RCCL + Kids

ae_soleil

MY husband and I, and our three little ones, and my father in law will all be taking a cruise over Thanksgiving.

We've never cruised with the kids before. At the time of cruising, they'll be 1, 2 and 3.

What's the easiest way you've gone cruising with kids this little? Is our only real room option to get two adjoining rooms?

I've been trying to do my own research on the website but over the last couple days it hasn't really been working out.

We've squeeze 4 in a cabin, but we learned that having two connecting staterooms was, by far, the BEST way to go, even with kids who were 2 and 4 at the time. We set one room for the kids, with their toys and belongings, and connected the portable DVD player to the TV. This was the "play room" while the other room was more of the quiet room where the kids (and adults!) took naps. At night we'd make sure that the connecting door was propped open and we'd block the door to the outside with a chair for added peace of mind.

As far as the kids program goes, our 2 yo daughter was too young for Adventure Ocean but she could attend Royal Babies and Tots for a fee. She absolutely loved it and attended a few times during our time at sea. Well worth it. Our son had also attended Royal Babies on a previous cruise when he was 15 months old and also loved it.

The best piece of advice that I can give you is that you don't overpack. They really don't need all the things that you may think they need on a vacation. I read about people bringing inflatable pools, large strollers, etc. Don't!

- Bring a handful of their favorite toys (which we brought in a small backpack) and leave the rest.

- Get some cheap and compact umbrella strollers for your time ashore, but don't bother with those huge transformer style strollers.

- Plan your activities ashore to minimize the use of transportation (many ports have plenty to do within walking distance) which means not having to worry about bringing car seats either. If you're driving to the port, leave all the extra junk in the car.

- Take advantage of the ship's laundry. You don't need to pack 3 daily outfits per kid. Just send your laundry out once or twice during the cruise. Yes, it costs money but it will make your vacation more enjoyable.

Most importantly, understand that the experience will be different than cruising without kids. You may not get to do everything that you traditionally like to do. You may want to dress them up on formal night and go to the MDR, but they may feel like going to the buffet in whatever the are wearing and eating mac and cheese (happened to us more than once [emoji23]).

Finally, set aside some time for mom and dad. Yes, it's a family vacation, but we've learned that being tied together 24/7 isn't enjoyable for everyone. You don't want to look back and think of how exhausting your vacation was because you didn't take any breaks.

And one more thing; some people may try to discourage you from taking young kids on a cruise. Either they haven't done it, or they haven't done it right. It's a wonderful experience, and even if the kids are too young to remember it, you and your husband will. Our kids have been cruising since they were 15 months old and have been on 6 cruises even though they are now only 5 and 7 years old. No regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

You're a family, and families vacation together! I, too, would recommend 2 connecting cabins....on some ships, there is a balcony that connects to an inside cabin....which is ideal (and cheaper) for families! Kids don't need or want a balcony! The ship will provide P&P's for you, if needed...just let them know in advance!

We've squeeze 4 in a cabin, but we learned that having two connecting staterooms was, by far, the BEST way to go, even with kids who were 2 and 4 at the time. We set one room for the kids, with their toys and belongings, and connected the portable DVD player to the TV. This was the "play room" while the other room was more of the quiet room where the kids (and adults!) took naps. At night we'd make sure that the connecting door was propped open and we'd block the door to the outside with a chair for added peace of mind.

As far as the kids program goes, our 2 yo daughter was too young for Adventure Ocean but she could attend Royal Babies and Tots for a fee. She absolutely loved it and attended a few times during our time at sea. Well worth it. Our son had also attended Royal Babies on a previous cruise when he was 15 months old and also loved it.

The best piece of advice that I can give you is that you don't overpack. They really don't need all the things that you may think they need on a vacation. I read about people bringing inflatable pools, large strollers, etc. Don't!

- Bring a handful of their favorite toys (which we brought in a small backpack) and leave the rest.

- Get some cheap and compact umbrella strollers for your time ashore, but don't bother with those huge transformer style strollers.

- Plan your activities ashore to minimize the use of transportation (many ports have plenty to do within walking distance) which means not having to worry about bringing car seats either. If you're driving to the port, leave all the extra junk in the car.

- Take advantage of the ship's laundry. You don't need to pack 3 daily outfits per kid. Just send your laundry out once or twice during the cruise. Yes, it costs money but it will make your vacation more enjoyable.

Most importantly, understand that the experience will be different than cruising without kids. You may not get to do everything that you traditionally like to do. You may want to dress them up on formal night and go to the MDR, but they may feel like going to the buffet in whatever the are wearing and eating mac and cheese (happened to us more than once [emoji23]).

Finally, set aside some time for mom and dad. Yes, it's a family vacation, but we've learned that being tied together 24/7 isn't enjoyable for everyone. You don't want to look back and think of how exhausting your vacation was because you didn't take any breaks.

And one more thing; some people may try to discourage you from taking young kids on a cruise. Either they haven't done it, or they haven't done it right. It's a wonderful experience, and even if the kids are too young to remember it, you and your husband will. Our kids have been cruising since they were 15 months old and have been on 6 cruises even though they are now only 5 and 7 years old. No regrets.

