How do you organize a meet and greet?

Joanandjoe

Well, the few M&Gs I've attended have all been informal and usually organized via Roll Calls. The last one was kind of a "Hey, we're all going to meet at xxx lounge at yyy time. Show up if y'all want, and bring friends."

That seemed to work well. Besides, if it gets too formal and too organized, it starts to become 'work' and not 'vacation'.

Just my opinion.

I could not have said it better. The last thing I feel that we need is Regent corporate involvement in our M&G's. It sounds as if this is a relatively new thing. I'll be interested in reading how it works out!

• 6 months later...

Wes, this is sad to hear. The M&G's that we've participated in on Regent have been fantastic. If/when the announcement comes out, Cruise Critic will then be involved in it (not that I don't like CC - I do) and who knows who else will be involved. Guess that it is time for me to stop going to these events. I do not like structure - giving out my full name and especially do not want to give out my suite number to anyone (have had bad experiences doing that). The way our last M&G was set up, only Regent knew our suite numbers which was fine with me.

Life will go on - not a huge deal!

Travelcat2 whilst you say in your post you don't like giving out cabin numbers I seem to recal you have mentioned a few times for your forthcoming cruise you are in an aft Master suite have you not? . Also you have mentioned in posts a previous cruise was a Grand suite below observation lounge?

Travelcat2 whilst you say in your post you don't like giving out cabin numbers I seem to recal you have mentioned a few times for your forthcoming cruise you are in an aft Master suite have you not? . Also you have mentioned in posts a previous cruise was a Grand suite below observation lounge?

The problem is that I did give out our suite number on Roll Call for our last cruise (not for the upcoming one) and there was definitely a problem having done that. When someone asked about a Master Suite on the Explorer (aft), I responded but there are four aft Master Suites on the Explorer and no one should know which one we are in. I bring this up to warn others that there could be consequences when your put your email address or suite number out on a public board (any public board).

In terms of the M&G, we're doing an informal one by the Pool Bar after embarkation on Sunday. These are the casual (non-structured) events that we find enjoyable. I'll be taking photos for myself (but won't post them because I strongly believe in a person's right to privacy). The photos that I have posted of crew members have been with their permission.

P.S. There were two Grand Suites above the Observation Lounge (forward). I did not give out the suite number on this board but the people that were active on Roll Call were so nice (and we had communicated for months) that I gave out the information. I forget that there are lurkers out there.

Sincerely believe the Spock truism here (pardon the Star Trek reference) but the good of the many outweighs the needs of the few. A formal program (and I have personal experience with the Silversea program from it's start almost four years ago) will greatly increase the reach of Regent & Cruise critic. Presently, meet & mingles only happen when action oriented posters like TC, others organize them, but most Regent cruises have no CC and Regent meet and mingle. Soon this will change for the benefit of all of Regent's guests (meeting new friends), Regent's bookings (will increase) and cruise critics advertising $$ (increased clicks). Am betting the new formal program will offer the opportunity for each Regent sailing to organize a meet mingle provided a minimum number of Regent/Cruise Critics sign up (on Silversea it is six cruise critics).

Am guessing the Regent/CC program will be along the lines of Silversea--the only people who know what suite your in will be the algorithm that Cruise Critic uses to register each guest by their booking #. If you want to check on who is in your registered meet & Mingle only that person's Cruise Critic name appears along with your sailing. Cruise critic only shares these booking#'s, suite #'s with the Regent ship that is hosting the meet & mingle. Accordingly, then the entertainment/CD staff can insure (using this booking/suite # information) guest relations (or whoever is charged with this responsibility) has printed Regent/Cruise critic meet & mingle invitations in your suite on embarkation day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by WesW

The way our last M&G was set up, only Regent knew our suite numbers which was fine with me.

!

How did that work? Did every individual have to email someone in Regent? Or did you just register your interest in attending when on board?

Anyway from Wes's post it sounds like CC do respect the security of personal data when helping to organise these events

Presumably there is no issue with CC members continuing to organise informal events if they so wish

Hi again Wes - I do "get it" however I do not like it. The "new" system would require too much structure (i.e. doing what THEY want at a time that THEY determine). For the record, I coordinate very few Meet and Greets. The best one we have ever attended was arranged by Zqueeze1 on our last cruise. The cruise that begins this coming Sunday was arranged by another CC'er. I should also add that there were invitations provided by Regent on our November cruise...... you don't need CC or Regent Corporate to get involved (not sure who knows less about the onboard experience on Regent...... Corporate or CC).

