so long in responding- our power was out due to Charley (we live in the Orlando area). Just got power last night- thank God we had minimal damage!

Yes, our doxies were glad to see us!

No there is not a speciality rest. but the food was excellent in the dining room.

Dont remember about volleyball or basketball courts, but no golf.

No sewer smell anywhere-

Coffee was pretty strong and sometimes had a funny taste when u ordered it from room service- it was better on the Lido deck and best in the dining room.

Now I have a mountain of wash to do- vacation clothes as well as the regular wash-

Hope no more hurricanes this year!

Archived