All of this was EXCELLENT advice, thank you! I never even thought about using laundry services to cut down on clothes. That's a huge help.We were planning on just bringing one umbrella stroller for the littlest. We have a ginormous double stroller that I would never in my wildest dreams even attempt to bring on a cruise haha.

We fully plan on utilizing the nursery at least a couple times so that we can do an excursion and go see a show, but with 2 of them in there I know we won't be going too crazy with it since it gets awfully expensive.

Go to cruise discussion topics, then special interest cruising, then family cruising. You should get a lot of info there.

FYI, I may be wrong but I've read they do not sell diapers on ship. You'll find out more of what you need to know on that forum.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Our LO is almost 4, she has already been on two cruises in her lifetime with us, and we are planning on going on another one at the end of February. She sailed with us on Carnival at 11 months, Royal at 18 months, and the one in February will also be on Royal, with her just a couple weeks shy of her 4th birthday. Both cruise lines were really accommodating, and had open playtime in the mornings, where they set out a bunch of age-appropriate toys to play with, and neither trip had more than 2 or 3 kids playing with the toys at one time.

I know on Royal you can purchase and reserve Huggies diapers, wipes and diaper cream, and even Gerber baby food for delivery to your stateroom when you arrive and throughout your trip, which will save you a huge amount of space packing your suitcases. The program is called "Babies 2 Go!" on Royal's website, but I do not know how much it costs.

We have a lightweight travel stroller that we take with us for travel with our LO, and it works out perfectly. I do not know how far you need to travel, but we do not take a car seat on cruises, because it is such a hassle to carry, we really don't use it while we are on the ship, and we don't even have much need for it on excursions.

Hope this helps!

...we have a ginormous double stroller that I would never in my wildest dreams even attempt to bring on a cruise haha.

We fully plan on utilizing the nursery at least a couple times so that we can do an excursion and go see a show, but with 2 of them in there I know we won't be going too crazy with it since it gets awfully expensive.

Glad that the suggestions were helpful. [emoji3] Yes, the nursery can add up quickly. We only used it on 2-3 hour intervals here and there, as you said to go see a show, have a specialty dinner, or just to relax at the solarium, etc but we considered it money well spent.

About those huge strollers, we've seen a few parked outside staterooms because they won't even fit through the door [emoji23].

About the diapers and baby food suggestion above, yes you can pre order them in advance and they'll be waiting for you in your stateroom, but we considered that option to be overpriced. But once again, it may be a good option for some and you may consider it to be worth the extra money. What we've done in the past on cruises where we know we'll be stopping at a port with stores near the port (like Key West and San Juan) is that we will plan on restocking there. This will cut down on packing but I'll admit that it can be a gamble if those port stops are cancelled or changed.

Edited by Tapi

I think the do ability of this is dependent on your relationship with Grandpa and if HE is interested in cruising with kids. I would (and have many times with my mom) book one of the kids with the grandparents. They don't necessarly have to sleep there, but you would need a room that can hold 4 and you would have to use the pullman if you what them all to sleep in the same room.

The choice of ship needs to be done with the kids needs first. You are going to need a few things to do. Keep in mind that most ships don't let kids in diapers in the pool water. Some may have a small splash area, but the vast majority do not.

If grandpa wants to go and have a trip with the kids, he wants to help with the kids as a family, then potentially it is a good idea. However, the rate for each human is the same and that is a lot to pay for a trip that is going to look a lot like life at home except for potentially a little harder.

Mine are 8 and 10 now and we traveled a lot when they were little, but we waited to cruise until they were old enough to have a few activities available to them. I am cheap and could not justify paying what it cost for my kids basically to run around on the deck all day.

• 3 weeks later...

Royal carribean had a "family room" that can accommodate 5-6 people. We used it on it last cruse with 3 kids and it was wonderful. Larger cabin, a separate room with bunk beds that can be curtained off for naps, sleep time but it still kept everyone close. You cannot book these cabins online and I'm not even sure if all ships have them. We found out about it by calling them directly. The only downside is 1 bathroom. In all the vacations we have done with kids over the last 12 years cruising is by far the easiest and most enjoyable. Packing can be a nightmare but once there, mealtimes are easy with plenty of options, fun excursions are available and with kids clubs there are plenty of options for adult time. Have fun!

Royal carribean had a "family room" that can accommodate 5-6 people. We used it on it last cruse with 3 kids and it was wonderful. Larger cabin, a separate room with bunk beds that can be curtained off for naps, sleep time but it still kept everyone close. You cannot book these cabins online and I'm not even sure if all ships have them. We found out about it by calling them directly. The only downside is 1 bathroom. In all the vacations we have done with kids over the last 12 years cruising is by far the easiest and most enjoyable. Packing can be a nightmare but once there, mealtimes are easy with plenty of options, fun excursions are available and with kids clubs there are plenty of options for adult time. Have fun!

The family interior and balcony rooms are AMAZING...... they are HUGE..... LOVE them. I think I liked the interior one better as it was much bigger. We have 5 in the family so it was easy to book that room. Otherwise book connecting rooms. We also went with MIL and we put one of the kids in with her. She has the room to herself and the kids slept in the queen bed. The family room the kids age 3 and 4 slept in the bottom bund with feet in the middle. Oldest who was 9 slept on the top bunk. We never opened the sleeper couch.