I also believe in doing what the majority of the people involved want to do (vs. having the time and date dictated to us). Being a very "free spirit", I refuse to be bound by arbitrary rules set forth by people that have no clue what passengers want.

While I respect your view, I will not be partaking in the "new" Meet & Mingles and may decide to set up set up little group M&G's that are separate from what is dictated to us by CC or Regent.

P.S. While we like Silversea, I have no desire whatsoever for Regent to copy what they are doing.

I find the idea of Regent helping out to be cool beans!

Then there were several comments on name tags. As someone who is HORRID remembering names, I love name tags as they give me at least a snowball's chance of knowing your name when I see you again on the ship. So keep 'em!

I find the idea of Regent helping out to be cool beans!

Then there were several comments on name tags. As someone who is HORRID remembering names, I love name tags as they give me at least a snowball's chance of knowing your name when I see you again on the ship. So keep 'em!

'

If you want Regent to do it, go for it. Our Meet and Greets are organized by Roll Call members. Generally someone offers to make name tags (and many times I've have fridge magnets made up with a photo of the ship and the dates of the cruise for the group and the officers that attend.

The "group" decides upon the day and time they would like to have it but Regent officers onboard let us know if that time conflicts with other events. In the case of our large M&G last November on the Explorer, the F&B Director (Daniela) suggested that we hold it in the Meridian Lounge (across the hall from the "Café" - aka the Coffee Connection). This was a perfect spot and was dedicated to our group. Roll Call members gave their names (and suite number if they were comfortable with it - not required) to the person organizing the event and they gave the list to Daniela. Regent prepared and sent out invitations.

Sincerely believe the Spock truism here (pardon the Star Trek reference) but the good of the many outweighs the needs of the few. A formal program (and I have personal experience with the Silversea program from it's start almost four years ago) will greatly increase the reach of Regent & Cruise critic. Presently, meet & mingles only happen when action oriented posters like TC, others organize them, but most Regent cruises have no CC and Regent meet and mingle. Soon this will change for the benefit of all of Regent's guests (meeting new friends), Regent's bookings (will increase) and cruise critics advertising $$ (increased clicks). Am betting the new formal program will offer the opportunity for each Regent sailing to organize a meet mingle provided a minimum number of Regent/Cruise Critics sign up (on Silversea it is six cruise critics).

Am guessing the Regent/CC program will be along the lines of Silversea--the only people who know what suite your in will be the algorithm that Cruise Critic uses to register each guest by their booking #. If you want to check on who is in your registered meet & Mingle only that person's Cruise Critic name appears along with your sailing. Cruise critic only shares these booking#'s, suite #'s with the Regent ship that is hosting the meet & mingle. Accordingly, then the entertainment/CD staff can insure (using this booking/suite # information) guest relations (or whoever is charged with this responsibility) has printed Regent/Cruise critic meet & mingle invitations in your suite on embarkation day

Wes,

I am thrilled at the possibility of Regent and CC getting together and hosting "official" CC Meet and Mingles! It has worked like a charm for many of the mass market ships, and also Crystal! Really takes all the work out of trying to organize an event while you are on vacation!

Dan, you're absolutely right. Crystal and Silversea are now the only luxury cruise lines that have a formal meet & mingle relationship--believe within a week this will change.

Not only does a formal CC and Regent meet and mingle make it turnkey/easy to organize--the increased reach of Regent & CC meet & mingles means more new Regent guests will get to experience this social setting. In the past, only when action is taken by a select minority of active posters resulted in a meet & mingle on very few Regent voyages. Soon, almost every Regent voyage will have the opportunity (if booked CC Regent guests sign up) to host a Regent and CC meet & mingle

Yes - big difference. While I do not know the details, there is a cost involved in having Cruise Critic sponsor these events.

P.S. This post from CC on the Silversea board sort of explains the way it works. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1844894 As you can tell, CC is definitely involved in the process rather than Silversea corporate.

Could someone who has experienced these events, let us know what sort of cost is involved? I couldn't find anything on the Silversea link to indicate how much guests are charged. Is it OK to use OBC?

Could someone who has experienced these events, let us know what sort of cost is involved? I couldn't find anything on the Silversea link to indicate how much guests are charged. Is it OK to use OBC?

The cost is not to CC members directly.

Thanks; no extra cost, so all sounds good to me with no downsides

I wonder when the first CC/Regent organised event will be available?

Regent pays for it (it is free" like "free" excursions. (n)) I'll let Wes speak to the question of timing).